L4701 Trailer

HDB

Equipment
Kubota L4701
Dec 20, 2021
SC
I bought my first tractor, a Kubota L4701 several months ago, which I really have enjoyed, and trying to plan ahead for my first 50 hour service, which maybe will be this spring. I live about an hour from the local dealership, and I am considering buying a trailer, which will be used mostly just to haul tractor back and forth to dealership for service. I would appreciate some advise from some of you who have some knowledge about trailers, and tractors. I am considering a 20' trailer, with either 2 3600 lb. axles, or 2 5200lb. axles, or 2 7000 Lb. axles, and also I have a Ford 2018 F150 pickup, thanks for advice.
Hazen Bannister

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I have a 16’ with a pair of 7200lb axles. It looks big until the tractor is on it. With the loader and anything on the 3 point, it barely fits. I’d say 20’ is a minimum. Attached a few pics on the 16’. I think you can see why I think it’s a bit small lengthwise.

From a weight standpoint, with box scrape, grapple, loaded R4’s, loader, etc. the tractor is running around 6,000lb. The trailer weighs something. A pair of 3200lb axles ain’t going to cut it. Make sure the payload capacity (gross weight less trailer weight) is at least 7,000lb, preferably a bit more, if you have loaded tires or wheel weights. That’s going to put you with a 10K trailer as a minimum.

Will a F-150 pull it safely? Some will, some won’t. Depends on the drivetrain and suspension on your specific truck. My Tundra is rated for 9,999lb. It pulls the tractor quite nicely. Some F-150’s are rated well over 10K; some are rated 5K. Check the specs on your truck and don’t exceed them.

You obviously need good trailer brakes. Both axles. Being able to go is good. Being able to stop is necessary for survival.

Also, at the risk of insulting your intelligence which is not my intent, make sure you always have positive tongue weight. Around 10% of load is allegedly ideal. You can measure hitch height before loading and make sure it drops a couple inches after loading or get a hitch ball carrier for the truck that has a scale built in. Too much tongue weight, the front of your truck will be floating and hard to control. To little you’ll be getting the trailer sway of death.

Like you, I rarely use my trailer. So why have one? They can be pretty expensive to purchase, it takes up quite a bit of space, is another thing to maintain, if you haven’t towed similar stuff there’s a learning curve and possibly some rig setup to be done, I have to pay taxes on it every year. But I can haul 7,000lb of railroad ties when I need them for a retaining wall, or haul the tractor to church for a work day, or take it to the dealer to have remotes added. I also pull a 9,000lb camper with my truck so the brakes, slightly stiffer suspension, stiffer tires was already there. I have about $750 in the trailer for parts to get it roadworthy. It’s almost 40 and languished in my Dad’s shed most of that time. He gave it to me in exchange for my fixing it and letting him use it whenever he wants. So I have very little money in it. (Some of the pics are pre-rehab which is why it looks more haggard in some pics than others.) If I had to spend $4,000 to $7500 for a trailer, I might be more amenable to paying the dealer to haul it on the rare occasions they need to see it. Of course if you just want a trailer and have the money have at it. Just some stuff to think about…

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I bought my first tractor, a Kubota L4701 several months ago, which I really have enjoyed, and trying to plan ahead for my first 50 hour service, which maybe will be this spring. I live about an hour from the local dealership, and I am considering buying a trailer, which will be used mostly just to haul tractor back and forth to dealership for service. I would appreciate some advise from some of you who have some knowledge about trailers, and tractors. I am considering a 20' trailer, with either 2 3600 lb. axles, or 2 5200lb. axles, or 2 7000 Lb. axles, and also I have a Ford 2018 F150 pickup, thanks for advice.
Hazen Bannister
While owning a trailer is great for many uses, if you have no other use except to haul your tractor for service , buying a trailer doesn’t make sense. You can rent a 10-14k equipment trailer for about $100 when you need one.

