Linex’d my “step”

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Given how durable and indestructible this has been on my pickup bed, this is the last time rust will happen, hopefully 🤣

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
I had a friend that loved his Ram pickups, he Line X'ed the outside of the bed to stop the rust as well as the inside of the bed. A few years later driven in Cleveland Salt belt Ohio the right side of his bed started to look funny. After inspection we noticed the Line X was the only thing holding it on, all the metal was rusted. Turns out Rams in the salt belt had an issue with the beds rusting though from the top of the wheel well on the back side. There was a spot water would get in and not get out.

Great idea for this application.

Reactions: 1 users

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
I had a friend that loved his Ram pickups, he Line X'ed the outside of the bed to stop the rust as well as the inside of the bed. A few years later driven in Cleveland Salt belt Ohio the right side of his bed started to look funny. After inspection we noticed the Line X was the only thing holding it on, all the metal was rusted. Turns out Rams in the salt belt had an issue with the beds rusting though from the top of the wheel well on the back side. There was a spot water would get in and not get out.

Great idea for this application.
Yes..no water being trapped in this application!

Reactions: 1 user

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
I've got a friend with a Line-X biz.
That stuff is the best.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Looks great! Did you do both sides?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Ordered a new step for my BX25d which was rusted through in a couple places. Took it right over to the Linex store and dropped it off.
1 day later…
I would be curious to know what the cost was to have this step coated with "Linex".
Amazon, Lowes, and others, sell a brush on product called "Herculiner" that provides the same protection.
I would venture a guess that "Herculiner", applied by a tractor owner himself, would be significantly less expensive.

I did the deck of my 1989 Ford 1920 about 8 years ago, and it still looks great.
I think the cost for the brush on can of "Herculiner" was $24.99 at the time.

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
I would be curious to know what the cost was to have this step coated with "Linex".
Amazon, Lowes, and others, sell a brush on product called "Herculiner" that provides the same protection.
I would venture a guess that "Herculiner", applied by a tractor owner himself, would be significantly less expensive.

I did the deck of my 1989 Ford 1920 about 8 years ago, and it still looks great.
I think the cost for the brush on can of "Herculiner" was $24.99 at the time.
I went that route first. The spray-on bedliner (spray can) didn’t last for crap.
Peeled almost instantly. Cleaned that all off then used the Rustoleum “rust reformer” spray and that has been solid. I ordered the new step with the intention of selling my BX (new owner would not like a hole in the step) but then decided to buy a new z-turn mower and keep the BX strictly for tractor work and no mowing. Now I’ll sell my MID MOUNT MOWER and add years to my BX with a new step and zero mowing hours. Just signed papers today on the new Kubota zero turn Z422KW54 and it is ready to go. Drove it around the dealer parking lot and checked it over for operation. It will be delivered next week.
The Linex on the new step was $88. Worth it IMO for a great product.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My current truck had a sprayed bed liner when new on the lot 5 years ago.

Don't know the manufacturer, etc., but it is real tough stuff....

Had many loaded pallets slid in; scarcely a knick in it.

Should work great on a floor pan!

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
My current truck had a sprayed bed liner when new on the lot 5 years ago.

Don't know the manufacturer, etc., but it is real tough stuff....

Had many loaded pallets slid in; scarcely a knick in it.

Should work great on a floor pan!
My 013 F150 was Linex’d the same week I drove it out of the dealer new. There is nothing, other than light staining from various substances spilled by me and my trips to the dump. No chips, cracks peeling…nothing. If pressure washed it would look almost new. Like you I have loaded pallets up to 1500 lbs on the bed and pushed them in and no sign of scraping that stuff at all.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I went that route first. The spray-on bedliner (spray can) didn’t last for crap.
Peeled almost instantly. Cleaned that all off then used the Rustoleum “rust reformer” spray and that has been solid. I ordered the new step with the intention of selling my BX (new owner would not like a hole in the step) but then decided to buy a new z-turn mower and keep the BX strictly for tractor work and no mowing. Now I’ll sell my MID MOUNT MOWER and add years to my BX with a new step and zero mowing hours. Just signed papers today on the new Kubota zero turn Z422KW54 and it is ready to go. Drove it around the dealer parking lot and checked it over for operation. It will be delivered next week.
Yeah that stuff is great! It really strengthens whatever it is used on. They usually have items they've sprayed it on laying around the LineX shop. The one I was really impressed with was a aluminum soda can... you couldn't hardly budge it like you could usually crush a bare one with your bare hand.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
In my post it clearly describes that I used "brush on" Herculiner.
$88 is not bad, but $24.99 is better, and you can do it at home.

Last edited:

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Yes, there's no comparison between rattle can bed liner and the brush on. Night and day.

I plan to use it on the new inner fender liners of my Chevy, when I get them.... someday....

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
$88 is not bad, but $24.99 is better, and you can do it at home.
I know what you used…and I said what I used. My “fix” was to sand and spray. Never really thought about brush on… regardless, I can afford $88.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I have to say Line-X of the step is a very good idea. I'll have to look at how my step comes off and see if I can get my step done. I got the Hawk mats for my floor.

I agree that $88 doesn't sound too bad compared to $24.99. That's especially good considering no work other than taking it off. I guess the question is what else could I or would I coat. As a retired guy, I have a lot of time, but I also have a lot of projects to do. I could do the middle hump on my L. Hmm, maybe I'll do the brush on. ;). Mine is only a year old, so I'm just down to primer on the step at the moment.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I know what you used…and I said what I used. My “fix” was to sand and spray. Never really thought about brush on… regardless, I can afford $88.
I too can afford $88, but a 120 mile round trip drive to the neatest Linux place, and then another round trip to pick up, would be a giant PITA for me.
I first primed my steel floor pan with a coat of OSPHO (phosphoric acid).
OSPHO is a very effective metal primer.

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
I too can afford $88, but a 120 mile round trip drive to the neatest Linux place, and then another round trip to pick up, would be a giant PITA for me.
I first primed my steel floor pan with a coat of OSPHO (phosphoric acid).
OSPHO is a very effective metal primer.
I hear that!
My dealer and the Linex place are 20 min from me and they are 3 minutes apart.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia

No need to travel to a Linux place. You can get all of the Linux distros for free online.

I'm just about to install Mint Linux on my new laptop. Didn't cost me a dime. Did it all from my laptop at home.

;)

• Haha

Joisey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB
May 31, 2015
Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
Makes you wonder why Kubota puts a rubber mat on a steel pan, instead of just coating the whole surface, top and bottom. No rust, good traction and quiets the noise.