Loader leaking down : Normal or Abnormal ?

tcpkubota

Equipment
L3301 HST, Land Pride 6' Finish Mower, Kubota ZD 1211 Zero Turn
Sep 28, 2015
Union City, TN
Hi all !

Question: I have a L3301 with a front end loader. When I park the tractor with the loader off the ground, I have noticed that when I return to the tractor the next day, the loader has leaked down and is resting on the ground.
I have also noticed that when loading dirt, the bucket will not always lift if i have a lot of forward pressure on the bucket while trying to lift the bucket.

I assume that the hydraulics is leaking down when parked.

Is this normal? The tractor is only a few months old.

Thanks

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hi all !

Question: I have a L3301 with a front end loader. When I park the tractor with the loader off the ground, I have noticed that when I return to the tractor the next day, the loader has leaked down and is resting on the ground.
I have also noticed that when loading dirt, the bucket will not always lift if i have a lot of forward pressure on the bucket while trying to lift the bucket.

I assume that the hydraulics is leaking down when parked.

Is this normal? The tractor is only a few months old.

Thanks

The leaking down is normal as a the O rings and other part start to age. On a side note - always place your bucket in the down position when parked - some will roll the bucket to keep the cutting edge covered. Explain more about the bucket not lifting ? On your machine there is a breakout force - and once it is reached it will not do anything until pressure is released. :)

tcpkubota

Equipment
L3301 HST, Land Pride 6' Finish Mower, Kubota ZD 1211 Zero Turn
Sep 28, 2015
Union City, TN
When loading material, if I drive the bucket into the bottom of the material pile, and attempt to curl the bucket and raise the bucket, the hydraulics will not lift the bucket up. Appears to have too much pressure for the hydraulics to pick up the bucket. In these cases, i have to tap the reverse relieve some of the pressure and raise the bucket.
I just assumed the tractor would have enough hydraulic power to raise the bucket or raise the back wheels if the load was too heavy... ????

Corney

Equipment
L1500DT, front end loader, mower, tiller, snow blower
It is serving no purpose driving your bucket into the base of a pile.

It will wear out your tires spinning and tax your lifting cylinders. As you go into the pile you should be lifting and tilting your bucket back as it fills.

Your can stall out the biggest Cat 998 loader ramming into the pile and trying to lift.

Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it.

Everything (three point attachments and loaders) should always be lower every time you shut down or park. It saves your hydraulics, seals and provides a secondary park brake.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Theres a guy that leaves his tractor bucket 6 feet in the air all the time. Drives me crazy. He works in a mine where safety is above and beyond anything else.

I try to relieve all hydraulic pressure whenever parking a machine. My forklift forks are down with tips being the lowest point to minimize trip hazard.

The plus is it makes hydraulic components last longer.

comfun1

Equipment
b7100 with 1630c loader
Jul 28, 2015
Independence
In '92 I bought a b7100 with fel brand new and the bucket would bleed down over night. The loader never has. Today the bleeding is so bad that with a full load of gravel in the bucket it will begin to spill within 15 seconds. I wish I knew how to repair it.

Eray

Equipment
L2501 HST
Feb 24, 2015
Lenoir City, Tennessee
I bought a new John deere 3032e about 6 years ago. When it was new the bucket would bleed down after about an hour. After the tractor got about 50 hours of use on it, the bucket quit leaking down. all I could figure was that the seals had to be used a little before they seated good.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
In '92 I bought a b7100 with fel brand new and the bucket would bleed down over night. The loader never has. Today the bleeding is so bad that with a full load of gravel in the bucket it will begin to spill within 15 seconds. I wish I knew how to repair it.
First thing to do is to figure out if it is the cylinders or the control valve. Get you bucket loaded, curl back.

With the bucket still on the ground and supported by the material pile you just loaded from, shut the tractor off.

Un-plug the curl lines at the couplers.

Start the tractor and raise the loader.

If the bucket bleeds off, then you have a cylinder seal problem.

If the bucket stays in the curled back position for an extended period of time, then your control valve is bad.

Let us know what the results of the test are and we can go from there.

Good luck.

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Sounds like you just need to repack the cylinders. Here's a video showing how https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHIv6VSvhI8
I would use/recommend the proper gland nut removal tool - but the pipe wrench seemed to work for the guy.

comfun1

Equipment
b7100 with 1630c loader
Jul 28, 2015
Independence
First thing to do is to figure out if it is the cylinders or the control valve. Get you bucket loaded, curl back.

With the bucket still on the ground and supported by the material pile you just loaded from, shut the tractor off.

Un-plug the curl lines at the couplers.

Start the tractor and raise the loader.

If the bucket bleeds off, then you have a cylinder seal problem.

If the bucket stays in the curled back position for an extended period of time, then your control valve is bad.

Let us know what the results of the test are and we can go from there.

Good luck.
My b7100 does not have couplers, I would have to use wrenches to remove the lines. I think I understand what you are saying though. If I could can find caps to screw on my bucket cylinders then I can perform the test you desribe. This sounds like the perfect way to pinpoint the problem. I am in the middle of a pretty good sized project with my tractor right now but for sure I am going to be doing this test as soon as time permits. Thanks so much.