Ladder at the 3ph

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Last week I cut some fir tree down. My wife wanted more sunlight.
I thought about how to cut trees in 8ft height, without damaging the limbs of the tree below. In the end I fixed a ladder at the front 3ph and so I could use the Kubote as a counter weight:

I used a steel wire for the upper link.

Somewhere in the wood...

The trees were cut befor and so there are new toplimbs, which I cut.

Befor and after

The backyard was filled with christmas trees...

I love my little tractor !!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Clever. I have to assume that that 3PH has some downforce to stablize the ladder side to side. Or were you just using it to hold the ladder at an angle between the lower links and the cable to the ladder?

If you do a lot of tree work I highly suggest you get an inexpensive climbing saddle and a climbing rope. See http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=8302&catID=12936

Learn to tie a hitch and for about $250 - $300 you get a lot of safety and can use both hands.

A fall from a few feet up will probably cost a lot more.

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Clever. I have to assume that that 3PH has some downforce to stablize the ladder side to side. Or were you just using it to hold the ladder at an angle between the lower links and the cable to the ladder?

If you do a lot of tree work I highly suggest you get an inexpensive climbing saddle and a climbing rope...
The ladder was always on the ground so it was actually really stable. I lift it only to drive to the next tree.

The funny thing is, that I have all the gear to climb in heights. At work I climb up towers (up to 350ft) for radar service. I have not only the training to be licenced to do that, I also have a licence to teach others... ;)

But the problem here was, to fix the rope at a height and a limb that could support that case and will catch my fall. The correct way would have been to have an extra lifter, just for the safety.
Or what I just did the two times a limb did not carry my and I fall down. I caught some other limbs and pulled me up again. :rolleyes: You do not really fall, it is more a sliding.
Slower working and controlled moves does also help.

carl

ps
And I did not use a chainsaw, it was a sable saw.

Last edited: