Little Unplanned Nissan Project

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
Yesterday I had a doctors appointment and on my way home stopped for lunch. When I got back in my 2008 Nissan Titan and shifted into reverse, the shifter felt "funny". So, I backed up a bit and realized that the transmission was stuck in reverse. Fortunately, the parking lot was empty and I managed to make "reverse U turn" into the closest parking slot. I set the parking brake and turn off the engine. This had happened previously last August when a plastic bushing that connects the shifter to a push-pull cable for the transmission came apart and the cable got disconnected. Luckily, the console (as I learned previously) came apart with no tools and I saw the problem. The bushing that I had bought from Amazon, and paid around $30 just over 6 months earlier, had disintegrated. I manually shifted the car to start and then Drive and went home. The dealer does not sell the bushing, only the whole cable. Apparently the only aftermarket part advertised to fit, is POS.
I had taken the measurements on the Amazon part before I installed last time and the O.D. was 0.438 in., the I.D was 0.303 in. and the width 0.127 in.
Looking in the interweb found a Dorman 14797 bushing for a Jeep that seem to have the right O.D. and I.D for about $13. So, I went to Advanced Auto Parts and got it.
After trimming the length of the bushing a bit, it was a perfect fit! Nice and tight in place. This fix should work with several Nissan models.
In addition to the new bushing, I used a small piece of an "L" shaped aluminum sheet as "belt and suspenders" scheme to keep the cable lined up with the shifter pin in case of another bushing failure. With that, the shifter would still work but with a lot of slop.
IMG_20210422_094409.jpg
IMG_20210422_090254.jpg
IMG_20210421_154135.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Nice job., I’m sure this would help out on the Nissan forum also. Do you happen to be on the Clubfrontier forum, if not there’s a poser over there or two xrocketengineers on the lose!

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
Nice job., I’m sure this would help out on the Nissan forum also. Do you happen to be on the Clubfrontier forum, if not there’s a poser over there or two xrocketengineers on the lose!
Thanks. No, I am not on any Nissan forums. The only other forum I am on is the Miniforum in the UK for classic minis.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Not bad for a rocket engineer.
My daughters Grand Cherokee has a similar shift linkage that has failed and I've band-aided, I think you've given me some new ideas on a fix. :geek:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I remember doing something in a saturn years ago. -30 and buddy’s wife couldnt get car to move. That one broke a clip. So if i recall i made a sheet metal clip and fixed it permanently.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
My wife's pickup is a 2010 Nissan Frontier. One day a few months ago she went out to drive it and it would not shift into drive. It would go to reverse and neutral but would not go into drive at all. I went out and literally forced the shifter into drive. As I did that something in the shifter console "popped" and the shifter went into all the gears. I have no idea what was wrong but forcing it into drive seemed to have fixed the problem. She has not had any problems since. Everything is working properly now. It seems that sometimes a bigger hammer is the cure.

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
My wife's pickup is a 2010 Nissan Frontier. One day a few months ago she went out to drive it and it would not shift into drive. It would go to reverse and neutral but would not go into drive at all. I went out and literally forced the shifter into drive. As I did that something in the shifter console "popped" and the shifter went into all the gears. I have no idea what was wrong but forcing it into drive seemed to have fixed the problem. She has not had any problems since. Everything is working properly now. It seems that sometimes a bigger hammer is the cure.
Supposedly, the Nissan Frontier has the same setup. However, it is possible that the cable alignment might be better with the shifter. If that is the case, and the bushing failed, the shifter would "feel sloppy" moving back and forth but it would still work. The problem with the Titan is that the cable comes up through the floor on the left side of the console with a cable sheath retainer that tries to straighten the cable to line up with the console back and forth motion and connect to the shifter pin. But the cable is so stiff, that the rod end still tries to be to the right away from the pin. So, the bushing is doing two functions, allowing the back and forth motion of the shifter and also retaining the cable end on the pin by preventing it from coming off and jumping away.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Some of the frontiers have had that problem, I can’t remember what it is exactly but something comes lose and blocks it from shifting into forward gears. Usually you have to pull the console and have a look and fix. Before any long drives you may want to check it out to be safe.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Some of the frontiers have had that problem, I can’t remember what it is exactly but something comes lose and blocks it from shifting into forward gears. Usually you have to pull the console and have a look and fix. Before any long drives you may want to check it out to be safe.
Thanks, I appreciate the suggestion. Since it has been working well for several months I am not in a hurry to check it. Her truck is not used for any long distance drives. I know that I eventually will have to check it but I will probably wait until it exhibits some abnormal symptom again. It is not laziness, I just have so many projects going on right now that I think are more important. In this case, it is the most immediate need that gets my attention first. That is not a complaint, it is really a blessing. Idle hands are the devil's workshop.

Reactions: 1 user

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Thanks, I appreciate the suggestion. Since it has been working well for several months I am not in a hurry to check it. Her truck is not used for any long distance drives. I know that I eventually will have to check it but I will probably wait until it exhibits some abnormal symptom again. It is not laziness, I just have so many projects going on right now that I think are more important. In this case, it is the most immediate need that gets my attention first. That is not a complaint, it is really a blessing. Idle hands are the devil's workshop.
I gotcha, it’s working!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
neighbor just had his 17 titan towed off. Dunno what was/is ailing it. There is a Ford sitting there in it's place now; though I don't know if it's a rental, courtesy vehicle, or what.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Find an old machinest or young kid with a lathe, hand him a rod of Delrin or Teflon, and let him make a few.
With thos 'odd ball' dimension, I have to assume it's metirc....
Super easy job, maybe 1/2hr .