Leak at front wheel /axle L3800

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
You have four wheel drive so there is a gearbox full of oil to drive the wheel. If you wash off all the mud you'll probably get a better idea of exactly where it's leaking.

Desertdog

May 7, 2013
Las Vegas NV
I figured it was probably gear box leak. In the middle of a few projects. Was hoping for some input on how hard the fix is and possible parts needed, Just a gasket or seal?

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Seriously, the most likely cause is the mud. The mud may have gotten into the seal and damaged it. More likely is that you have the vent plugged with mud and it's pressurizing the front axle and pushing the gear lube out. On my L 3650 it was a little vent that looked like a broken grease fitting next to the fill plug. The internal check ball was rusted causing the pressurization.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Any ideas where it's coming from and what I need to do to fix it?
It's coming from the front axle.
Could be a multiple of things wrong from a multiple of places!
#1: Clean it up, so you /us can actually see whatever might be wrong.
#2: Then repost pictures of what you find and not just a muddy oily mess. ;)

Desertdog

May 7, 2013
Las Vegas NV
I'm going to try to get it cleaned up soon. Have a Yamaha pressure washer that decided it doesn't want to work, so I pulled the carb and have it soaking. It's a good unit but it has always been a slight pain to get started. I'll use the hose if the pressure washer repair becomes extended. Post some photos after clean up.

Desertdog

May 7, 2013
Las Vegas NV
Looks like I got lucky on two fronts. The pressure washer just needed the carb cleaned up, pump is ok. So I got the mud off of it and this is what I found.

Doesn't appear to be at the axle, looks like it is a leaking hydraulic hose going to the loader dripping down on the ground, short one about 14".

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Looks like I got lucky on two fronts. The pressure washer just needed the carb cleaned up, pump is ok. So I got the mud off of it and this is what I found.

Doesn't appear to be at the axle, looks like it is a leaking hydraulic hose going to the loader dripping down on the ground, short one about 14".
Yea a good bath make a huge difference in seeing things! ;)