Land Pride box blade defective shank failure

SarasotaMan

Equipment
BX23s
Jul 31, 2023
Sarasota, Florida USA
I am guessing this is a rare problem. I have a Land Pride box blade (BB1248) for my sub-compact Kubota. I have only used the blade 6-7 times in soft Florida soil. During the last use one shank snagged on a thin tree root (<1inch diameter) and the shank snapped. When I examined the shank if was clearly defective as a crack in the metal was visible at the top of the third notch from the top approximately 1/3 of the shank width. I could tell there was a crack in the metal because there was black paint in the crack from the original factor paint application. That was the failure point, see pictures. I tried to contact Land Pride to get a defective part replacement but get no response from lpservicedept@landpride.com The lack of a response from Land Pride is quite annoying., not impressed.

Attachments

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
Bought my BB1260 two weeks ago brand new and just noticed this weekend that one of mine broke off in use without me knowing. It's just been used on dirt.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I am guessing this is a rare problem. I have a Land Pride box blade (BB1248) for my sub-compact Kubota. I have only used the blade 6-7 times in soft Florida soil. During the last use one shank snagged on a thin tree root (<1inch diameter) and the shank snapped. When I examined the shank if was clearly defective as a crack in the metal was visible at the top of the third notch from the top approximately 1/3 of the shank width. I could tell there was a crack in the metal because there was black paint in the crack from the original factor paint application. That was the failure point, see pictures. I tried to contact Land Pride to get a defective part replacement but get no response from lpservicedept@landpride.com The lack of a response from Land Pride is quite annoying., not impressed.
Hum....mmm.
Sorry about your issue, but good to know about Land Pride customer service (or, lack thereof.)
I do not own anything made by Land Pride,.... and now...... likely never will!
This Parrish guy...... thanks you for sharing your experience.

Reactions: 1 user

SarasotaMan

Equipment
BX23s
Jul 31, 2023
Sarasota, Florida USA
Bought my BB1260 two weeks ago brand new and just noticed this weekend that one of mine broke off in use without me knowing. It's just been used on dirt.
You should check the blade to see if it had a crack. I see videos of people using these on hard pack rocky soil and hard pack gravel, something is not right. I am still waiting for a response from Land Pride.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
wow thats crazy! ive had mine since 2020. Once I lost a pin from my 3pt and mangled the arms when it dropped at full speed. Didnt bend or break the BB even slighty. i was going full speed when it dropped. sounds like the QC has dropped.

BigPapi

Equipment
BX2380, FEL, 60" LP Landscape Rake and 48" LP Box Blade
Sep 23, 2021
Vermont
Curious if you called Land Pride or just sent them an email? In my experience many companies are not very responsive with replying to emails. Sometimes I wonder why they even list them for questions or concerns???

SarasotaMan

Equipment
BX23s
Jul 31, 2023
Sarasota, Florida USA
Curious if you called Land Pride or just sent them an email? In my experience many companies are not very responsive with replying to emails. Sometimes I wonder why they even list them for questions or concerns???
Good point. I emailed them, to two different listings. I could not find a phone number anywhere.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
sounds like the QC has dropped.
Such a general statement based on one failure. Not saying that you're wrong but more data would help.

I had a small Land Pride box blade that I used behind the BX and never had a problem until in the 4th of 5th year of ownership when I let a friend use it and he broke all of the tines. When I replaced them at the local dealership I think they were all made in India.

Reactions: 1 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Why are you not going to the dealership? Warranty would be handled through them, not through LP directly…

249E8A0C-45CA-4F84-A892-E31449CF3B6D.jpeg

Edit: maybe the OPs is outside the warranty time, I mixed up with the other member that said theirs was two weeks old and broke. Would still try dealer in either case.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Looks newish, so if it was bought new by you from a dealer I'd get in their face right away.

Reactions: 1 users

GibbyESS9

Equipment
2020 Bx23s,BX2672 plow, Titan Forks, Land Pride 48” BB, FEL, Bestco Flail mower
Sep 30, 2020
Blue Point NY / Newfoundland PA
I broke one of mine in the same spot last year, but it was a Huge rock I did nt see below the gravel driveway. I just bought a new one from amazon I think it was. I think it broke because all the weight was on that one scarifier.. Or could be cheap crap. LOL

Gibby

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
bummer...
why ???
bad steel, bad heat treat, bad design... take your pick..
I'd pick design as it broke AT the notch, which IS the weakest point( think 'shear pin' design....)

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
With all due respect....screw that warranty wording.
This is clearly a defect, not wear and tear.
If the dealer won't help, call the mfg.
These are $20 to $30.......but that's not the issue.
Your paint diagnosis is right on.
Bent or wore down.....different story.
But to snap like that? That's a defect.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
bummer...
why ???
bad steel, bad heat treat, bad design... take your pick..
I'd pick design as it broke AT the notch, which IS the weakest point( think 'shear pin' design....)
He said that there was paint in the crack so it was defective before it made it to the paint booth. Yes, it appears to be a bad design but they have no control over the manufacturing process.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Yes, it appears to be a bad design but they have no control over the manufacturing process.

The manufacturer has 100% control over the manufacturing process. The MFR at the very least will spec out grade of steel, how it's machined, dimensions, design, heat treat method, paint as well as quality control/ testing.
Landpride may 'sub out' the tines ,but that doesn't mean they don't 'control' the process for those tines.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
re: Yes, it appears to be a bad design but they have no control over the manufacturing process.

The manufacturer has 100% control over the manufacturing process. The MFR at the very least will spec out grade of steel, how it's machined, dimensions, design, heat treat method, paint as well as quality control/ testing.
Landpride may 'sub out' the tines ,but that doesn't mean they don't 'control' the process for those tines.
So then they had a controlled crack? I have been in the tool & die business for only 59 years, perhaps I don't understand manufacturing?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

Agreed!
But.......maybe not 100% true for made in China stuff.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I don't think there is a way to determine if it's a defect unless you know the limits they designed into it. ;). Also, I'm pretty sure Land Pride probably don't produce the steel.

In any case, I rarely use my scarifiers, but mine have held up for almost 4 years. As noted, it's a relatively cheap part. It might be good to break it compared to something else that could break instead.

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
I have snapped a few and all at that same place. My box blade is not a Land Pride. We have a store here in N.C. called Agri-Supply. They stock them and sell a bunch of the rippers. Box labeling is all Chinese. I believe they are cast and then machined.