Lawnmower options

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I have a small 50x100’ lawn that I mow with a push mower, but also acres of native grass that I mow several times a year. I mow most of the area with my tractor and 6’ rotary cutter, and use a small riding mower to mow tighter areas close to the house, around buildings and the orchard. My riding mower is on its last legs and I will probably replace it soon. I have been eyeing the zero turn mowers, but have never used one. How well do they work on areas outside of lawns, cutting native grass and navigating bumpy ground. My land isn’t that rough and I can cut it fine with my current rider, but it’s not lawn and is rough in places. Would a zero turn be a good option or should I replace it with another riding mower? I wouldn’t want any wider than a 52” deck, because that would defeat my purpose for the mower.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
I use my Scag Tiger Cat 2 in the field a couple times a year. Works great yep you bounce in the seat some but it's got a lot of travel and doesn't bottom out. Does drink gas however mowing 8" grass. Mower is not cheap but they last forever....

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
I use my ZD323 in fields and mow 5 acres a week. It does fine but is a rough and dusty ride.

I don't know how well a small deck zero turn would do. They seem to be built light for city lot type mowing. My wife's uncle used a 48" Cub Cadet for four years mowing his pasture/yard and wore out the deck raise and lower components. The Cub had no grease zerks on anything.

I am sure there are commercial based small zero turns that would be built better but the cost is high.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Took a look and ,yikes, sticker shock ,here in Canada, eh.....
basic MTD 17hp, 42" decked rider is $2500 !! Plus 13% of course.....
entry level Zeroturn is $4500 !
Meanwhile , nobody wants to buy my D-14 with loader, field ready for 2500......
sigh

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
IMHO, a ZT would probably be better than a rider for what you are doing. They shine in obsticle rich environments. I can do my lawn 30 minutes faster on the ZT than the rider. My drain field is pretty rough. Actually, my whole yard is pretty bumpy. With front caster suspension and seat suspension it does pretty well. I'm not full speed cruising though. I mow the drain field every other mow for the lawn. It was 10" tall yesterday. Took passes at 50% of the deck width with the height set at 5". Then took the deck down 1/2" , put the mulch plug in and went over again to mulch up the clippings and clumps.
Anyway, for a residential ZT it does a lot better than my rider. It's a Cub homeowner model. Couldn't see spending another $3000 for a bottom rung commercial. When the blade spindles go, I'll put greasable ones in. My rider took 9 years to go through one so it may be a wait 😄

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I think they make zero turns for rougher terrain. I have no idea how much they are compared to regular ones. I've also heard they are dangerous on hills, but it doesn't sound like you have a hill to traverse. I have a Poulan Pro riding mower for my yard.

Looking at prices, even riding mowers are a lot more than they were a few years ago when I bought mine. The differential between riding and zero turns seems to be becoming less.

I don't know what's wrong with yours, but it might be worth replacing a few parts if you do that type of work. I'd say take to a shop, but you have to find one that will accept work this time of year in a timely manner.

Finally, you might try the used market. A lot of people seem to upgrade for zero turns.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Thanks to everyone. Yes my rider is repairable, again. But truthfully I’m tired of working on it to keep it running. I’m going to replace it with a a new rider or ZT. I was leaning towards the ZT, but was unsure how they would work on bumpy ground with native grass. From what I’m hearing, it would probably work fine if I keep it slow over rough areas. Thanks for your responses.

Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
some of the ZT's have suspension and it makes a difference in rougher terrain

mine (zg127s) does not and if I mow next door, twice a season, it beats you up pretty good-and it's hard on the mower. I just go slow. That is one of the downsides to a zt. They can go fast and sometimes the ground aint smooth. So you can throw yourself off of it if you ain't careful.

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
Suspension seat is the key for whatever you end up buying. Pay attention to the seat when shopping for a mower. Also lower air pressure on the rear tires of a zero turn makes a huge difference in ride comfort.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Once you go to a zero turn, you'll never want to go back to a regular riding lawn mower. 👍👍👍👍 I'll second the suspension seat.

Reactions: 2 users

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I looked at a Cub Cadet ZT1 yesterday and it seems like a pretty solid machine. Thoughts on this? Also the same 54” deck Cub Cadet machine is sold at TSC with a 24hp Kohler engine, and by Home Depot with a Kawasaki engine. Same price both places. Any recommendations as to the best option?

