Linex’d my “step”

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Makes you wonder why Kubota puts a rubber mat on a steel pan, instead of just coating the whole surface, top and bottom. No rust, good traction and quiets the noise.
Exactly correct!
A mat on top of steel is the PERFECT place for rust form.
I have often wondered why people here on OTT inquire about new mat sources.
A mat may be OK for tractors in Nevada, but elsewhere a mat makes little sense!

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
A mat may be OK for tractors in Nevada, but elsewhere a mat makes little sense!
We only get 12-14 inches of precipitation a year. I'll take my chances. Fwiw, it only took a week or so to notice how little paint was in my foot area. Of course, that's over now that I have custom floor mats made out of stall mats.

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Makes you wonder why Kubota puts a rubber mat on a steel pan, instead of just coating the whole surface, top and bottom. No rust, good traction and quiets the noise.
Lol I don’t think Kubota cares about your step rusting through…It’s “make it look nice and ship it!” Also, their parts sales are huge, I’m sure…

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Are you using your tractor in areas where road salt is applied? I don’t understand these things rusting out unless salt is involved. I have seen tractors that spent years in coastal Oregon with no rust. Those areas get over 100” of precipitation annually.

Reactions: 1 user

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Are you using your tractor in areas where road salt is applied? I don’t understand these things rusting out unless salt is involved. I have seen tractors that spent years in coastal Oregon with no rust. Those areas get over 100” of precipitation annually.
Roads are heavily salted (central New Hampshire) and I need to salt my driveway because of a 100’ section being a serious slope. Lots of ice/sleet before a good snowfall too.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Roads are heavily salted (central New Hampshire) and I need to salt my driveway because of a 100’ section being a serious slope. Lots of ice/sleet before a good snowfall too.
Also that rubber holds moisture under there for a long time if it's not taken off and cleaned every once in a while. I try to get to mine at least every couple months if it's been in wet weather. These threads always remind me.. think I'll do it today! Thanks

Reactions: 3 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Also that rubber holds moisture under there for a long time if it's not taken off and cleaned every once in a while. I try to get to mine at least every couple months if it's been in wet weather. These threads always remind me.. think I'll do it today! Thanks
You might even consider spraying the steel deck with LPS-3 or Fluid Film, prior to replacing the rubber mat.

Reactions: 2 users

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I’ll post pics when it’s installed (waiting for warmer weather). This will outlast me now, I’m sure. 😂
I'm not sure who else does it but LineX has the option to put a nice sheen into the mix to help keep it looking New. Helps keep it from fading and looking dull.

That black on Kubota Orange will look awesome! Even though it's just a " Tractor"
I'm told!😊

Reactions: 2 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
If I ever do that, I'll probably go with a light or medium gray, to avoid making it a frying pan on sunny days.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
If I ever do that, I'll probably go with a light or medium gray, to avoid making it a frying pan on sunny days.
They have Orange!

Reactions: 1 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Ah, but do they have Kubota orange?

Actually, I think it would look pretty bad to have a near-Kubota orange on part of it.

Reactions: 1 users

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Ah, but do they have Kubota orange?

Actually, I think it would look pretty bad to have a near-Kubota orange on part of it.
Color doesn’t mean squat to me…I don’t use my tractor barefoot so a “hot step” is no concern…just a tough as nails coating.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Hmmm. I like Project Farm's work normally, but that's a grab bag of products that includes several that are NOT intended as bed liners.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Hmmm. I like Project Farm's work normally, but that's a grab bag of products that includes several that are NOT intended as bed liners.
That's true... It was interesting to see what other uses you could get out of them though!

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
Nearly all the products he tested were for the intended use. I think the only one off was FlexSeal (or whatever that rubber stuff is called). (doesn't work even for it's intended use BTW). That aside they sell the Herculiner product at our local Farm stores. I think if I can ever get that stupid mat unglued and the glue cleaned off I am gonna buy that and give it a go. BTW I like the idea of the black against the orange

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
Well, I bought Herculiner Roll On. Kinda PO'd at the company though. All over the can are warnings not to shake, contents under pressure, etc. Instructions on the can very unclear and difficult to read. Bottom line I prepped the step, poured some of the material into a tray and begin rolling it on. Thinking this stuff looks a bit "thin". I look at the material in the can and it's nice and gloppy. So then I pour the material from the tray (didn't use much) into the can and proceed to stir it up well. Then begin rolling it on nice. Seems to be going on nice and thick. Wanted to find out dry time, look on the web site as the can is useless, and find out they recommend a "thin" first coat. Then a second thicker coat. The stuff is like roofing tar! How the heck do you get a "thin" coat?! Unless my idea of thick or thin is a different reality than that company's :D Anyway, it's in the garage drying now. I don't think I will try to apply another coat. Honestly looks thick enough. We shall see. Hopefully it doesn't come peeling off when I remove the masking tape