liquid fertilizer

crovol

Equipment
m9000
Jul 25, 2013
tennessee
what kind of liquid fertilize can i use in my small 25 gal atv sprayer?also where do you find it? thanks!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
That's a good question :D Here's another one :p:p

What are you planning on using the fertilizer for?

For lawn and flower bed fertilizer, I make my own and and use a sprayer attachment for the garden hose that mixes it with water, and you adjust the sprayer to mix with 20 gallons of water :D

Fertilizer recipe: going off from memory. I'll see if I can find the book tonight to double check.

1- 12 ounce beer ( If 16 ounce beer, drink 4 ounces)
1 cup ammonia
1 cup non detergent lemon dish soap
1- 12 ounce can of cola (do not use diet or decaf)
1 cup corn syrup
1 cup liquid fish poo ( can be found in with the miracle-gro)
1 cup ##-##-## fertilizer (I use the miracle-gro fertilizer to mix in watering jugs) and dissolve in enough warm water to turn to a liquid. And if flowers or shrubs, I use the mix dedicated for that group of flowers. For lawn, I mix in the multipurpose fertilizer.

Mix one ounce per gallon of water

If on grass, you can crush up two or three iron pills, dissolve in warm water and add to the mix as well.

This is an all purpose fertilizer for flowers and grass

Another option is to just pick up the fertilizer for your watering jugs and dissolve in warm water then add to your sprayer :)

Last edited:

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I use the Miracle Grow all purpose plant food that they sell in 5 pound canisters from Walmart. I mix 1 ounce per gallon of water for occasional fertilizing trees and shrubs. I use 1 ounce per 2 gallons of water for occasional fertilizing the grass.

zzsparky

Equipment
B7610
Apr 18, 2016
Vienna, Ohio
That's a good question :D Here's another one :p:p

What are you planning on using the fertilizer for?

For lawn and flower bed fertilizer, I make my own and and use a sprayer attachment for the garden hose that mixes it with water, and you adjust the sprayer to mix with 20 gallons of water :D

Fertilizer recipe: going off from memory. I'll see if I can find the book tonight to double check.

1- 12 ounce beer ( If 16 ounce beer, drink 4 ounces)
1 cup ammonia
1 cup non detergent lemon dish soap
1- 12 ounce can of cola (do not use diet or decaf)
1 cup corn syrup
1 cup liquid fish poo ( can be found in with the miracle-gro)
1 cup ##-##-## fertilizer (I use the miracle-gro fertilizer to mix in watering jugs) and dissolve in enough warm water to turn to a liquid. And if flowers or shrubs, I use the mix dedicated for that group of flowers. For lawn, I mix in the multipurpose fertilizer.

Mix one ounce per gallon of water

If on grass, you can crush up two or three iron pills, dissolve in warm water and add to the mix as well.

This is an all purpose fertilizer for flowers and grass

Another option is to just pick up the fertilizer for your watering jugs and dissolve in warm water then add to your sprayer :)
Will have to try this. What is the dish washing soap used for? Is it to help keep the liquid mixture on the leaves longer? If that is the case, am wondering if adding the same amount of soap to weed killer would help it remain on the leaves longer, increasing its effectiveness. But first things first. What is the real reason for adding dish soap?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I believe the soap was to make it stay longer. But soap also has nutrients that the plants like as well. I noticed when I was camping as a kid. On camping trips, we would usually dump the soapy water after doing dishes in the same place. After a week, the grass was three times taller then the rest of the grass.

I got the recipe out of a book that had homemade household cleaners and fertilizers.

zzsparky

Equipment
B7610
Apr 18, 2016
Vienna, Ohio
I believe the soap was to make it stay longer. But soap also has nutrients that the plants like as well. I noticed when I was camping as a kid. On camping trips, we would usually dump the soapy water after doing dishes in the same place. After a week, the grass was three times taller then the rest of the grass.

I got the recipe out of a book that had homemade household cleaners and fertilizers.
It's probably been 15 years or so, I saw a guy on TV talking about his many home brews and was promoting a book. I wonder if the book you have was written by this guy. He was really full of energy when he talked...seemed to have a solution for all sorts of things around the house...plants, bugs, etc. Was fun to watch and listen to this guy. I still remember some of the things he said to try. Trouble is, he made home brews that required a certain proportion of this to that. Can no longer remember all of the ingredients, let alone the proper proportions.

What is the name and author of the book? Wondering if it is sold on Amazon.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
It's probably been 15 years or so, I saw a guy on TV talking about his many home brews and was promoting a book. I wonder if the book you have was written by this guy. He was really full of energy when he talked...seemed to have a solution for all sorts of things around the house...plants, bugs, etc. Was fun to watch and listen to this guy. I still remember some of the things he said to try. Trouble is, he made home brews that required a certain proportion of this to that. Can no longer remember all of the ingredients, let alone the proper proportions.