Reactions: 2 users

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
83x24 14k trailer. Trailers are just like shops...never big enough. Make sure you have enough tow vehicle to handle it.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If the main reason for the trailer is to haul to dealer, when needed, save your money! Get the dealer to pickup the tractor. Best timing would be when he's delivering a tractor near you, so he can get yours 'on the way back', should be a cheaper transport fee.
I sold me 'tractor hauler' 2 years ago, recovered TWO parking spots ! If I need to use it, the owner will drop it off, or I can use neighbour's new trailer.
Yes, not all trucks are built for hauling ! Decode the door 'sticker', see what tranny and rear end gears you have,read the manual to see IF it CAN haul the tractor AND trailer.
If(IF) you do buy a trailer be sure it has brakes on BOTH axles and BACKUP LIGHTS. You'll also need to buy a 'brake controller',hopefully truck is prewired with 7pin plug(most are today ??)

Tropical Jack

Equipment
Kubota L3301 w/ FEL & BH, tilt and trim, chipper, box blade, grading blade
Hazen,

I have an older equipment trailer that I have hauled several tractors in. All of the above is good advice. Used to be that you could buy a used trailer relatively cheap. Not the case any more. You might want to consider doing the 50 hr service yourself. It’s not very difficult, and you can learn a lot about your tractor by doing it. If your only use for a trailer is to haul your new tractor to the dealer for service, you might want to consider renting or borrowing a trailer as others have suggested. Or having the dealer provide pickup and return if they are at all reasonable. I would not even consider buying a new trailer if I didn’t already have a used one that I didn’t have much invested in.

Jack

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
if you do get a trailer ,be sure to have it properly undercoated/rustchecked/oil sprayed/rust proofed/ whatever you call it, where you live !!!

HDB

Equipment
Kubota L4701
Dec 20, 2021
SC
I appreciate all the good advise I received!
I will definitely give it some serious thought before buying, if I decide to.
God Bless ,
HB

steveh

Equipment
Kubota L4701, forks, Land Pride rear blade, Wallenstein splitter
Dec 1, 2020
Rocky Mountains
As to the advice above, better talk to your dealer if you end up deciding to have them pick up and deliver back your tractor. Mine will deliver a newly-purchased tractor, but for maintenance or service, I have to hire a co. to come get it and then bring it home. Even for warranty work.... The dealer is about 40 miles from here and the trip costs me $240 each way. Almost $500 round trip.

ddavis83864

Equipment
Kubota Grand L6060
Mar 3, 2021
If you are able and willing, buying some tools and doing the service yourself is much easier and a lot less expensive than a trailer you will probably not use very often.

If a trailer is where you are heading though, look into renting a trailer for when you need it. Much cheaper to let someone else take the hit for maintenance and storing it.

Just a suggestion, Enjoy! :)

Reactions: 1 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Hazen Bannister
If only for service I think as others have mentioned their are other option less expensive, maybe less convenient but certainly less expensive. My dealer will pick up if I am patient after he drops off someone else stuff for no charge…but it requires some patience. Normally I want it done and drop off pick up myself. But maybe ask your dealer about that if he is already in the area…next question do you plan to take your tractor off the property where it resides to use it? If so how often and would you be taking implements. If so think about about all the different things you might take and factor that in. Need to consider all the weight. If tires are or will be loaded ballast whatever…after that next question is how much space to haul the tractor and implement if that will be considered. Bush hog takes up some space. And with that you also need to balance the load properly. I’d recommend you leave yourself an extra foot on either end so you have a little room for the balancing act to get proper tongue weight. But if just for dealer service maybe your dealer would be flexibilble or maybe you have a friend that you could throw some cash at? If it is just for occasional trip to the dealer, be aware tires will dry rot and generally are recommended to be replaced every 5 years. It may very well be cheaper to pay someone to haul once or twice a year than what the tire replacement cost will be. Could Be worth sharpening the pencil? I hope I helped.

HDB

Equipment
Kubota L4701
Dec 20, 2021
SC
Thanks for the useful information.
I was ready to jump in and buy one, and now I think I will check on renting one, no more than I hopefully will need it.
I also was also thinking as long as I don't have a trailer, I have a good excuse not to be able to load it up, and do work for friends and relatives for a favor.😊
Also at the advice of ddavis and others, I am thinking seriously about doing the 50 hour service myself, as I have the shop, tools and resources.
Appreciate the advise!