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
I looked at a Cub Cadet ZT1 yesterday and it seems like a pretty solid machine. Thoughts on this? Also the same 54” deck Cub Cadet machine is sold at TSC with a 24hp Kohler engine, and by Home Depot with a Kawasaki engine. Same price both places. Any recommendations as to the best option?
FYI,
At Cub Cadet dealers the Kawasaki is a few hundred dollars more than the Kohler and is considered the top of the line engine.

Reactions: 1 users

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
FYI,
At Cub Cadet dealers the Kawasaki is a few hundred dollars more than the Kohler and is considered the top of the line engine.
When I bought my Ariens ZT in 2020 the mower was the same price with either the Kawasaki or the Kohler engine. I decided on the Kohler as that was what they had in stock at the time. I have had equally good experiences with both engines over the years.

I use my zero turn on an open 5-acre field as well as on trails in the woods where there are rough areas. I just slow up in these rough areas as the suspension is very limited on these machines unless you re-mortgage your house and purchase one with proper spring suspension like a Ferris. I installed a suspension unit for under the seat that helps a bit.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
FYI,
Interesting. The same model is $3800 at TSC and HD, with the Kawasaki Motor sold by HD.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Interesting. The same model is $3800 at TSC and HD, with the Kawasaki Motor sold by HD.
I recently bought a ZT1-54P. My Kubota dealer also sells Cubs and matched the HD price.
From what I understand, there are two 54" models- ZT1-54 and ZT1-54P according to their website.
The 54 comes with a Kohler engine and 20x10 rear tires.
The 54P comes with the Kawi motor, 20x12 rear tires, rear fenders, and front suspension.
Neither come with an hour meter (dumb) but it's a $39 add and is an easy DIY. Also added the air filter upgrade from Power Equipment Man. Took some customization but did it in an hour and a half.

Reactions: 1 users

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I recently bought a ZT1-54P. My Kubota dealer also sells Cubs and matched the HD price.
From what I understand, there are two 54" models- ZT1-54 and ZT1-54P according to their website.
The 54 comes with a Kohler engine and 20x10 rear tires.
The 54P comes with the Kawi motor, 20x12 rear tires, rear fenders, and front suspension.
Neither come with an hour meter (dumb) but it's a $39 add and is an easy DIY. Also added the air filter upgrade from Power Equipment Man. Took some customization but did it in an hour and a half.
Thanks for the information. Are you happy with your Cub Cadet?

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
My wife's Uncle purchased a Cub Cadet from a dealer, not a big box store. He asked me prior to the purchase if the Kawasaki was worth $300 more. My reply is Kawasaki is well know and used in commercial applications and I would pay extra to get one. I have nothing against Kohler.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Thanks for the information. Are you happy with your Cub Cadet?
Yessir! It's my 2nd Cub. The old rider finally got to be a repair nightmare after 20 years. After a lot of looking, I decided it was a good value for the dollar. And you can't beat 0%. I was going to pay cash but since they were offering free money.....

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I will use my Scag to cut (maintain) some areas of pasture back behind the house (about 10 acres). I can mow it faster with my Zero Turn than with a finish mower and tractor. But...this is grass that I 'maintain' and not wait until its 12"-16" high to cut. Other areas of the property I bush-hog or use the finish mower.

I also use my ZT along both sides of fence rows to keep them clear and easy to access. Naturally, I use my ZT to cut my lawn (about 3.5 acres front and 2 acres back), it does a great job and mows SO much faster than anything else I could use.

I've been using ZT's for about 25 years and wouldn't have anything else for my purposes. The 'learning curve' to use one is not steep. Indeed... you'll actually have fun at first learning to use it.

But I would advise one thing. Get the best one you can afford. If you do, it should last a long time and serve you well.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Buy a used commercial mower. they are designed to last forever with replaceable parts rather than disposing of them like a box store mower.

My Exmark Laser Z 60" cuts just fine in rougher terrain. It sucks up leaves in the fall too. I bought for $3200 if i remember and it had 1200 hours on it. You will mow 3 times quicker on a zero turn over the tractor. at least i did