L4740 Rear Work lights issue

stil190

Apr 23, 2016
Indiana
I am in process of adding a couple accessories to my L4740-3 cab tractor. Ordered a rear wiper and rear work lights from local dealer. Wiper installed as expected. However the rear work lights (kit number L8333) do not seem to be the correct for my tractor.

Three issues it seems. The switch that installs into the harness does not seem to match the keying for the available connector. The connector on the lights do not match the connector in the tractor harness. And finally, after taking off the cab roof, it appears that may require an external relay for switching the lamps?

Does anyone have previous experience with install this kit? Should it have included a power relay? Is there a way to confirm which kit I need? Maybe I am missing something?

Thanks.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
I checked the Jan 2016 wholegoods pricelist and it points to L8333 being the correct kit. It also happens to fit the Grand L60’s also.

I’ve seen errors in the pricelist before, so this is not 100% confirmation it is the correct p/n.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
Stil, can you keep this thread UTD? I've got an L4740 too and lights are on my wish list. There are threads here with harness and LED installs and you might want to go that route, they throw a lot of light for a low amp load.

200mph

Equipment
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Is it possible the connector you found is for the rear defogger option and the one for the lights is still up there hiding? The rear defogger uses a relay while the light circuit doesn't.

stil190

Apr 23, 2016
Indiana
We did take the roof off to get a closer look. We did find both the rear defrost and the rear work lights. One is blue, the other is white. I am not 100% sure which is which. The switch from the kit does fit into the blue connector but does not fit into the white connector. However.... when I look at the rear light harness wire colors on the tractor, and what I think is a relay connector (which is not populated), it appears to me that the white connector would be the correct one.

I did stop in to the local dealer today. They said they will need to call Kubota on Monday. So I will stop up and talk to them again Monday.

Also, I do agree that LED's maybe a nice option as well. So I am considering that option as well. But will need to resolve the switch and potential relay question first.

Thanks for the help.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Do you have the WSM for it? If you can post the wiring diagram I can run a blind eye over it?

200mph

Equipment
Mar 3, 2017
PA
The workshop manual doesn't define connector color, but hopefully the attached pictures of the wiring diagram will help sort out the correct connector by referencing the wire colors.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

stil190

Apr 23, 2016
Indiana
It appears that my open relay socket does match the previous diagram. I have larger wires: Pink/blue, Yellow/black and smaller wires Red/white and Orange. I have ohm'ed out the Yellow/black and it does go to the rear work light spade connectors in each rear corner of the cab. The Red/white and Orange do match the wires colors in the white switch connect.

So I did visit the dealer this morning. After a call to Kubota, it was determined that a L4740 with a cab should have an L8329 rear work light kit. (I believe the L8333 kit is for Lxx40 ROPS tractors and cab L5740? Very confusing. So that is now on order. Parts guy was unable to tell me the contents of the kit. Wanted to confirm it contained the missing relay. I guess we will have to wait and see what comes.

200mph

Equipment
Mar 3, 2017
PA
From the info I am looking at L8333 is for cab tractors and L8329 is for ROPS or opposite what you have above. I Have seen errors before in the wholegoods document before and the one I am referencing is dated Jan 1, 2016.

I did not see a relay for rear lights in wiring diagram. Only for the rear defogger circuit. (Perhaps I misread what you were implying about the relay. Ignore if irrelevant)

I hope the new p/n works!!!

Last edited:

stil190

Apr 23, 2016
Indiana
From the info I am looking at L8333 is for cab tractors and L8329 is for ROPS or opposite what you have above. I Have seen errors before in the wholegoods document before and the one I am referencing is dated Jan 1, 2016.

I did not see a relay for rear lights in wiring diagram. Only for the rear defogger circuit. (Perhaps I misread what you were implying about the relay. Ignore if irrelevant)

I hope the new p/n works!!!
Yes you are correct in how those kits are labeled. But when parts guy called Kubota, they told him that L8333 is for ROPS tractors except for the L5740 cab. And that other cab models use the L8329. We will see in a few days.

I am very confident that a relay will be required for these rear work lights to work after tracing out the wires with my meter. Parts guy also could not find a relay in the work light circuit.

Thanks

stil190

Apr 23, 2016
Indiana
Yes you are correct in how those kits are labeled. But when parts guy called Kubota, they told him that L8333 is for ROPS tractors except for the L5740 cab. And that other cab models use the L8329. We will see in a few days.

I am very confident that a relay will be required for these rear work lights to work after tracing out the wires with my meter. Parts guy also could not find a relay in the work light circuit.

Thanks
Update: The L8329 was not even close to being correct. Looked like it is for a ROPS tractor only. Only had 1 light and a Ubolt to mount to ROPS. So dealer is back to contacting Kubota for more suggestions.

200mph

Equipment
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Update: The L8329 was not even close to being correct. Looked like it is for a ROPS tractor only. Only had 1 light and a Ubolt to mount to ROPS. So dealer is back to contacting Kubota for more suggestions.
Your findings are consistent with the Wholegoods list, parts diagrams and various posts on this forum of people who used this single light kit with the ROPS tractors. It's unfortunate your dealer's contact higher up the knowledge chain was so wrong.

What accessories do you have on your tractor now that have switches in the overhead console? The options are Front wiper, Rear wiper, Front Light, Rear Light and Defrost.

Only the Defrost circuit has a relay associated with it. The other (light and wiper) circuits do no use a relay.

The wires for the lights are outside the cab, while the defroster is located inside. Actually there are 3 connections for defrost. One for the rear glass and two for the optional rear corner glass.

Kit L8333 has two lights and is what is listed for L40 and L60 series Cab tractors. I've seen a few threads were people installed the kit without issue, but didn't find any clues within them to help you out.

I hope you can get this resolved with the dealer.

stil190

Apr 23, 2016
Indiana
The mystery is solved! The L8333 kit is correct. The difficulty I had was in locating the connectors for the lights. The correct connectors were completely taped inside the harness for the amber flasher outside the cab. The connector is pretty small and I could not see it under the factory tape. This lead me to believe that the other loose wires in the back corners of the cab were for the lights. (these may be for a rear defroster?) Once I removed the tape from the amber flasher harness, the connectors became obvious and installation was a breeze.

I would suggest that Kubota add a comment in the installation instructions regarding how to locate the connectors. Maybe this post will help someone in the future.

Thanks for the help.

Wildan

Equipment
L4240 HSTC &L3000DT
Sep 19, 2013
St.Lawrence Co.NY
I installed rear work lights on my L4240 HSTC,no problem and no relay.
Plug and play with the factory switch,left side of light console ,no need to remove the roof.
Connector for lights is taped to the wiring for the caution lights(out-side).