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I don't like renting equipment even if it makes sense financially. It's such a pain in the butt so I'd rather have the convenience of owning my own equipment. Trailers will last a lifetime if you look after them so their cost over the years can be minimal. They also hold their value well if they're looked after.

I have a bit of a trailer addiction with two PJ dump trailers, one 16' tandem axle and one 10' single axle, as well as a MidSota 22' flatbed trailer and a CargoPro 10' aluminum trailer. I bought the MidSota trailer to haul the MX around and it's the most used of all four trailers. I've picked up implements, hauled the tractor to and from a friend's place, picked up steel, etc.

If you ever buy a trailer, 22' tandem axle is as small as I'd go for your L4701. I haul the tractor with a 7ft rotary cutter hooked up and wouldn't mind a bit more trailer to be honest. 22' is plenty long enough without the cutter though.

The 50 hour service is very easy so it's good advice to handle it yourself.

I've loaned out some of my trailers, and even rented one to a "friend" for a weekend. $100 for a couple of days was a good deal with little risk. He picked it up and dropped it off, and even cleaned it up.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Thanks for the useful information.
I was ready to jump in and buy one, and now I think I will check on renting one, no more than I hopefully will need it.
I also was also thinking as long as I don't have a trailer, I have a good excuse not to be able to load it up, and do work for friends and relatives for a favor.😊
Also at the advice of ddavis and others, I am thinking seriously about doing the 50 hour service myself, as I have the shop, tools and resources.
Appreciate the advise!
A lot of the places that sell these trailers have some used ones they will rent, also equipment rental stores. I have a trailer dealer near me who will rent for $100/day. If you haul your tractor to do jobs or to different properties, it makes sense to buy, but if the only time you will trailer it is for service, renting makes far more sense.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
A lot of the places that sell these trailers have some used ones they will rent, also equipment rental stores. I have a trailer dealer near me who will rent for $100/day. If you haul your tractor to do jobs or to different properties, it makes sense to buy, but if the only time you will trailer it is for service, renting makes far more sense.
I bought a new 14K - 20' trailer in 2017 and paid $4,400 OTD.
I have used the trailer for four meaningful trips.
If I discount my three long NS trips, because of unique circumstances, and include ONLY the ME trip, I would have only had three days of trailer rental (@ $100 per day?).

But.....here is the good news!
My trailer is stored inside, and is currently worth $1,000 more than I paid for it.
23% more than I paid, and always at my immediate disposal!
A bank would pay me .5% per annum or less, on that $4,400.

My nearest Kubota dealer is 65 miles away!
Local rental place has only a 10K max trailer, which is not adequate for my L48 TLB.
I do not want to be without a trailer

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
re: is currently worth $1,000 more than I paid for it.

but.....ONLY if you sell it NOW......

when the economy swings the other way, it'll be worth $3400, so $2000 LESS than 'today's price'...

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I bought a new 14K - 20' trailer in 2017 and paid $4,400 OTD.
I have used the trailer for four meaningful trips.
If I discount my three long NS trips, because of unique circumstances, and include ONLY the ME trip, I would have only had three days of trailer rental (@ $100 per day?).

But.....here is the good news!
My trailer is stored inside, and is currently worth $1,000 more than I paid for it.
23% more than I paid, and always at my immediate disposal!
A bank would pay me .5% per annum or less, on that $4,400.

My nearest Kubota dealer is 65 miles away!
Local rental place has only a 10K max trailer, which is not adequate for my L48 TLB.
I do not want to be without a trailer
Unless you find a used deal, there are no 14,000# trailers available today for less than $6-9k. The price of steel and labor is significantly higher today compared to 5 years ago.

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
re: is currently worth $1,000 more than I paid for it.

but.....ONLY if you sell it NOW......

when the economy swings the other way, it'll be worth $3400, so $2000 LESS than 'today's price'...
It’s wishful thinking that prices will decrease in the future.