Landpride fixed Bar Box Scraper (BB1260)

Dave H

Equipment
L2501
Apr 23, 2021
New Hampshire
Was using my box scraper yesterday to level ground that had just been cleared. Noticed my BB was not sitting flat to ground. Checked my Speeco quick hitch attach which was adjusted correctly. That's when I discovered this had happened??? No "freakin" idea what I did or may have hit while working the BB. Bottom line is I have to get it fixed. Ordered new left and right hand hitch straps that will be here on Tuesday. Around $28 dollars a piece plus $11 shipping. This had to have occurred while pushing dirt vs pulling?? Wondering if anyone has had this happen? Also, once I get the new straps on Tuesday...would it be worth my while to weld on some reinforcment pieces to each strap to make them a littler more "beefier"???

View attachment 11299

View attachment 11300

View attachment 11301

View attachment 11302

View attachment 11303

1619193890884.png

I realize this post is years too late, but it is relavent to people who may have a BB12 box blade or thinking of purchasing one. Note that the Operators Manual indicates (in the enclosed picture) that there are suppose to be 2 bolts at the bottom of each side of the A-Frame (to prevent rotation). Incidently, I have a 2020 L2501 with a BB1260 that came from the dealer that was set up with only one bolt on each side the A frame bottom (going to change that prior to the next use)......

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

FrozenOrange

Equipment
L3901HST, B7100
May 8, 2017
North Pole Alaska
I just got off the phone with my dealer. They said LP shipped my upper straps yesterday and they'll be here next week. I was tearing up hard pack ice/snow with the rippers and the whole series of upper straps bent just like the OP's. I looked at this post and chuckled. Been there .. just done that.

If I'm reading this right I can weld some more supports between the straps? I may try that. More pics of that fix would be appreciated.

This was much cheaper than a new top link or lift arms. Week link like a fuse is a good analogy. Maybe I don't wanna make it too rigid.

foobert

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 25, 2021
Washington
This was much cheaper than a new top link or lift arms. Week link like a fuse is a good analogy. Maybe I don't wanna make it too rigid.
I disagree with this line of thinking that keeps getting repeated in this thread. Frankly, that box-blade is a light-duty implement that's arguably poorly designed expecting an unsupported strap to withstand the compressive loads created by the torque of the ripper teeth pivoting around the lower 3-point links.

Perhaps Landpride specified a maximum tractor weight/horsepower for this implement and folks aren't honoring that limit? Edit: Yup, BB12** series is rated for MAX of 30 HP. At least in OP's case, this explains the damage.

However, to think that your tractor's 3-point links aren't capable of completely stopping the tractor during slow-moving, full-stall working loads is silly. You don't need a "fuse" to protect your tractor -- it's designed to handle the forces that it's capable of delivering during reasonable operating speeds and conditions. The same cannot be said for wimpy implements that get attached to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Wow!

my bb1254 is listed by LP as light duty. I’ve had it stop my BX dead in its tracks, I don’t think I have the power to cause that type of damage to it. Maybe you do need a commercial model?

FrozenOrange

Equipment
L3901HST, B7100
May 8, 2017
North Pole Alaska
I just got off the phone with my dealer. They said LP shipped my upper straps yesterday and they'll be here next week. I was tearing up hard pack ice/snow with the rippers and the whole series of upper straps bent just like the OP's. I looked at this post and chuckled. Been there .. just done that.

If I'm reading this right I can weld some more supports between the straps? I may try that. More pics of that fix would be appreciated. Pop

I just went out and looked.mine is a BB1560. Older and had alot of pounding. I double checked my LP order and I ordered the 1560 straps.
Once the parts get here I'll get more steel and beef that thing up a bit. I think Foobert is on the right track. Mine is rated for 17-40 so it should handle an L3901.
Thanks for the inputs.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I disagree with this line of thinking that keeps getting repeated in this thread. Frankly, that box-blade is a light-duty implement that's arguably poorly designed expecting an unsupported strap to withstand the compressive loads created by the torque of the ripper teeth pivoting around the lower 3-point links.
Totally agree, the BB12 series is just too light. When i turn mine into a potato chip I will get next series up or the EA one. It so light I often have to add 320 pounds of weight to it in order to get good rips.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Your L3800 is too strong for the BB12 Series scrapers. It may be the moldboard bending next? The BB15 series would be a better match.

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
While there’s no question the BB1260 is a light-duty Box Blade, it’s pretty clear from the OP’s pics that whoever sold him his BB didn’t use the 4 bolts called for in the assembly, as Dave H has pointed out. I have absolutely beaten the daylights out of mine over the past three years and don’t have this issue—but mine had 4 bolts instead of just two the OP’s had (where it really counts):
8FC124B9-9C93-43D0-8B81-4A0AA8C4B1E7.jpeg

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
I have no problem with the BB1260 ripping....even in a sodded field with tall grass and heavy soil. Adjusting the top link will create or reduce how much rip you create. I have no extra weight on the box...just sayin.

TractorTime

Equipment
B2601
Jul 7, 2022
United States
I'm thinking about buying a BB1260 for my B2601. I have multiple spots on my property that need grading here in Western Washington and there's quite a few medium to large size rocks here, as I'm on a glacial shelf. If not the BB1260, do you have any other model you might recommend?

Bpathfinder

Equipment
L3901DT
Apr 18, 2021
Louisiana
I had heard about some people having the same issues. I decided to spend a little extra money for the Woods. I have seen some that the square tubing is twisted because the holes going through it weakens it. I just finished helping a friend wrap his with 1/2 inch 4x4 angle to repair it. Maybe put c-channel on it to fix it.

Attachments

Last edited:

TractorTime

Equipment
B2601
Jul 7, 2022
United States
I'm also looking at the Woods BSS54 model for my B2601 and it does seem to be substantially better built than the Land Pride, especially the upper support area, there's just a heck of a lot more steel there. It also weighs quite a bit more.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Its hard to tell from the OP's picture but his BB doesnt appear to have the 4 holes for the bolts. Looks like only one hole on each side? I will have to check mine tomorrow.