Learn CPR today...

ddavis83864

Equipment
Kubota Grand L6060
Mar 3, 2021
I want to share a video I posted online to encourage people to learn CPR. Its particularly important if you live in a rural area. Our local EMS services are fantastic but they are still limited. I performed single person CPR for just over 14 minutes before being relieved by fireman/paramedics.

Please take some time to learn CPR and advanced first aid. There are links in the video to help locate resources for training near you. You can also contact your local hospital or fire stations for information. For example, our local hospital hosted a "Stop The Bleed" course for FREE. There are plenty of resources available that only require your time and participation.

Stay safe & Healthy

Reactions: 9 users

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
I want to share a video I posted online to encourage people to learn CPR. Its particularly important if you live in a rural area. Our local EMS services are fantastic but they are still limited. I performed single person CPR for just over 14 minutes before being relieved by fireman/paramedics.

Please take some time to learn CPR and advanced first aid. There are links in the video to help locate resources for training near you. You can also contact your local hospital or fire stations for information. For example, our local hospital hosted a "Stop The Bleed" course for FREE. There are plenty of resources available that only require your time and participation.

Stay safe & Healthy

EXCELLENT !!!!

I taught for years and always told the really nervous folks that bad CPR is better than no CPR !
14 minutes, bet that felt like a lifetime !
Been there , done that.

Reactions: 1 user

ddavis83864

Equipment
Kubota Grand L6060
Mar 3, 2021
EXCELLENT !!!!

I taught for years and always told the really nervous folks that bad CPR is better than no CPR !
14 minutes, bet that felt like a lifetime !
Been there , done that.
I was extremely grateful to see that paramedic arrive. I fell apart when he touched my hands and said he would take over.

ddavis83864

Equipment
Kubota Grand L6060
Mar 3, 2021
In every course I had ever taken (and it was a lot thankfully) they talked about the possibility of breaking ribs. The most horrific sound I had ever heard/felt was that fist compression and several ribs cracked/fractured. I paused for a blink of an eye and immediately remembered it was normal and I must continue.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
My volley FD was very progressive when dealing with bystander CPR. We always gave a card to the bystander for a free PTSD session by a local therapist. Word got out and we always had full classes for CPR / first aid training. I'd like to think it was well spent tax payer money. Instructors were all volunteer !
We offered infant CPR for babysitters for cost of material only! The parents and babysitters seemed to like the program.

ddavis83864

Equipment
Kubota Grand L6060
Mar 3, 2021
My volley FD was very progressive when dealing with bystander CPR. We always gave a card to the bystander for a free PTSD session by a local therapist. Word got out and we always had full classes for CPR / first aid training. I'd like to think it was well spent tax payer money. Instructors were all volunteer !
We offered infant CPR for babysitters for cost of material only! The parents and babysitters seemed to like the program.
The PTSD is a real thing, I had a hard time sleeping when my wife came home. I would stay awake at night to keep an eye on her. If I hear any strange noises I was up like a lighting bolt hit me. It was a tough time.

icspots

Equipment
BX2380 LA344 Loader MMM
May 10, 2023
Mid-Atlantic

Stay safe & Healthy

Holy cow, great job! 100%, scream it from the hilltops, learn CPR. When seconds count EMS is minutes away……… at best.……… assuming you don’t live in the country.

The first time you perform CPR is very eye opening, and the cartilage popping in the ribs makes a lot of people not even want to try. That and the prospect of performing mouth to mouth on a stranger. AHA and RC have both moved to a more lay person hands only CPR to try and drive up the likelihood bystander CPR is performed. Hard and fast compressions with minimal delays are KEY to patient survival.

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
My brother sent me this video last week. I think he is a neighbor of your's in Athol.

Last edited:

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
My Certificate just expired for CPR and 1st Aid. working on getting it renewed. Luckly 30 plus years and never needed to do any CPR but have used 1st Aid basics

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Giving CPR has go to be one of the hardest things I have ever done. We had retraining one time about 40 years ago, and we all got our cards, yep just something to toss in the drawer and never use,,,, WRONG answer ,,,, An old Lady was driving and passed us, and ran in to a pole, we stopped my wife opened the drivers door and this old gal fell out, She had a heart attack, other cars stopped and people just stood there, and I started CPR. A couple min in to it, and a car stopped, a nurse was heading to work and we both worked on this old gal till the meat wagon got there. She was most likely DOA, but once you start you cant stop, till help gets there. They hauled her off and I dont know if she was DOA or not. That is not something I ever want to do again

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Great work on getting involved and being prepared to help.

