Laser cut L2501 floor mats

Designdude

Equipment
Kubota L2501, FEL, Backhoe, pallet forks
May 22, 2020
Orrville, Ohio
Hello all. My Kubota and I are relatively new to the forum, and I have enjoyed reading posts, etc. This Summer I was tired of watching the orange platform on my L2501 get scratched from my boots when climbing on and off. So I designed and cut real rubber floor mats with my 60-watt Laser. They fit perfectly and can be lifted for cleaning and to wipe water/moisture easily. I didn’t want a rubber painted platform like some others I’ve seen. The left and right pads are independently replaceable. The orange and black scheme looks natural and provide the non-slip grip. Not sure if anybody has tried this approach yet.

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: 18 users

JasonY

Equipment
Kubota L2501HST, FEL, EAXtreme 60" shredder, EA 60" box blade, EA Pallet forks
Sep 27, 2020
Dallas
Any chance of you sharing those files? I have a 60 watt ULS. Barring that, how about selling the floor mats themselves? I imagine you'd have quite a few buyers here.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
The mats are beautiful. Did you make one for the step, too? Have you considered going into production?

Reactions: 1 user

Designdude

Equipment
May 22, 2020
Orrville, Ohio
Really nice job.

Could you please provide some details on your laser.

Dave
The machine is a 60-watt Epilog Helix CO2 Laser (made in USA) , and will cut everything but metal. The floormats themselves were laser cut from a ‘ribbed’ rubber sheet purchased from McMasterCarr. It took approx. 8 cardboard template trials to tweak the exact shape and fit. They interlock securely with the stamped round tread pattern of the metal platform.

Designdude

Equipment
May 22, 2020
Orrville, Ohio
The mats are beautiful. Did you make one for the step, too? Have you considered going into production?
Haven’t made one for the step, as it is fairly small in comparison. Not sure a rubber pad would be feasible there, although the paint does get scuffed.. I have considered producing more of these large ones at some point. Rubber is a bit challenging because of re-melting during laser process. Been focusing recent design efforts on CNC aluminum brackets for lighting and roll bars.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
If you decide to make these to sell, I sure would like a set for my L3901DT. Or if you decide to share your files for them I can try to find someone in my area that would cut them. Thanks for sharing, they look like factory.

Last edited:

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Now set up a website and take orders so I can order a set. :) Really though, I see a business opportunity here. Id be one of the first orders :)

Great work, it looks really professional, as if it was designed that way from Kubota

JasonY

Equipment
Sep 27, 2020
Dallas
Question: what's the bolt for on the HST pedal side? To hold down the mat?

JasonY

Equipment
Sep 27, 2020
Dallas
Thanks! They look excellent! Did you have to go through several trials to figure out which rubber mat to use from McMaster or do you have a specific one?

Designdude

Equipment
May 22, 2020
Orrville, Ohio
Thanks! They look excellent! Did you have to go through several trials to figure out which rubber mat to use from McMaster or do you have a specific one?
Hi - I chose the ribbed pattern for grip. Also wanted a rubber rated for outdoor use and NE Ohio temperature changes. If I remember correctly, this style fit the criteria. Not too thick.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
In reality, they don't look factory. Factory floor mats are much thicker (molded to the shape of the platform) and quite expensive as well plus, the factory mats use plastic push pins to secure them in place.

They are nice, but, in my opinion, a bit thin.

Designdude

Equipment
May 22, 2020
Orrville, Ohio
Looks great! What did you use to measure the profiles?
Thanks. I used measurements and old school protractors and curves. Then translated into my CAD program at full scale. It took several cardboard templates to fine tune. The hole pattern was challenging to match. They work very well and stay in place.

Designdude

Equipment
May 22, 2020
Orrville, Ohio
In reality, they don't look factory. Factory floor mats are much thicker (molded to the shape of the platform) and quite expensive as well plus, the factory mats use plastic push pins to secure them in place.

They are nice, but, in my opinion, a bit thin.
Actually the thickness isn’t a problem at about .188” thick. I’m not aware of molded ‘factory’ mats being available for the L’s stamped platform, so my solution was to precisely fit a flat shape. The rubber doesn’t curl or slide and no clips are required. Just a humble attempt and a simple method to share.

Reactions: 5 users

Designdude

Equipment
May 22, 2020
Orrville, Ohio
Now set up a website and take orders so I can order a set. :) Really though, I see a business opportunity here. Id be one of the first orders :)

Great work, it looks really professional, as if it was designed that way from Kubota
Thanks Tornado. I’m considering your suggestion for orders. It appears this method fits a need beyond my own simple attempt.. Several members have expressed interest. Stay tuned’ bruther. I’ll research this to another level. Very much appreciate the feedback.

Reactions: 3 users