LA 1150 Boom Cylinder Rebuild

MilkyWay

Dec 5, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
Guys and Gals; I have not been on the forum for years bc my old 'pooter died and I had to get a new one and try to retrieve old bookmarks and logins. My L5450 with LA1150 loader blew the boom arm seal on one side and I would love for someone to advise me on removing the cap/end that holds the cylinder together. I bought a cheap adjustable spanner with 6mm prongs but a tremendous amount of pressure has failed to crack the cap loose. I don't have ox-acetylene to try heating it. I took the one that blew the seal to my local Kubota sales/service center and they buggered one of the spanner holes in the cap. It isn't ruined, I don't think, but it isn't like it used to be. Thank you in advance for any responses. Jim@MilkyWay

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I would just take it to a local hydraulic shop and let the professionals do the job. Their price with parts may be less than Kubota wants for the parts alone.

Reactions: 2 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If one cylinder has gone bad, might as well have both done, because the other one isn't far behind in failing.

Reactions: 3 users

Edke6bnl

Equipment
B7800 Kubota, case 1840 Skidsteer Ford 3500
Mar 31, 2022
Agua Dulce, California
My older b7800 tractor loader arm leaked rebuilt it and a year later the other is still fine, have all the parts if it goes though.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
A couple years ago, I noticed one of my loader lift cylinders was leaking a bit...planned to take it to a hydraulic shop for rebuild.

Couple days later before I got that one off, I noticed the other one had just started leaking too.

They were both rebuilt for not too much more than what I would have paid for the parts from Kubota...was worth it to me to have the shop do it.

So I am in the camp that says rebuild both at the same time.

But if you are doing it yourself, probably makes no difference at all...

Edke6bnl

Equipment
B7800 Kubota, case 1840 Skidsteer Ford 3500
Mar 31, 2022
Agua Dulce, California
A couple years ago, I noticed one of my loader lift cylinders was leaking a bit...planned to take it to a hydraulic shop for rebuild.

Couple days later before I got that one off, I noticed the other one had just started leaking too.

They were both rebuilt for not too much more than what I would have paid for the parts from Kubota...was worth it to me to have the shop do it.

So I am in the camp that says rebuild both at the same time.

But if you are doing it yourself, probably makes no difference at all...
[/QU
here in So. California when I checked on having it done the price was $250 -$350 each. that is when I decided to do it my self for about $45 each for the parts. For maybe $100 to $125 I would let them do it, but the prices were too steep for my budget.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
here in So. California when I checked on having it done the price was $250 -$350 each. that is when I decided to do it my self for about $45 each for the parts. For maybe $100 to $125 I would let them do it, but the prices were too steep for my budget.
Wow! I paid $100 each out the door for mine. I think the seals from Kubota were something like $60~65 plus shipping, so I did not feel too bad...

Maybe you might shop around and see if that place did not want your business or if that is the going rate locally...?

Last edited:

MilkyWay

Dec 5, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
Wow! I paid $100 each out the door for mine. I think the seals from Kubota were something like $60~65 plus shipping, so I did not feel too bad...

Maybe you might shop around and see if that place did not want your business or if that is the going rate locally...?
The Kubota sales/service center was not only high as a cats back but they quoted 6 to 8 weeks turnaround. Thanks but no thanks. I did buy the parts from them and I think they charged about the same as Messicks but no shipping cost at the dealer. I am now going to post a new set of questions regarding the actual procedure.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
The Kubota sales/service center was not only high as a cats back but they quoted 6 to 8 weeks turnaround. Thanks but no thanks. I did buy the parts from them and I think they charged about the same as Messicks but no shipping cost at the dealer. I am now going to post a new set of questions regarding the actual procedure.
Good for you. Never done it myself but from what I’ve read here it’s not all that difficult.

There are some threads here explaining certain things about the best way to accomplish the goal.

Unfortunately I don’t have any links saved since I don’t plan on doing that myself. But I’m convinced it’s not that hard…