Lifting 5gal cans of diesel fuel a problem

robert2601

Aug 18, 2021
Afton,Tn
I am looking for advise on fuel transfer pumps. It is becoming difficult for me to lift 5 gal cans to fill my tractor (B2601) I would like one with a discharge hose long enough to reach from ground to fill cap on hood. I use about 10-15 gal a month so I do not want to get 55 gal drums and just looking for something to help me fuel the tractor without the heavy lifting.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I have a Tera transfer pump (orange and grey ok to use for diesel). There is not much too it (I suspect if you ever drive over or something it’s a one and done) It works great…I have had for several years now and no issue. For that much fuel per month though I might think about something in between an electric wand and the 55gallon drum. Maybe take a look at some the fuel caddies (plastic or steel to fit your wallet). HMC makes a couple of very nice steel caddies and made in USA if that matters. The HMC I have is very well built with very well made parts(it’s great…great welds and great paint and parts… and I would buy again - not cheap - but worth it to me). The Tera I have works fine for what it is…is small and portable and works right out of whatever you put fuel in at gas station. On the caddie though there is an extra step…you transfer into it and out…extra step, but it is very quick.

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
I'm still lifting 5 gallon jugs ( did it yesterday ) but can see those days coming to an end as soon as I get get time for a workaround.

I know some have suggested a pump that's driven by an electric drill.

Here's one from home depot for $14. At 750 GPH it should make quick work of a fill.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Here's one I found on internet. I have no personal experience with this type.

I have a "D" cell battery operated pump but due to hose being "too short" still have to lift can but not hold in pouring position.

Attachments

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
I am looking for advise on fuel transfer pumps. It is becoming difficult for me to lift 5 gal cans to fill my tractor (B2601) I would like one with a discharge hose long enough to reach from ground to fill cap on hood. I use about 10-15 gal a month so I do not want to get 55 gal drums and just looking for something to help me fuel the tractor without the heavy lifting.
I use this to suck old gas out of motorcycles and generator.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I saw a post somewhere that I thought to be the ultimate solution. They had a small trailer with a 40 gallon transfer tank and pump mounted. They just pulled the trailer to fill the tank, park the trailer, and drive the tractor to the mobile filling station.

Reactions: 1 user

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
This Tera Pump works fine for me. I do need to lift the 5 gallon can and place it on the tractor floorboard, but that is an easy lift.

Reactions: 1 users

robert2601

Aug 18, 2021
Afton,Tn
I have a Tera transfer pump (orange and grey ok to use for diesel). There is not much too it (I suspect if you ever drive over or something it’s a one and done) It works great…I have had for several years now and no issue. For that much fuel per month though I might think about something in between an electric wand and the 55gallon drum. Maybe take a look at some the fuel caddies (plastic or steel to fit your wallet). HMC makes a couple of very nice steel caddies and made in USA if that matters. The HMC I have is very well built with very well made parts(it’s great…great welds and great paint and parts… and I would buy again - not cheap - but worth it to me). The Tera I have works fine for what it is…is small and portable and works right out of whatever you put fuel in at gas station. On the caddie though there is an extra step…you transfer into it and out…extra step, but it is very quick.
I have been looking at terap03 mainly because it has an 8' discharge hose but one reviewer claims it will not pump up {from floor} to his tank fill .

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I have been looking at terap03 mainly because it has an 8' discharge hose but one reviewer claims it will not pump up {from floor} to his tank fill .
The higher the lift, the slower it pumps, see my other post.

The automatic shutoff keeps you from crawling up on the tractor to watch the fuel level.

robert2601

Aug 18, 2021
Afton,Tn
I saw a post somewhere that I thought to be the ultimate solution. They had a small trailer with a 40 gallon transfer tank and pump mounted. They just pulled the trailer to fill the tank, park the trailer, and drive the tractor to the mobile filling station.
That might be an overkill for me but I am sure it would work fine

Edke6bnl

Equipment
B7800 Kubota, case 1840 Skidsteer Ford 3500
Mar 31, 2022
Agua Dulce, California
I use this to suck old gas out of motorcycles and generator.
I have an extra fuel lift pump from my Dodge that I might put to use, I have the big fuel transfer pump but it is to much to drag around.

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
Here's one I found on internet. I have no personal experience with this type.

I have a "D" cell battery operated pump but due to hose being "too short" still have to lift can but not hold in pouring position.
I have an ancient version of one of those that is very good, even though I had to do some repairs over the years (replace the inlet hose, repaired the outlet nozzle with JB Weld) but for the most part still works. However, I bought the new version some years back and it was junk. The safety catch for the pump trigger had a very stiff spring and it would take two hands on the handle to hold the catch and pump. On top of that, there was almost no flow (unlike the original pump) and it eventually quit. Somehow I managed to get my money back from Amazon.
The Tera pump did not work for me either. It started leaking at the collar adapter for the neck of the fuel can and eventually it leaked more than it pumped within three months, too late to return it .
These days I am getting by with this, if it does not work right off the bat, it can not be returned but they have a toll free number that tells you how to get a refund. The hose is kind of short but for the BX works well by setting the can on the floor and pumping from there. When it craps out after a few years I get another one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I've considered transfer pumps but have avoided such for a multitude of reasons.

Currently, I use a 2 Qt galvanized Plews spout can to refill my B1750 and B3350 and a NAPA 2 gallon plastic spout can originally intended to fill radiators in the day of full service gas stations to fill the M9960. Not ideal but both work and it's easy to avoid spills.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
I'm doing 2 gallons at a time, approximately every 5 hours. Just sit it beside the treadle pedal and insert the Tera pump and poke it into the fuel tank inlet. It auto shuts off if the tank will not take all the 2 gallons.

steveh

Equipment
Kubota L4701, forks, Land Pride rear blade, Wallenstein splitter
Dec 1, 2020
Rocky Mountains
I don't struggle with the full 5-gal cans anymore, standing up on the tractor trying to keep the can balanced and not running fuel across the hood. Couple years ago, neighbor moved out and gave me two new diesel 5-gal cans. Now I have five. So, I just fill them to 3 gallons instead of 5. Yes, I have to store five cans, but that is fifteen gallons. Plenty. Just don't fill the cans to the top!

Reactions: 3 users

MINICUP28

Equipment
B7610, KX-018, RTV-500, JD X758
Feb 21, 2019
COBLESKILL, NY
I'VE HAD THIS 30 GAL. GAS CADDY FOR A FEW YEARS, WORKS GREAT. MANY AVAILABLE ON AMAZON.
gas caddy.jpg
gas caddy.jpg gas caddy.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
The Tera pump is great -- just don't leave it unattended. I have had it fail to shut off when pumping diesel (always works with gasoline though). That Harbour Freight unit looks to be the same as one sold by Canadian Tire -- garbage, lasted less than a month. The Flow-n-Go is also sold by Canadian Tire and is an even bigger piece of junk -- works by gravity and starts leaking soon after being put into use.

That gas caddy looks pretty slick though.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The simple way is to get an extra can or two.
Put 3-1/2 to 4 gal. in each one.
Won't tip over, or slobber on the way home either.

Reactions: 2 users