lawn question

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Ok I'll get right to it.

I have a yard FULL of stickerweed! I mean like 75% of the 1.5ac that I mow around the house is nothing but stickerweed.

That said, I want/need to get rid of it and I know that it needs to be done in the fall (arkansas), probably what? November?? The mowing season (for me) is done by about mid November, then I put the mower up until January, at which time it gets it's annual full servicing.

The yard is so FULL of it that it's honestly taken over, no grass in a lot of places just stickerweed, and a blade of grass here & there amongst it. Normally I wouldn't worry with it and frankly I haven't for the 6 years I been here but I'm tired of looking at it.

Those of you who have experience with it, what do I do? I ain't looking for a show-quality "cityboy" yard by any means, just hate the darn stickerweed.

Reactions: 1 user

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
2-4 D will kill it and any other broad leaf weeds/plants this year. It won't hurt your grass either. Then in the spring apply an emergence herbicide to take care of any seeds that survived the winter.

The biggest thing to prevent the weeds coming back would be to get a good lawn going and not to cut the grass too low.

You can get it in granules or concentrate. I prefer the concentrate and find it usually works well for pesticides and reducing overspray/spread because you can put a dye in it to color where you have already been. But if you don't have the patience for a hand pump and do not have anything to pull a pull behind or just don't want to buy a pull behind sprayer then granules should do.

Reactions: 1 user

PapaJ

Equipment
BX2680 - PFL1242 - RCK54 MMM - Fimco 3PH Sprayer - Trailer Mover
Apr 28, 2020
VA
Ok I'll get right to it.

I have a yard FULL of stickerweed! I mean like 75% of the 1.5ac that I mow around the house is nothing but stickerweed.

That said, I want/need to get rid of it and I know that it needs to be done in the fall (arkansas), probably what? November?? The mowing season (for me) is done by about mid November, then I put the mower up until January, at which time it gets it's annual full servicing.

The yard is so FULL of it that it's honestly taken over, no grass in a lot of places just stickerweed, and a blade of grass here & there amongst it. Normally I wouldn't worry with it and frankly I haven't for the 6 years I been here but I'm tired of looking at it.

Those of you who have experience with it, what do I do? I ain't looking for a show-quality "cityboy" yard by any means, just hate the darn stickerweed.
My place is 1.5 acres total, including the house, detached garaged, 3 other outbuildings, and the house. I can 2-4-D my place with a tractor supply sprayer with 20 gallons water, 2.5 ounces 2-4-D per gallon. Could probably have done 2 ounces. Had buttercups for days, 1 application, everything but grass is gone. If you do go this route, wear long sleeve shirt, pants, and do not do it on a windy day. I got it in a cut on my hand, I don't recommend it.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Ok I'll get right to it.

Weed and feed and lime stone. That sticker weed likes compact acidic soil and germinates through winter. I battled two acres of it.

That weed and feed is darn high though to get what you need for 1.5 acres. I only did it once on my yard (2 acres).

I use pellatized lime on the yard so it doesn't wash off with one of our gully washers.

I also don't rake the yard. I blow the leaves off the fence in the fall and chop them up for mulch instead to build the soil up from the compacted clay we started with.

Neighbor sprays his yard with 2-4D with good results. And I second not mowing the grass too short.

With our temperatures and the rain slowing I let the grass creep up to 4" by mid july through September when our rains come back.

I usually mow it at 3" during the spring since it's so wet. Last couple times have been at 3.5"

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
Ok I'll get right to it.

Lime is your friend here in East Tx when it comes to stickers. Get a soil test done.

MFFI422

Equipment
BX2380 -Drive Over Mower Deck- LP Tiller - FEL - LP Box Blade - LP QH - Canopy
Jun 10, 2020
Arkansas
Ok I'll get right to it.

Also in Arkansas.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
makes sense. I had the shop built and then the poco came out and ran underground service, of course dug up a couple hundred foot of the yard for the trench. Took about a full year for anything to grow back. The dirt is bright red. Used to be a creek somewhere based on the many perfectly rounded rocks that they dug up in the trench, look identical to the same stuff you find up in the ozark streambeds.