Laser Bore Sight

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
Once again things got complicated. Since the price is down on lasers now days I figured I would finally pick up a bore sight and start out by using it on the new .22 pellet gun I am getting but would like to later use it on a variety (up to .338) of calibers.
Cant believe how many different brands there are and cant believe all the different claims and comments there are for each brand.
Anybody have a recommendation for one that they have actually used?

Bark

Equipment
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
I ordered a Site Light SL-500. Has a strong magnet to hold it steady. .22 to .50 cal. The green light is a big plus. Have used it with great success.
Dang. I had sort of narrowed it down to that one or the Wheeler green light model. Both use the magnetic mount and both are more than I wanted to pay but both seem to be highly recommended.
Couldn't you have told me it was a piece of junk?:)

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I bought a pack of splatter targets and accurately zeroed my scopes in short order. Kind of fun having never done it before. Old school (cheap) if you know what I mean.

Reactions: 1 user

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I've found laser bore sights for setting up a scope to be 'hit or miss' (pun intended).
No matter how centered, the projectile does not always follow the same path as a bore sight decides. They are good for getting into the ball park but you still have to shoot to get the final inch(es).
Lasers also do not experience any drop over distance and you must calculate that into windage. The longer the distance you set up the scope, the more accurate.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Anybody have a recommendation for one that they have actually used?
I have tried several over the years. They all work pretty good but I'm with @JimmyJazz on this.

1st shot... target at 20 yards, shoot, adjust
2nd shot... 30-40 yards shoot adjust should be fine from there.

A lead sled makes things even more simple. Aim bulls eye, shoot, start back at the bulls eye and adjust reticle to the hole... done.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I have tried several over the years. They all work pretty good but I'm with @JimmyJazz on this.

1st shot... target at 20 yards, shoot, adjust
2nd shot... 30-40 yards shoot adjust should be fine from there.

A lead sled makes things even more simple. Aim bulls eye, shoot, start back at the bulls eye and adjust reticle to the hole... done.
Ditto... 22 cal with splatter targets at 20-30 yards would be easy to see. Try some of the Predator GTO pellets I mentioned above. They shoot great out of mine.

Get yourself a couple of these...they are a real blast to shoot.

tree rat target.JPG

Last edited:
  • Love

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
I was following the other recent thread on pellet guns as I was getting one on order (went with a Gamo Swarm Fusion in a .22) and thought I was gonna need to get my old SL-100 Laser out and as it turned out, I never did—it was already on paper when I mounted the included cheapo scope and it really didn’t take much effort to get this at 30 yards:

9CEFC9F0-3B19-46F8-BE30-671120F96C87.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
This has always given me good service:

Attachments

itsaz

Equipment
BX2670, FEL, Box Blade, Wood Chipper, Rotary Cutter
Oct 14, 2016
Wichita Falls, TX
This has always given me good service:
I've had one of those for at least 15 years and it still uses the original battery.
No sense in spending a fortune. It's only intended to get you on paper.

Bark

Equipment
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
Thanks for all the replies. Glad I decided to wait for a few days before I bought one. Got to thinking, I wont need to use it on most of my rifles since they are already fitted and sighted in with the scopes I want on them. So, unless I really whack a sight or scope, I shouldn't need to bore sight very many more guns.
In my mid 60's so some guns (like the 338) I may never use again.
As has been mentioned, the main goal is to get on paper and since I am buying a pellet gun, the ammo is cheap(ish).
With that said, I hate getting a good deal on something and winding up with junk.
That Cabela's one is starting to look better for my actual needs but I sure would like that Site Light:unsure:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I've been sighting in rifles for years and have never used a laser bore sight tool and certainly wouldn't want to stick anything in the muzzle end of the barrel if it's a precision rifle. I remove the bolt on a bolt action and look down the bore, adjust the scope and go right to 100 yards and am typically 6" or less away from the point of aim. For AR type rifles I remove the upper from the lower, remove the charging handle and bolt and look down the bore as I would with a bolt action. For firearms that don't allow sighting down the barrel I start at 25 yards.

Here are the first 10 shots from a new 6mm ARC I put together recently. Aiming at the center diamond I was 3-1/2" low at 100 yards. First shot from a brand new Proof barrel. I made no scope or aiming point adjustments for shots 2, 3 and 4. I then dialed up 0.5 milrad and shot 5 through 10 at the top right diamond with the last five shots landing inside 0.3".

hdy_blk_105gr_05.jpg

• Wow

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
That Cabela's one is starting to look better for my actual needs but I sure would like that Site Light:unsure:
Not sure how much they are now, but I got that one in a Black Friday sale, 7-8 yrs ago, I think I paid $16.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I've found laser bore sights for setting up a scope to be 'hit or miss' (pun intended).
No matter how centered, the projectile does not always follow the same path as a bore sight decides. They are good for getting into the ball park but you still have to shoot to get the final inch(es).
Lasers also do not experience any drop over distance and you must calculate that into windage. The longer the distance you set up the scope, the more accurate.

Same experiences here. I no longer use them.