Land Pride mower FDR1660

pedzola

Jun 2, 2016
Southern NH
I purchased a land pride finish mower (fdr1660) with my new L2501 in June and only recently used it for the first time.

I used the mower to chop down some very large weeds, not the intended purpose i know but it worked great. Underside needed significant cleaning after but I assume with normal grass it wouldnt clump so badly.

Anyway, walking out the garage for work this morning i saw that where im supposed to have a drain plug on the mower gearbox it instead appears to be a hole threaded on the outside (protrudes from the side a little). I didnt have time to look too closely but i can only assume i am missing a piece.

Of course i didnt read the manual til after i used the machine. I am planning to check the oil when i get home.

Any problem if i ran it for 20 minutes with no gearbox oil? Or maybe the oil and plug were in there and the plug shook loose and fell off. I dont know.

Everything else looked greased and well put together.

Last question - there is no scalp roller on the front. Does that typically come with the mower or would that have been an add-on?

Purchased new from a dealer. Package price with my tractor was very high in my opinion but preffered financing it. So i would just like to make sure the unit is complete and was set up correctly.

Ill verify the missing drain plug and oil situation before calling the dealer.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
There is a difference between a finish mower and a grooming mower, that is often overlooked.

A finish mower is attached to the 3 pt. hitch and has some method of trail wheels attached to the mower deck. It also has an anti-scalp roller on the front to keep the mower from digging into the sod when the back of the tractor is in a low spot.

A groomer mower is attached to the 3 pt. hitch, however, it has wheels in all four corners of the deck. The tractor simply pulls and powers the mower, it does not support it, other then when you need to pick the entire unit up.

A groomer mower does a better job of giving an even cut. That's the term "groom".

Your mower is a grooming mower and doesn't need/does not come with anti-scalp rollers.

As for the lack of oil....you already know the answer. Not good. Maybe there was some oil in there?

Last edited:

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
I would talk to your dealer. The dealer should make sure the unit is prepped properly! I would not mention the rotary cutter duty that you put it through.

Pat

spacemanspiff

Equipment
M5-111
Dec 4, 2015
Lower ,AL
The dealer should have checked the plug for tightness. I would complain about it. They should make it right.

As for the heavy grass, if you didn't bend it, you didn't hurt it.

Mine is nearly 20 years old. I ran it for a few hours dry. It's been filled with grease for a year and I will run it till it quits.

pedzola

Jun 2, 2016
Southern NH
So I inspected the gearbox closely this evening after work.

Took the dipstick out, checked the oil level, looks good.

I am not sure what to think of my "missing plug." I think what I was looking at might actually BE a plug.

It is threaded on the outside, fits a large allen wrench inside, and then a very small allen wrench inside that.

Looks like it might be some kind of pressure release inside of a very odd plug?

I tried to find pictures of other similar land pride mowers online but very hard to see this "drain plug" area on pictures online. I saw a couple that look like it might be the same as what I have.

In any case, the gearbox has enough oil, and none seems to be leaking out of this spot.

Sorry it's hard to explain. I took pictures but not sure of a good way to get them posted from my phone.

What is sticking out of my gearbox looks something like this:

Except there is an additional small hex space inside of it, with a "pin" inside that.

Any clues? Should this be covered or is this my "drain plug?"

It doesn't seem to be leaking any oil.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
According to Land Pride, the FDR 1660 is definitely a finish mower although other mower manufactures call pto mowers with the 4 wheel configuration a grooming mower. When you bought the mower it should have come with a tube attached to the deck with the owners manual included. Did you get that? Perhaps the answer to your question will be found there.