My first code in the field was with a 3 year old boy and nothing like doing an intraosseous needle while bouncing down the road.

I would encourage you if you continue to struggle with the PTSD to seek help. Each individual deals with the stress differently and some need just a little help to be reminded that they did a good thing. I know we would have the chaplain come in and talk to our medics when they dealt with baby/children or follow co-workers that got killed in the line of duty. Getting to talk with someone can be life changing help that is needed.

Reactions: 4 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Used CPR twice, both times successfully, thank God. (y)

In one of my fire science classes, I had a battalion chief propose this scenario:

You are off duty, so no gear, and no Narcan.
You arrive on the scene of a report of a man down.
He is obviously a derelict homeless guy.
You can smell him from 20ft away, he obviously hasn't had a bath in recent memory.
He has visible lice crawling on him.
He has drugs laying near him, and a needle still in his arm.
He has vomited thru mouth & nose.
He isn't breathing, no heartbeat.
What do you do?

Almost as one, the class said "Start CPR".

After a pause, the battalion chief said "No you wouldn't."

Thankfully, I've never had to find out.

icspots

Equipment
BX2380 LA344 Loader MMM
May 10, 2023
Mid-Atlantic
Giving CPR has go to be one of the hardest things I have ever done. We had retraining one time about 40 years ago, and we all got our cards, yep just something to toss in the drawer and never use,,,, WRONG answer ,,,, An old Lady was driving and passed us, and ran in to a pole, we stopped my wife opened the drivers door and this old gal fell out, She had a heart attack, other cars stopped and people just stood there, and I started CPR. A couple min in to it, and a car stopped, a nurse was heading to work and we both worked on this old gal till the meat wagon got there. She was most likely DOA, but once you start you cant stop, till help gets there. They hauled her off and I dont know if she was DOA or not. That is not something I ever want to do again
Yeah if you aren’t getting a workout you aren’t doing it right. Doing a modern class/refresher is a really good idea. Even just a little over 20 years ago CPR was still being taught as 5:1 compressions to respirations. That morphed by 2010 to 15:2, and now adult CPR is 30:2 at a minimum (some fine print on AHA’s part that more compressions is better, but they have no studies saying stopping for breaths is bad). I remember in the dim beginnings of my career doing CPR continuously for 45 minutes, being macho and waving off offered help becuase “I’ve got this”. Even with 5:2 it was hard work. With 30:2 and a rate of 100-110 compressions/min you can easily exhaust a compressor in two minutes. Hell, I’ve had patients where we needed to rotate every one minute because the patient was large, and that’s how long it took the compressor to become exhausted and ineffective.

Reactions: 1 users

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
Was a fireman paramedic for the city of Los Angeles for 38 years plus, did CPR on thousands of patients, rarely do they live, but if you witness somebody going down, you have the best chance, get 911 called and do compressions only till they get there, was what we were teaching, which is called sidewalk CPR. Now if it’s a family member or close friend by all means, I have no problem doing mouth-to-mouth you just might have to wipe off the vomit when it comes up.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Skeets, Please don't refer to the ambulance as a meat wagon. it is greatly offensive to all EMTs both past and present. Thanks for trying to help that poor old soul even if it wasn't successful.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I had training about 20 yrs ago and let it lapse. My friend and coworker dropped in front of me in 2007at work in an office building three blocks from the fire dept. two of us started cpr and the 6 minutes it took the squad to arrive and get up to our floor seemed like hours. We even had an AED to assist with shocks. The hospital was two blocks away and we ran over to find out he had not made it. Our company did bring in PTSD counseling for a couple sessions and we were lucky that the paramedics that responded and the ER physician attended. We were told that if he had dropped in the ER, it was his time and they would not have gotten him back.
I’m glad to hear your wife made it. Ask your FD or Hospital if they have someone you can talk to. Even with those couple sessions, I still think about Art and that day and what more we could have done. To this date, I renew my cert in CPR and advanced first aid. You never know when you need it.

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
I saved my own mom’s life by knowing CPR. Luckily, my wife knows it too…as she was calling out the procedure steps as she was calling 911. I ended up breaking three of my mom’s ribs but that is part of the deal when you are as amped up as I was.

Turns out she was having issues with her heart and didn’t think it was a big deal until she collapsed. She just happened to be at our house for dinner when it happened.

Everyone in our house has learned and updated this skill so that they are prepared for the event.

Reactions: 2 users

arml

Equipment
B5100e BX2200 JD455AWS JD425
Jan 27, 2022
Pennsylvania
Wow, food for thought. I think I'll check with our local Hospital and, see if they have a CPR program.

Reactions: 2 users