LA504 Question on B3300SU

mlatour3300

Equipment
B3300SU
Dec 18, 2011
west lafayette, indiana
My B3300SU is equipped with a LA504 loader and 60" bucket. As background, when I push into gravel or dirt at the bottom of pile and then attempt to pick up while adding forward pressure going into the pile it seems like the loader brakes out-just outright failing to lift. However, when I slightly backup or scoop upwards while entering the pile-the tractor has no problem lifting the load. Point is, I thought driving into a pile, attempting to lift the machine would apply full pressure feeling it in the seat of your pants constantly (may not lift, but still applying full pressure), but my loaders appears to give full attempt and seems to stop applying any pressure until I back, so just curious if other have experienced a similar event and very likely normal-just interested in comments.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Sounds like you're taking too much of a bite off the pile at one time. If you start at the bottom and try to drive forward and lift up at the same time, you're trying to fill the bucket and lift it up out of the pile. Alot of force going on at once. Try taking bites off the pile from the middle and see what that does.

Ideally what you want to do is aim for the middle of the pile, slowly move forward into the pile and kind of scoop the dirt into the bucket rather then try and jam the bucket into the bottom and try to grap a full load that way. You want to do a lifting scooping motion. Play around with it, it takes time to load a bucket and not kill yourself in the process.

mlatour3300

Equipment
B3300SU
Dec 18, 2011
west lafayette, indiana
Sounds like you're taking too much of a bite off the pile at one time. If you start at the bottom and try to drive forward and lift up at the same time, you're trying to fill the bucket and lift it up out of the pile. Alot of force going on at once. Try taking bites off the pile from the middle and see what that does.

Ideally what you want to do is aim for the middle of the pile, slowly move forward into the pile and kind of scoop the dirt into the bucket rather then try and jam the bucket into the bottom and try to grap a full load that way. You want to do a lifting scooping motion. Play around with it, it takes time to load a bucket and not kill yourself in the process.
I thought that may be the case, because when you look at the loader book it describes precisely what you are articulating. Thanks, M

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
When you are scooping from the bottom, you tend to pull right on the joystick lever first to angle the bucket up to its limit, then pull down on the lever to lift the bucket. If you do not completely release the angling activity, the hydraulics can lock up, and you cannot lift. This happened to me several times this afternoon - the tendency is to keep pulling to the right, then down to lift. Locks up every time. Make sure you get the lever in the center, then pull down.
My old tractor had dual levers - I liked them better. I always knew what I was doing and where the levers were.

magicheater

Equipment
B26, B7800, Auto Tach-N-Go
My B3300SU is equipped with a LA504 loader and 60" bucket. As background, when I push into gravel or dirt at the bottom of pile and then attempt to pick up while adding forward pressure going into the pile it seems like the loader brakes out-just outright failing to lift. However, when I slightly backup or scoop upwards while entering the pile-the tractor has no problem lifting the load. Point is, I thought driving into a pile, attempting to lift the machine would apply full pressure feeling it in the seat of your pants constantly (may not lift, but still applying full pressure), but my loaders appears to give full attempt and seems to stop applying any pressure until I back, so just curious if other have experienced a similar event and very likely normal-just interested in comments.
Driving into the pile and trying to lift at the same time actually increases the forces, the force forward is impeding the lift. With HST it is a common maneuver to tap reverse while still applying lift to abate the forward forces effects and still come away with a full bucket. Practice will hone this skill. Much of this is technique and once you master this you will have a more rewarding loader experience. Personally I would opt for the 54" bucket on the B3300. I have a 54" on a B7800 and it is more than adequate in volume in an everyday world.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
When you are scooping from the bottom, you tend to pull right on the joystick lever first to angle the bucket up to its limit, then pull down on the lever to lift the bucket. If you do not completely release the angling activity, the hydraulics can lock up, and you cannot lift. This happened to me several times this afternoon - the tendency is to keep pulling to the right, then down to lift. Locks up every time. Make sure you get the lever in the center, then pull down.
My old tractor had dual levers - I liked them better. I always knew what I was doing and where the levers were.
Re-read this as to the LEFT and it makes sense... It is because I'm right handed and left eyed that I get all confused with this simple stuff.