L4701 Hydraulic Fluid Level

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
A while back I had a hyd leak and took it to the dealer to have it repaired under warranty. While there I bought everything for my 50 hr service along with 2 gallons of hyd fluid. When I got home I noticed they had not topped off the hyd fluid after the repair so there went 1 gallon of hyd fluid. I topped it off to half way between the marks. I recently used it to do some discing at my property which was the first time it was used since the repair and topping off the hyd fluid. I just checked the dip stick and the level is not even on the stick anymore. I have checked everywhere and there isn't any leaks that I can find and no drips anywhere where it is stored so where did it go? This is a gear drive tranny if that matters.

Just topped it off again and it took another gallon to get it to the full mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

jbbepic

Jan 11, 2017
Pittsburgh
Id be curious to think that maybe after you ran the tractor the air or something escaped and you needed more fluid . Hopefully after you filled it up the second time thats it. Good to go!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Hard to say without knowing what the shop had to do on your machine. I do know that when all of the fluid is drained after filling the fluid has to migrate to the rears on all of the Kubotas I have owned. On my zd mowers I have to run the engine at idle for a few minutes for the fluid to get to all of the transmission. For the zd mowers I can add 2 gallons to the full mark, run it, then add a little over another gallon.
That fluid is not cheap... For a warranty repair they should have given it back topped off.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Hard to say without knowing what the shop had to do on your machine. I do know that when all of the fluid is drained after filling the fluid has to migrate to the rears on all of the Kubotas I have owned. On my zd mowers I have to run the engine at idle for a few minutes for the fluid to get to all of the transmission. For the zd mowers I can add 2 gallons to the full mark, run it, then add a little over another gallon.
That fluid is not cheap... For a warranty repair they should have given it back topped off.
They changed an O-Ring on a flanged connection at the pump. They drove it off of my trailer into their shop and back on the trailer after the repair. Didn't think to check the level while there but did when I got home and it was below the dip stick. Filled it to half way between the marks (took 1 gallon) and after using it the next time it was below the dip stick again. Put another gallon in it and it is to the top full mark now. I agree that it should have been filled before returning it to me but I just ate it so I wouldn't have to pull it 40 minutes one way back to the dealer. Lesson learned, won't happen again. If it stays full now after adding a second gallon then I am ok with it, I just hope it isn't going somewhere internally where it is not supposed to go. Below is a link to the thread when the leak occurred, you can see the location of the leak in the pics.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30357

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
8upbowhunter, I would contact the dealer. Talk to the service Mgr, at least, and let them know of your situation. They should replace the fluid you purchased. But they also need to let their techs know to complete the task. Might save someone else the grief you've been through.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
I should have called but that was over a month ago so probably too late. Engine oil level is normal.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
No, it's not too late. Just let them know you were waiting to be sure that was the only problem.

Only by folks like you letting them know of their shortcomings will they have the opportunity to improve.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
No, it's not too late. Just let them know you were waiting to be sure that was the only problem.

Only by folks like you letting them know of their shortcomings will they have the opportunity to improve.

You are correct, I will call them and let the service manager know. They may not replace my fluid but they will know they screwed up and I can always take it to another dealer for service.