Leaky Kubota B20

phil brooks

Equipment
B20, 4ft bush hog, back hoe (not Kubota B20), landscape rake, snow plough, etc
Just become the proud owner of a B20 (upgrading my old iseki TX1300) and it has a little leak. It appears to be coming from the drive shaft seal into the gearbox. Not knowing much about these machine yet i am assuming it is transmission oil (that i believe is also the hydraulic oil on this?). Its only a small leak and i am tempted to leave it for a while whilst i get used to using the machine and i assume its a "split the tractor" job. The machine will only get low hours from now on as i am taking to my land in Slovakia where i only get to visit a few times a year. Am i taking a big risk here of the seal exploding on me a loosing all oil or will it just drip for years.

If i do have to split the tractor, is there anything else i should change at the same time such as clutch?

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just become the proud owner of a B20 (upgrading my old iseki TX1300) and it has a little leak. It appears to be coming from the drive shaft seal into the gearbox. Not knowing much about these machine yet i am assuming it is transmission oil (that i believe is also the hydraulic oil on this?). Its only a small leak and i am tempted to leave it for a while whilst i get used to using the machine and i assume its a "split the tractor" job. The machine will only get low hours from now on as i am taking to my land in Slovakia where i only get to visit a few times a year. Am i taking a big risk here of the seal exploding on me a loosing all oil or will it just drip for years.

If i do have to split the tractor, is there anything else i should change at the same time such as clutch?

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks
Yes most likely I will just drip for some time, they normally will not just cut loose, but it will get worse with time. Put a drip pan under it and keep an eye on the hydraulic levels till you can get it fixed.
If you split the tractor it is a good time for a clutch job and an evaluation of other parts and seals in the area.

phil brooks

Equipment
B20, 4ft bush hog, back hoe (not Kubota B20), landscape rake, snow plough, etc
thanks for the advice, as i am taking this to slovakia soon, i was intending to get the work done out there. The labor rate is far cheaper than in the UK and they seem to have a a decent Kubota network there. I will run it for a while a watch the oil levels