L6060 4wd Gear Ratio

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
I am trying to find what the gear ratio is for this tractor so that I can calculate lead/lag. I cannot find this information in the shop manual or my owners manual. Does anybody have this info offhand? I think it’s 1.43 but am not sure and a lil bit of gear makes a big difference

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I am trying to find what the gear ratio is for this tractor so that I can calculate lead/lag. I cannot find this information in the shop manual or my owners manual. Does anybody have this info offhand? I think it’s 1.43 but am not sure and a lil bit of gear makes a big difference
Do not know but the front to rear ratio difference cannot possibly be anything approaching 1.4:1.

SDT

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
Do not know but the front to rear ratio difference cannot possibly be anything approaching 1.4:1.

SDT
If all else fails, field measurement will work. You probably have this, but just in case.

Attachments

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
the front is always faster, makes it so you can actually steer it with the fwa engaged

sometimes there is a formula in the shop manual that tells you the f-r ratio difference.

HighMoon

Equipment
L5740, 854 Loader, LandPride Gapple, Maschio Tiller, New Holland Flail Mower, et
Jan 27, 2021
U.P. Michigan
I had same problem with a different model. Dealers didn't know. Not in manuals. Kubota USA wouldn't tell me. Finally talked to a large farm tire servicer. He told me the approach they use for any brand/model of 4wd ag equipment is to always make sure that the front-to-rear static load radius ratio is within 2% of the OEM-spec tires. He advised sometimes you can get away with up 4% but beyond that you risk transfer case problems.

I never did confirm my lead/lag. All I know is the larger set of R4s I have now work a hell of a lot better than what Kubota offers. No problems, turns great, mud clears better, better flotation on the front when using the loader in soft soils, and much better traction.

Attachments

Last edited:

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA

SDT
I beg to differ...... Rear Tires 143 inches rolling Circumference. Front tires 98" rolling circumference. If the front tire was exactly 100" - the ratio would be 1.43:1

Granted that is the differential between MY tractors tires as they roll - - The mechanical gear ratio has to be somewhere close to that or my Lead/Lag would be way out of tolerance from the factory. Which incidentally I think it is. It feels to me like I am PUSHING the front wheels when I am in 4WD. The recommended is a slight lead on the front (less than 6%)

HighMoon

Equipment
L5740, 854 Loader, LandPride Gapple, Maschio Tiller, New Holland Flail Mower, et
Jan 27, 2021
U.P. Michigan
I beg to differ...... Rear Tires 143 inches rolling Circumference. Front tires 98" rolling circumference. If the front tire was exactly 100" - the ratio would be 1.43:1

Granted that is the differential between MY tractors tires as they roll - - The mechanical gear ratio has to be somewhere close to that or my Lead/Lag would be way out of tolerance from the factory. Which incidentally I think it is. It feels to me like I am PUSHING the front wheels when I am in 4WD. The recommended is a slight lead on the front (less than 6%)
I have heard others, smarter than me, that figured out their Lead/Lag had found Kubota OEM tires had them in a slight Lag situation. So what you say about PUSHING doesn't surprise me.

HighMoon

Equipment
Jan 27, 2021
U.P. Michigan
When I was trying to figure mine out I was getting 1.56-1.57ish ratio numbers (I have a different model tractor). I'd get a slightly different number if I used tire rolling circumference vs tire static loaded radius, but they were well within 0.01 of eachother. Being a recovering mechancial eng'neer my intuition is that the loaded radius is closer to the dynamic mechanical realities of what is going on when comparing the front drive to the rear drive travel, but I think in practice either derivation of the ratio is good enough.

HighMoon

Equipment
Jan 27, 2021
U.P. Michigan
Yes all the mechanical engineer in me says.... ask the manufacturer for the damn gear ratio and work out the math.
Are you getting the PUSHING on all surfaces: soft soils > firm soils > hard ground?

Another thought .. the front do wear quicker than the rear, and with wear an initial Lead condition could become a Lag. Probably not an issue if your tires are still fairly young in life.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

We are obviously not talking about the same thing.

SDT

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
Here is a second resource that might be helpful

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
YES I can use the titan calculator Except that I must know the gear ratio in order to calculate lead/lag
Well, if your tractor had four wheel drive on/off, you use the first instructions I posted. You can "field measure" the distances the front tires cover with the FWD on, and the FWD off. Lead/lag should only be in play with FWD on. Maybe this helps.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
its not that big of a deal unless you drive around with the FWA "on" all the time, on hard packed surfaces....which ya ain't really supposed to do. But of all of the sub 100hp tractors I seen, 95% of them never touch the FWA engagement, on all the time...and they wonder why they wear tires, steer funny, and break front axle parts, gears, bearings, etc.

It's a FWA, not AWD. Big difference. U turn it on when you need it but ya ain't supposed to leave it on all the time

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
A last word on this subject. Pay attention to Lugbolt's post, he knows what he is writing about. I couldn't find a published reference to the "gear ratio" for my tractor anywhere, so I sent an email to Kubota asking for it. Attached is what they sent me, and it only took them a couple of hours to respond. I was a little surprised at the 1.672. I am going to check the published "rolling circumference" of the original equipment tires I have to see if the front rotation in four wheel drive is really somewhere around 1.672 times the back.

The front needs to have a slight "lead" to maintain steering.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm..old ( 76ish) Ramchargers had 3.77 in front, 3.78 in rear diffs, so really a FWD vehicle.found that out the hard way....

HighMoon

Equipment
Jan 27, 2021
U.P. Michigan
A last word on this subject. Listen to what Lugbolt says. He knows what he is talking about. I couldn't find a published reference to the "gear ratio" for my tractor anywhere, so I sent an email to Kubota asking for it. Attached is what they sent me, and it only took them a couple of hours to respond. I was a little surprised at the 1.672. I am going to check the published "rolling circumference" of the original equipment tires I have to see if the front rotation in four wheel drive is really somewhere around 1.672 times the back.

The front needs to have a slight "lead" to maintain steering.
Thanks for sharing that. I got the run around on it when I called. I am going to try an email and see if I can get the same thing you did for my L5740. Appreciate you sharing your success. Thank you.