Leveling the lawn

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Hello friends,

After some work this year around my lawn, I have some tracks of trucks and some spots/holes from loosing grip with the tractor in my lawn. Has somebody an idea how to get it leveled again to a smooth flat lawn? Is there a tool/attachment I can use or do I have to level it by hand. And maybe the gras will grow through the raise or is the best way to fill the tracks and holes with dirt and throw some seeds in the spring?
Any experience from the landscape guys?

The lawn is for playing and no super english lawn...

der carl

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Always have ruts and holes develop in lawn due to ongoing activities and life in general.

You and I may differ in what constitutes 'lawn'; should call ours a yard probably--more like improved burmuda pasture than golf course.

Grass cutting is by spouse on high-speed ZTR that doesn't like (spouse or machine) ruts holes mounds.

Assume you are in custody of loader or rear scoop / drag.

Order out a 10-wheeler of topsoil and put it somplace out of the way on the place. These can be the first ruts you fill. Avoid underground lines if soft or shallow and remember septic and laterals.

Wait till hard dry then pick up a load with spouse on machine and you on shovel and fill ruts holes. Unless you're talking 'holes' in which case you need to order more material.

Backdrag with loader till smooth. Otherwise and in any case fine tune with heavy hand-rake. We use 'asphalt' rake not standard lightweight 'bow-back' yard rake. Fertilize, seed (sprig, sod), water.

We pick up 6-ft landscape rake and go over the place once a year or after wind- or icestorms. Keeps everything mostly level and picks up an amazing amount of detritus and debris.

Regarding landscape rake: have a 3-point conversion attachment that fits quick-attach loader. Allows use of 3-point implements on front. Operator can drive backward and see precisely up-front where tines are and apply up-down pressure and angle as needed. Handy tool. Also useful with gin pole, disk, 6-way blade, anything unpowered. Careful with rake as can bend tines if not cautious. Handiest cleaning ditches with blade or rake.

We're in long hard drought. If similar and have pond and it's dry go get a bucket from it to use for rut fill. A little silt and clay won't hurt and the price is right while cleaning pond.

Ordered load of 'form sand' [used forming up concrete work; locally mined not river] to mix with pond clay for better quality yard fill material and discovered cost and effort spent mixing wasn't worth additional improvement over pond clay alone.

Sidelight: owned dump truck for a while. Discovered total expense compared to payback wasn't worthwhile. Fuel, insurance, maintenance, time spent in line at quarry, round-tripping all equals no benefit approaching only break-even not counting time. Much better to pay trucker couple times a year.

Post back and let us know how you proceed and results. Before-after photos good too.

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Thanx for your experience.
I have a question regarding the ruts of the truck. At the moment the soil is compressed where the truck left this ruts, is it a good idea to compact the new layer of soil somehow? Or is your mention of backdragging the loader good enough?

Still sounds like a lot of handwork to me.

Regarding the photos it's not easy to see it even in real, but not nice when you ride the lawn mower over the ruts and holes. My first idea was to use a plate vibrator or a very heavy roller from a farmer. Cross drive the pasture several times and its smooth again.
But lets play with dirt and fill it up...

carl

Last edited:

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
If your area receives cold temperatures and ground freezing, I would let it go through a cycle before doing anything. Freezing soil will ultimately removed compaction ruts somewhat.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Get a lawn roller fill it with water and over time it will smooth the lawn back out and get it nice and level again. The ruts in the yard from a heavy truck pushed the dirt out of a hole and mounded it up. You can either bring fresh dirt in or work it with a tiller and rake the ground. If the ruts aren't real deep I'd go with the lawn roller method.

Future tip, if you plan to run heavy trucks in the yard sometime in the future lay down some sheets of plywood to build a roadway. That helps to disperse the weight and not leave ruts behind.

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Back drag or box blade it them roll it to firm it up and its ready to seed.

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Thank you all for the inspiration.

It's never boring when you have some acre's to care about... :eek:

carl