L4760 no power on ignition - electrical problem

PCC

Equipment
L4760, 84" mowing deck, 74" inverted snowblower, scattershot
Feb 13, 2019
Terra Cotta, ON, Canada
We have a 2016 L4760 that just got the 100h service done by the dealer (at 123h). They also installed a Scattershot on the FEL via a new third function they added during that service. We needed it for sanding roads in our community, here in Canada. Tractor now has 143h.

We started getting electrical problems about 10h ago. Basically the tractor would work normally for about an hour or so (snowblowing), then it would surge (rev up) then lose power. This surging/power-loss would happen 1 or 2 more times instantly afterwards, then the tractor would die. After that it does not start at all. So we are dead in the water in the middle of the road looking like fools. When we put the key in, and turn it, nothing lights up on the dashboard. We confirmed the PTO is switched off.

Dealer initially said it was probably a frozen/blocked fuel line. After about 6 hours we tried starting it up again, and it started up perfectly. When we got it back to the garage, and shut it down, then tried restarting it, we got the same issue. No power to the dash, no clicking sound coming from the engine area either. We make sure to add fuel antifreeze to the tank per the dealers recommendation, so we don't believe is a fuel line issue.

We waited the next day and suprisingly are now able to start the tractor on the first try. It works well for about 2h, clearing roads of snow then decides to die again right in the middle of the road. Same issue. Dash does not show any power at all. (yes - PTO is off)

Dealer tech came out. We replaced the ignition switch per his recommendation. We were able to start the tractor up, turned it off a couple of times, so he leaves. We drive it back to the garage about 500m away, and turn it off. Same issue. It won't start up again. No power to the dash. So I guess that rules out a faulty (brand new) ignition switch?

The service tech confirmed the battery is good. The starter relays also appear to be fine, because when the tractor decides it wants to start, it starts without any issues. The tech confirmed we get power to the ignition harness connection. We tested all that before he installed the brand new ignition harness that they ordered.

At this point, I believe we have an electrical problem, but not sure how to troubleshoot it further. I don't believe its the alternator, or starter motor because they don't make any clicking noise, like they normally do when the dash lights up in ACC mode when the key is turned.

It bothers us that we can use the tractor for a random amount of time like a few hours, then it dies suddenly, stranding us. The surging/power-loss would have made sense if it was the (faulty?) ignition switch thinking that the key was being removed, then inserted again rapidly, but the key was always in the ignition, in the on position.

Could this be caused by the new dealer installed scattershot? There was a new on-off switch that was added to the FEL controller. Although, I cannot see how this small switch would cause the entire tractor to lose all electrical power.

Any thoughts on troubleshooting this would be appreciated.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Bad battery, don't trust a simple test take it out take it in and have it load tested, any auto parts store should be able to do it.

Bad battery cables or bad connections, really sounds like a bad ground, pull both ends of cables clean and reattach.

Tech1

Equipment
L4760
Mar 2, 2019
Jacksonville, Texas, USA
I have a 2015 L4760 with cab that did the same thing, lost all battery power. Found the problem to be> two power cables one coming from positive battery clamp and one inside a wire harness very close to positive terminal on battery, it is slightly smaller and has a black plastic connector about 3 inches from positive battery clamp, the terminal inside that connector had corrosion, have had no problems after I cleaned that connection, but have thought about removing that connector completely.

Last edited: