Larger than required stump jumper pan

Norman

Equipment
LX2610HSD;LA535;LP 60" grapple; WC68 chipper; GB60 SW cutter
Sep 30, 2021
Georgia, USA
I recently bought an old 5' Sidewinder rotary cutter that has no stump jumper pan. The blade carrier itself is fine and is about 21" long x 4" wide x 1" thick. Due to age I can't find a replacement pan that fits much tighter than one that is a total of 30" in diameter. This is clearly about 4"-5" longer on each side of the blade carrier length. I don't think this will be an issue provided I can center the two pieces together then weld the pan to the carrier. The blades themselves have a drop to them so it isn't like the whole blade will be scraping along the pan.

Just wanted to ask if there is something I'm not thinking of that would be a big issue?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
With a little caution a stump jumper isn't needed. If you're mowing something that makes you think it might be better to use a saw, you need the jumper. I don't thing many 5' brush mowers had stump jumpers when new.

Norman

Equipment
Sep 30, 2021
Georgia, USA
With a little caution a stump jumper isn't needed. If you're mowing something that makes you think it might be better to use a saw, you need the jumper. I don't thing many 5' brush mowers had stump jumpers when new.
Thanks for the reply. In my case it is to maintain trails in the woods and cut down any deep brush in the same woods. I don’t foresee any field mowing in my near future. Good news is that the woods were recently mulched by a professional company so most of the larger stumps are gone. I just hate the thought of hitting a stump or rock and wrecking the gear box.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Thanks for the reply. In my case it is to maintain trails in the woods and cut down any deep brush in the same woods. I don’t foresee any field mowing in my near future. Good news is that the woods were recently mulched by a professional company so most of the larger stumps are gone. I just hate the thought of hitting a stump or rock and wrecking the gear box.
What you're describing is the prefect place for a flail mower. All the flails sling independently and the gearbox is powered by belts to the flails so it is near impossible to damage the mower by mowing!

Since the area has been mulched I'd think if you do some reasonable amount of maintenance mowing, and not allow much growth, you won't need to protect your gearbox.

Reactions: 1 user

Norman

Equipment
Sep 30, 2021
Georgia, USA
What you're describing is the prefect place for a flail mower. All the flails sling independently and the gearbox is powered by belts to the flails so it is near impossible to damage the mower by mowing!

Since the area has been mulched I'd think if you do some reasonable amount of maintenance mowing, and not allow much growth, you won't need to protect your gearbox.
I contemplated a flail but the cost was out of range for the one or possibly two times a year I’d use it.