Leaf raking tools

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I'm looking for the same answers as the OP. I have a bx-2680 with a 55" grapple, bucket, stump bucket, sod buster plow, 60" center mower. I still have loads of leaves (a couple of acres worth) left over from last fall.
We had raked them into a series of piles. Many of the piles are on a fairly steep grade.

I got some success using the grapple. One advantage of racking them in the fall and letting them sit through the winter is that they have become "lift-able" with the grapple. I can pick up a clump that is about 5 feet high, wet and packed. I pick the pile up and take them over to the compost heap. But I still have a lot of leaves to rake.

I am still looking for a solution for the remainder of the leaves.
I'm my limited experience, the type of leaves can dictate what tool is used. We borrowed a Protero vacuum to try it but it didn't do much for the tiny leaves. We have a ton of Willow Oaks and their slender leaves like to burrow under and in the grass. I had the most success with a backpack blower and rake (for the really matted areas.
Big leaves would be eaten alive by this machine. Just not the little guys.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
AgriMetal PTO leaf blower:
IMG_6585_2.jpg

One Pass:
IMG_6580_2.jpg

Easy to keep up with leaves when you can hook up and go in just a minute or two whenever there's a fresh batch of leaves on the ground.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
curious.. what's the semicircle of steel on the blower for ? I went to the website and none there look the same....

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
curious.. what's the semicircle of steel on the blower for ? I went to the website and none there look the same....
The semi circle of steel is a 180° deflector that can be raised to blow straight to the left of the tractor. If lowered it redirects the airflow to the right side of the tractor.

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
Is there any reason not to use the powered grass catcher? It's not been listed, but I've used a bagging system on my little Ryobi riding mower the last two years to collect leaves, here in New England where we see a lot of leaves, and its done great. I'm just curious, as the tractor I bought came with the GCK60-26BX, and I'm wondering if its an issue to use this for leaves?

someguy9000

Oct 7, 2022
California
Is there any reason not to use the powered grass catcher? It's not been listed, but I've used a bagging system on my little Ryobi riding mower the last two years to collect leaves, here in New England where we see a lot of leaves, and its done great. I'm just curious, as the tractor I bought came with the GCK60-26BX, and I'm wondering if its an issue to use this for leaves?
it will fill up absurdly fast. You certainly can use that. I would say, it depends on how well the impeller on that handles debris. With me, my "leaves" are sticks and acorns too. I can't mow every week.

The load will be heavy too, so gotta have that front ballast.

Last edited:

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
it will fill up absurdly fast. You certainly can use that. I would say, it depends on how well the impeller on that handles debris. With me, my "leaves" are sticks and acorns too. I can't mow every week.

The load will be heavy too, so gotta have that front ballast.
Makes sense, I mow at least once a week (would do less if I could, but it grows quite well here) and during leaf season, I pre walk the property and pick up any sticks or other debris that wouldn't be easy to collect. I will report back this fall as to weather or not this was an issue.

Dennis.D

Equipment
L6060, Erskine hydraulic snow blower, back hoe
Feb 16, 2018
Central, ME,USA
I went to a cyclone rake for my zero turn. I does work really well, but they are expensive new.

IMG_1714.jpeg

IMG_1715.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I guess one real advantage to our rough winters, I've yet to worry about raking up leaves, winter breaks them right down to nothing!

Reactions: 1 user