L48 - what are the 2 orange knobs on the back of the tractor?

Elliemay79

Equipment
2005 L48 Kubota
Mar 25, 2024
Southern Oregon
Hey y’all have a question. i just purchased a L48 from auction and was wondering what these two levers/knobs did? And what position they should be in and for what purpose?
Thanks in advance
IMG_4802.jpeg

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I don't know what those levers are for, however, I would get some penetrating oil on the three-point hitch parts and let it soak in until you can work on them to get them loose. It looks like the previous owner put all the toys onto that tractor, at least in the rear.

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hey y’all have a question. i just purchased a L48 from auction and was wondering what these two levers/knobs did? And what position they should be in and for what purpose?
Thanks in advance View attachment 124957
From the L48 TLB WSM....page 12-S2

The lever on the left side of your picture must be in the "Three point hitch position".
I believe that position is pulled all the way out. (should be marked)

The lever on the right side of your picture, must THEN be in the "Without backhoe position". That position should be turned all the way to the right (should also be marked).

I do not have my copy of the operators manual handy.

Per WSM: It is very important that these be set properly, or hyd. damage can occur.
I have the WSM in my hand, but my L48 is far away.

I would strongly suggest that you buy/find a copy of the L48TLB WSM.
E-Bay has 'em:
326051669565 ....$56.44
296053968657.....$49.99 + $8 ship
304942043933.....$64

Congratulations on your purchase!
The L48 TLB is one fantastic machine!

Please feel free to private message me, if you think I might be able help in any other way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

#40Fan

Jul 21, 2022
USA
They are to control the flow for the backhoe when installed.

See if you can find an owners manual if not the workshop manual.

2001TLB

Equipment
L48TLB, 60" EA SSQA Root Rake Grapple, EA SSQA Fork lift
Nov 14, 2021
Shelton, Washington
Thanks in advance View attachment 124957
Congratulations on your new machine. I have the L48 as well. If you were so inclined, I sure would like to see pictures of the rest of the top and tilt hydraulic control valves and the plumbing/hoses (where pictures are possible).

As was mentioned above, they are vary capable machines. Did your L48 include the backhoe? If no backhoe was included, you want to be sure to have the rear tires ballasted. With a fully loaded 6' bucket, the rear is really light without the backhoe. Don't ask me how I know.;)

Doug

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
They are to control the flow for the backhoe when installed.

See if you can find an owners manual if not the workshop manual.
See post #3,...... just prior to your post #4.

Elliemay79

Equipment
2005 L48 Kubota
Mar 25, 2024
Southern Oregon
Congratulations on your new machine. I have the L48 as well. If you were so inclined, I sure would like to see pictures of the rest of the top and tilt hydraulic control valves and the plumbing/hoses (where pictures are possible).

As was mentioned above, they are vary capable machines. Did your L48 include the backhoe? If no backhoe was included, you want to be sure to have the rear tires ballasted. With a fully loaded 6' bucket, the rear is really light without the backhoe. Don't ask me how I know.;)

Doug
From the L48 TLB WSM....page 12-S2

The lever on the left side of your picture must be in the "Three point hitch position".
I believe that position is pulled all the way out. (should be marked)

The lever on the right side of your picture, must THEN be in the "Without backhoe position". That position should be turned all the way to the right (should also be marked).

I do not have my copy of the operators manual handy.

Per WSM: It is very important that these be set properly, or hyd. damage can occur.
I have the WSM in my hand, but my L48 is far away.

I would strongly suggest that you buy/find a copy of the L48TLB WSM.
E-Bay has 'em:
326051669565 ....$56.44
296053968657.....$49.99 + $8 ship
304942043933.....$64

Congratulations on your purchase!
The L48 TLB is one fantastic machine!

Please feel free to private message me, if you think I might be able help in any other way.
Thank you for reaching out to answer my questions. And you are correct. I drove into town to the Kubota dealership today to pick the guys brain on what those levers were and he was able to find a page out of the owners manual to print out for me. Unfortunately I don’t have the Kubota in hand yet but will be picking it up from the auction this weekend. Hope you don’t mind. I’ll definitely be reaching out in the future if I have any questions?

Elliemay79

Equipment
2005 L48 Kubota
Mar 25, 2024
Southern Oregon

Doug
When I get the tractor home, I’ll take some good pictures. I pick it up from the auction this weekend. 😁

Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Thank you for reaching out to answer my questions. And you are correct. I drove into town to the Kubota dealership today to pick the guys brain on what those levers were and he was able to find a page out of the owners manual to print out for me. Unfortunately I don’t have the Kubota in hand yet but will be picking it up from the auction this weekend. Hope you don’t mind. I’ll definitely be reaching out in the future if I have any questions?
I would go back to the dealer with a thumb drive in hand and ask him if he would give you a copy of the manual(s). If he is in a generous mood he can give you the service manual, parts manual, and the owner's manual. If you get even one or two manuals, I would be bringing him a box full of donuts. My wife is always making cookies for anyone who helps her out in her business, and they all love her for it. This morning she made chocolate chip cookies for the fellow who does her car repairs, even though it isn't in the shop. His wife was in her store yesterday picking something up and commented how much he lovers her cookies. That was all that it took for her to get up early enough to make a batch for him. They were still warm from the oven when she dropped them off this morning.

• Love

Elliemay79

Equipment
2005 L48 Kubota
Mar 25, 2024
Southern Oregon
I would go back to the dealer with a thumb drive in hand and ask him if he would give you a copy of the manual(s). If he is in a generous mood he can give you the service manual, parts manual, and the owner's manual. If you get even one or two manuals, I would be bringing him a box full of donuts. My wife is always making cookies for anyone who helps her out in her business, and they all love her for it. This morning she made chocolate chip cookies for the fellow who does her car repairs, even though it isn't in the shop. His wife was in her store yesterday picking something up and commented how much he lovers her cookies. That was all that it took for her to get up early enough to make a batch for him. They were still warm from the oven when she dropped them off this morning.
Great tip! I might just give that a try. The worst he could say ins no 😉

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
All the above replies are correct, they are for the backhoe. I can never remember which way they are supposed to be and my stickers were illegible when I got my l48. Yours seem to be in decent shape for the most part.

Attachments

Elliemay79

Equipment
2005 L48 Kubota
Mar 25, 2024
Southern Oregon
Thank you all for your wisdom, we got her started and brought home. Had 2 BAD battery cables, one end on the ground was even melted. So went with 2 ot for both. But I do have a seriously dumb blond question …..since my owners manual hasn’t arrived yet. Is there a parking brake on this model? It moves in reverse great, hydraulics are strong, but has resistance moving forward. My first thought is parking brake…advice?

2001TLB

Equipment
L48TLB, 60" EA SSQA Root Rake Grapple, EA SSQA Fork lift
Nov 14, 2021
Shelton, Washington
Thank you all for your wisdom, we got her started and brought home. Had 2 BAD battery cables, one end on the ground was even melted. So went with 2 ot for both. But I do have a seriously dumb blond question …..since my owners manual hasn’t arrived yet. Is there a parking brake on this model? It moves in reverse great, hydraulics are strong, but has resistance moving forward. My first thought is parking brake…advice?
There is a lever to the right and below the steering wheel that you lift while pressing the brake pedals. A parking brake indicator on the dash should light, but may not if the switch mechanism is faulty.
Doug

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Press the brakes really hard to release the parking brake, if it is set. The latch is spring loaded, when you press the brakes, it releases itself.