What is the name and author of the book? Wondering if it is sold on Amazon.
Probably the same guy. They just went from tv to mailers instead :rolleyes:

He's got a whole slew of them.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...o=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=t&ref=pd_sl_6x0scya06x_e_p10

alansz400

Equipment
B7500. FEL, Piranha tooth bar, box scraper, post hole digger, 3 pt. bucket
Oct 26, 2013
Loudonville OHIO
I bought a used pull behind sprayer at a garage sale a few years ago and the guy told me he used it so boom spray bath water on his yard. It was a weird story like he was embarrassed to tell me. I didn't care what he used it for the price was right and it is a nice sprayer.

zzsparky

Equipment
B7610
Apr 18, 2016
Vienna, Ohio
Probably the same guy. They just went from tv to mailers instead :rolleyes:

He's got a whole slew of them.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...o=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=t&ref=pd_sl_6x0scya06x_e_p10
Could be the same guy. I noticed some of the books were published in the late 1990's. Thanks for the link. I saw a couple of books fairly cheap, so think I will buy a couple of them. Will also check my local library. It always amazes me on how many books people donate to them. Maybe I'll get lucky there also.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Could be the same guy. I noticed some of the books were published in the late 1990's. Thanks for the link. I saw a couple of books fairly cheap, so think I will buy a couple of them. Will also check my local library. It always amazes me on how many books people donate to them. Maybe I'll get lucky there also.
I've keep meaning get to get the one strictly for lawn care. :D

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
His name was "Jerry", something... A lot of his books were sold at K mart. I still use some of his "recipies" today. The soap is a wetting agent, makes the stuff cling to the the leaves.

zzsparky

Equipment
B7610
Apr 18, 2016
Vienna, Ohio
His name was "Jerry", something... A lot of his books were sold at K mart. I still use some of his "recipies" today. The soap is a wetting agent, makes the stuff cling to the the leaves.
That makes sense to me. So, must try the add some dish soap (same proportion) to my liquid weed killer to see if it helps. If it does help, then might be able to stretch the weed killer a little more. Never know.

zzsparky

Equipment
B7610
Apr 18, 2016
Vienna, Ohio
I've keep meaning get to get the one strictly for lawn care. :D
That book caught my eye as well. I recall something that was said about having a great lawn. The guy (assuming it is the same one we are talking about here) said to seed the lawn every spring, even while there is still snow on the ground if you live far enough north. He said that the seeds will lie dormant until the ground reaches a certain temperature. He also had some sort of home brew fertilizer for the grass (probably one with beer in it). I seed every spring, aerate the soil in the fall before putting down some fall blend fertilizer that helps the grass root system while the grass stays dormant. During the summer, I mulch mow instead of vacuuming up the grass clippings. Every few years, I add some lime to sweeten the soil some. The results have been good. Several neighbors are now following what I do. They are more happy with the results than paying for a lawn service company.

I would venture to say that every climate and soil requires a certain approach, but this routine in my area seems to work well for me.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
That book caught my eye as well. I recall something that was said about having a great lawn. The guy (assuming it is the same one we are talking about here) said to seed the lawn every spring, even while there is still snow on the ground if you live far enough north. He said that the seeds will lie dormant until the ground reaches a certain temperature. He also had some sort of home brew fertilizer for the grass (probably one with beer in it). I seed every spring, aerate the soil in the fall before putting down some fall blend fertilizer that helps the grass root system while the grass stays dormant. During the summer, I mulch mow instead of vacuuming up the grass clippings. Every few years, I add some lime to sweeten the soil some. The results have been good. Several neighbors are now following what I do. They are more happy with the results than paying for a lawn service company.

I would venture to say that every climate and soil requires a certain approach, but this routine in my area seems to work well for me.
Have you ever tried buying enough Bermuda seed to do 2 acre? :eek: I have to lime yearly do to oak trees. Finally after 4 years, I've been able to get something to grow besides moss in the front yard. I mulch to build up a top soil base in the yard. My property used to be cotton field so the soil is pretty barron. Now if we could find the miracle cure for spur weed in this area, I know quite a few people that would be ecstatic :) I've been looking for a pull behind aerator for the tractor.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You can get a soil test done at your local county extension service for a few dollars. Then you know exactly what you need.

zload

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2400HSD/47 John Deere Model M
Apr 14, 2015
FL
https://www.jerrybaker.com

He did a lot of PBS shows tv and radio, if you heard or saw them you'll recall that he is "America's Master Gardener" which he trademarked.

zzsparky

Equipment
B7610
Apr 18, 2016
Vienna, Ohio
Have you ever tried buying enough Bermuda seed to do 2 acre? :eek: I have to lime yearly do to oak trees. Finally after 4 years, I've been able to get something to grow besides moss in the front yard. I mulch to build up a top soil base in the yard. My property used to be cotton field so the soil is pretty barron. Now if we could find the miracle cure for spur weed in this area, I know quite a few people that would be ecstatic :) I've been looking for a pull behind aerator for the tractor.
I bought an aerator (plug core, of course) at my local Tractor Supply store on sale. Just add some 8X8X16 blocks to it. Like you said, it just pulls behind a lawn tractor and does a good job. Yard always looks funny after I do it (little plugs of soil everywhere) but the holes fill back in anyway. The mulching does a good job of replenishing nitrogen. My next door neighbor vacuums his grass, so I got him to agree to dump it in my compost piles. Mixed with the fall leaves, it composts well.

zzsparky

Equipment
B7610
Apr 18, 2016
Vienna, Ohio
You can get a soil test done at your local county extension service for a few dollars. Then you know exactly what you need.
I want to eventually do that once I figure out what I want to start planting. I use a PH soil tester for my grassy area, but that's been it. I think those extension services are great, as they really can get you on the right track regarding so many aspects of the soil. The cost in my area is reasonable as well.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
That makes sense to me. So, must try the add some dish soap (same proportion) to my liquid weed killer to see if it helps. If it does help, then might be able to stretch the weed killer a little more. Never know.

A lot of weed killers already contain something to break the surface tension of the liquid. It spreads out instead of making droplets. Surfactant is the actual terminology.