Land Pride blade nut

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Tom - - of course the disadvantage is not being near the cutter to check the size of the nut.

I was there once with the 30MM blade nut on my mower deck.

For what it's worth, this is a 3/4 drive set I got from Harbor Freight years ago.

All 12-point, so not good. 1 3/4 and 1 13/16. No 1 11/16. Does have a breaker bar and extensions.

IMG_6698.jpeg

Lug66

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, Z422KWT
Jun 7, 2023
SW Michigan
The 1 1/8 is the internal diameter with 12 (pitch) threads per inch. (1 1/8-12). The 1 11/16 is the outer flats on the nut and are measured directly opposite from each other. See if you can rent the tools and if available use 3/4 or 1 inch drive.

TxTom

Equipment
L3301
Sep 16, 2022
Leon County, Tx
OK, now I'm thinking about ordering a 900 ft lbs 1/2" drive impact wrench from Amazon that will work with my Dewalt 20 volt batteries. I'll also get a 1 11/16" socket and an extension, all impact rated.
I can get all that for about $150 and I'll be happy if it works. I'll let y'all know.

Reactions: 1 users

JP_Austin

Equipment
2021 Kubota M4D-071
Feb 15, 2022
Austin TX
I have a Lands Pride Bat Wing and it takes the same 1 11/16" socket to remove the nut. Yes you can remove the plastic covers to get to the other side. Just don't misplace the cover (ask me how I know).

I used a 1/2" Drive Electric Milwaukee Impact and that nut just laughed at it. Mind you this same impact normally removes everything. A 1/2" 3 foot breaker bar with a 6 foot cheater pipe got it loose. I didn't have a 3/4" breaker bar at the time. It worked but I was praying that the breaker bar would stay in one piece.

I managed to get them off and substantially reshaped them after they had taken on lots of 2" or more mesquite as well as several large rocks. Beat the living snot out of the blades. Since that first shredding day the field has had a majority of the rocks picked up and I ended up spraying the mesquite. I waited for the darn mesquite to die, then cutting with a brush cutter blade down near the surface to actually clean up about 40 acres. Only took me about half dozen brush blades and more scratches and cuts than I care to recall.

Last edited:

JP_Austin

Equipment
2021 Kubota M4D-071
Feb 15, 2022
Austin TX
OK, now I'm thinking about ordering a 900 ft lbs 1/2" drive impact wrench from Amazon that will work with my Dewalt 20 volt batteries. I'll also get a 1 11/16" socket and an extension, all impact rated.
I can get all that for about $150 and I'll be happy if it works. I'll let y'all know.
BTW - Im a fan of the Torque Test Channel on You Tube. Before shelling out $$$ for that impact go see that site as he likely tested the impact your thinking of picking up. In general most no name tools on Amazon underperform badly. Just go into the purchase with knowledge and you may be investing in another tool

Last edited:

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Tom, once you get the nut loose you'll probably need a heavy hammer and punch type tool to drive the blade bolt out. Leave the nut on but loose so you don't booger up the threads on the bolt.

TxTom

Equipment
L3301
Sep 16, 2022
Leon County, Tx
I received a reply from Land Pride this morning. My cutter has 1 1/8" nuts that require a 1 11/16" socket. Now I'm hoping the impact wrench I ordered can loosen them.

JP_Austin

Equipment
2021 Kubota M4D-071
Feb 15, 2022
Austin TX
Tom according to the link above that wrench will only go 600Ft Lbs on a good day. Believe the Amazon one is at the 8:30 mark in the above video. 500-600 depending on battery. Hopefully works for you but my Milwaukee wouldn't budge it.

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Here is a skinny armed redneck way to break the nut loose…

Get the six point socket, extension and breaker bar on the nut.
Get a cable come-along attached to the three point hitch structure of the mower.
Arrange the wrench and come-along so they are about the same height for a fairly level pull on the cable.
Arrange the wrench and come-along so the wrench is about 90 degrees to the pull point.
Double the cable so you get twice the pull and half the distance for each handle stroke.

Hook the come-along’s hook onto the wrench handle and then put some safety wire holding it on somewhat. I also recommend putting a vise grip pliers on both sides of the hook to keep the hook in place.

Then tighten the come-along to move the extension against the side of the hole. You can put some wood or brass between the extension and hole to prevent minor damage if you want or if the mower deck is thin.

Then get the cable fairly tight and put yourself out of harm’s way with a pipe extension on the handle of the come-along. I also set up a 4x4 post guard if possible or I think of it or I feel nervous about the tension that is building up in the come-along.

Be sure you rigged to pull the correct direction to loosen the nut.

Tighten cable and watch the magic happen.

Honestly when I did this it popped loose after a few clicks on the come-along ratchet and was not very dangerous (but ignorance may have been bliss?). The hole in my deck was at the 3 o’clock position (if noon is at front center of the mower, under the three point hitch) so in a good position to use the 3PH structure as the pulling point.

I did have a 3/4 breaker bar that was at least 3 feet long but no pipe extension to use. I don’t like to struggle with things so when I couldn’t get it loose by arm strength I resorted to the pulling method.

And since you have good access to the nuts you can spray some penetrating oil on the threads. I use PB Blaster since it is easy to purchase and has worked well for me.

Last edited:

TxTom

Equipment
L3301
Sep 16, 2022
Leon County, Tx
Well, I gotter done. The $120 impact wrench along with an extension and a 1 11/16 socket loosened each nut after a minute or two. Much easier than I expected. The old blades were in really bad shape and now the cutter doesn't vibrate like it did.

Reactions: 2 users

Amarillo

Equipment
MX6000 w/ LA1065, tiller, disc, core aerator, box blade, shredder, Blast Sprayer
Jan 10, 2023
Amarillo, TX
Well, I gotter done. The $120 impact wrench along with an extension and a 1 11/16 socket loosened each nut after a minute or two. Much easier than I expected. The old blades were in really bad shape and now the cutter doesn't vibrate like it did.
I just got an impact socket set off Amazon for the same thing you are doing. B0CG142P4T I'm hoping they work out. I couldn't believe I found a set in that size in 1/2" drive. Hopefully I'll have an easy time with it like you did.

Reactions: 1 user