L5030 Running out of fuel

Randy1

Equipment
Kubota L5030 HST
Feb 2, 2016
Colora, Md.
I recently purchased a 2006 L5030 with 800 hours on it one owner. According to the manual and spec sheets I've read on-line, the fuel tank should hold 11.4 gallons. The issue is, I'm running out of fuel (filter canister empty) when the fuel gauge is reading one mark above half tank and it takes about 5.5 gallons to fill it back up. From an appearance standpoint the tank looks to be large enough to hold the 11.4 gal. as mentioned in the manual, etc. In addition, I would hope a 50 hp. tractor would carry more than 5.5 gal. of fuel. Unfortunately, do to the inlet position and configuration of the tank I'm unable to see if it's completely empty.
I haven't had much time to look into the issue and haven't ruled out the fuel gauge nor have I probed the tank to see if it's empty.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced a situation like this or have any thoughts.

Thank you in advance,
Randy

osut362

Equipment
M9000dtc, b7500hs
Mar 15, 2009
Lindale, Texas
Next time it starts to run of fuel, stop. Remove the fuel fill cap. If it runs o.k. after removal your tank vent is plugged up. Clean the vent tube with a stiff piece of wire and you may be good to go.....Al

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
When a tractor starts running out of fuel and has a high mounted tank and mechanical lift pump the cause of the problem is a failed lift pump.

Here is an image of one:

The insides of a typical pump look like this one.

The red diaphragm often splits.

The schematic of your fuel system shows the lift pump pointed out by the red arrow.

Your complaint of running out of fuel has been so common that I pre wrote this description of why there is a lift pump.

Most tractors are designed in the way I will describe if the fuel tank filler is above the engine.
When the fuel tank is half full or more and you are operating on level ground, gravity will deliver fuel from the tank to the injection pump.
If tank levels are lower and further, if you are on sloped ground, the gravity fuel feed no longer works and designers incorporate lift pumps to move fuel from the tank to the injection pump.
The lift pump is usually some sort of simple mechanical pump mounted on the side of the engine. If you follow the fuel line from the bottom of the tank you will come to the lift pump which is usually before the filter but not always.

When you start running out of fuel with the gauge still showing fuel in the tank, suspect the lift pump is not delivering fuel to the injection pump.

Often when this happens the owner will notice that the crankcase oil level is high. This is because the diaphragm in the lift pump is split allowing fuel to leak into the crankcase. This can be dangerous to the engine. All oil should be drained and replaced. Until a new lift pump is available, connect the inlet and outlet hoses to the fuel pump together and keep the tank level high. The tractor will run but no fuel will be getting into the crankcase.

Dave m7040

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Dave_eng,
While your description and all is great, I'm thinking that's not the issue here, as the "I'm running out of fuel (filter canister empty)" is a sing of eith it's sucking air at the filter canister or from the line or tank,also a bad vent can cause issues.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Wolfman
I agree that other causes are possible but if I am correct and it is the lift pump, the consequences can be a crankcase filling with fuel destroying the bearings.
If there is an air leak you run out of fuel and, while inconvenient, no big deal.
Perhaps understanding why a fuel delivery system can go from working to not and, from my description of the need for a lift pump, an owner can understand why an air leak acts
one way on 1/2 a tank and another at a full tank.

We have had owners posting on this forum about plugged tank vents. When they have a plastic fuel tank, it can partially collapse but if it is a steel tank
in my experience, the symptom of running out of fuel is not at a consistent level. If the tractor is refueled and then driven until it "runs out of fuel,"it can happen at one tank level.
In other shorter running scenarios when the tractor is parked, some air manages to find its way in and equalize the pressures and the tank levels at which this happens are varying.

I respect everyone's views, especially people like you who regularly are trying to help those with problems.
I certainly am not the expert above all others!!!

I am an old man with 40 years as an engineer in various technical fields.
It does not make me better than someone who has years of keeping farm machinery working and who has a wealth of differing experience.

Back to the matter at hand. I believe you will agree many people with tractors which need a mechanical lift pump are unaware of the reason the designers
of the machinery included it. If my post at least enlightens them a little I am happy.

I hope the owners who are in distress consider all posts because their stories can be incomplete and a forum member's suggestion can suddenly trigger a thought
which leads to the cause of their difficulty.

Regrettably, some who post with a problem, receive the opinions of many, never think to re post with the outcome so everyone, including me, can learn from their experience.

Sorry my post of the schematic of the fuel system was too big making everyone scroll sideways to see all the text.

It would be great to meet you some day! I picture you with a big beard :)

Dave M7040