La 480 fel

Skip44

Equipment
Jeeps, L2900, FEL, tiller, brush hog,post hole drill, rock rake
Feb 19, 2014
Alexander, Maine
I started to tap some trees today and used the Tractor to move some snow. After I got done with the first pile my bucket wouldn't tip back up. It will go up and down just not tilt up or dump. Well I really don't know if it will dump because it won't tilt back up. Does the FEL use the same fluid as the PTO? Because the level is fine.

I went to the manual down load spot here and tried to down load a manual but my computer said there was danger with that program.

Help.

PS last time it was in the shop the maintenance chief said the orbiting valve I think he called it was getting sloppy. I believe this is what controls the FEL

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
First thing, check any disconnect couplings, they can pop apart in the oddest of times.
It's not a fluid issue as it raises.
The loader is controlled by a spool valve not an orbit valve.
Is it a single handle or dual handle control?
Does the handle on the spool valve feel sloppy or loose? If so check linkage on it, single handle valves have 2 adjustments on the lever.

Skip44

Equipment
Feb 19, 2014
Alexander, Maine
Thanks for the reply, it has a single handle and yes it has slop. Will the adjustments be obvious?

Skip

Skip44

Equipment
Feb 19, 2014
Alexander, Maine
What was the web site for manuals and will they have one for my LA 480 FEL?

Skip.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Skip44

Equipment
Feb 19, 2014
Alexander, Maine
Again Thanks, I'll go to town a where I can get a good internet connection and down load it. It will be worth the money.

Skip

Skip44

Equipment
Feb 19, 2014
Alexander, Maine
I looked at the Spool Valve today, The linkage is very sloppy and there is some weeping around the valve shaft.
I went ahead and downloaded the manual, I tried twice with Acrobat but it would not open so I tried to just open it so I could print it out. Still no luck, so I tried with Word and it worked so I printed out a copy. I just checked each page to make sure they could be read and I am in good shape. Tomorrow I will order a rebuild kit from Kubota.
Thanks for your help.

Skip

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like you have it going in the right direction, to verify that it's a valve problem and not a cylinder problem swap the two hydraulic lines for roll for the two hydraulic lines for lift and your problem should flip flop and you shouldn't be able to lift it but roll will work, if it doesn't and roll still won't work you have a blown set of seals in a cylinder (or possibly but rarely piston damage).

Last edited:

Skip44

Equipment
Feb 19, 2014
Alexander, Maine
Sounds like you have it going in the right direction, to verify that it's a valve problem and not a cylinder problem swap the two hydraulic lines for roll for the two hydraulic lines for lift and your problem should flip flop and you shouldn't be able to lift it but roll will work, if it doesn't and roll still won't work you have a blown set of seals in a cylinder (or possibly but rarely piston damage).
Will there be pressure on the line with the engine off. What about letting air into the hyd lines?

Skip

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Make sure the bucket is on the ground. With eng off, move the controls in all directions, break the fittings loose very slowly. Any air that gets into the system will bleed itself out.

Skip44

Equipment
Feb 19, 2014
Alexander, Maine
You guys are a great help. You know tractors like I know Jeeps. Tomorrow I have to go the VA to get new hearing aids. I'll be gone most of the day so I won't get a chance to swap the lines around until Tuesday. I'll let you know how it works then. One more question, the hyd fluid must it be Kubota brand. I will be in the big city tomorrow so I can stop by and get some when I order the rebuild kit.

Skip

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
It is best to use the Kubota brand of fluid. The comfort factor of knowing that you have the recommended fluid is worth the difference in price of any cheaper fluid. I don't know what your manual recommends but I suggest Super UDT. As long as you are going to the dealer, you might ask him for his recommendation.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Agreed with everyone,

UDT, or SUDT and mark hoses in original position to cut down on confusion, and air in hydraulics is not a problem.

Skip44

Equipment
Feb 19, 2014
Alexander, Maine
Is there a video library of items being rebuilt, like this hyd valve? If not maybe it's time to start one.

Skip

Skip44

Equipment
Feb 19, 2014
Alexander, Maine
I just talked to my Dealer, the rebuild kit just for the side I need is $139.00. If I need to buy the part it will cost about $1000.00. I guess I don't have a choice.

Skip

Skip44

Equipment
Feb 19, 2014
Alexander, Maine
I did swap the lines around and the bucket worked on the tilt up and the dump and the arms went up, but not down. So I will rebuild that side of the controls. When I do I will take a lot of pictures and post them up.

Skip

Skip44

Equipment
Feb 19, 2014
Alexander, Maine
Soooooooo, I just talked with the previous owner and he used trans fluid he got from his old work. I will drain the fluid and replace it and the filter. Is there something I can use to flush the system with that won't react with the SUDT?

Skip