L4701 HST Leaking Hydraulic Fluid

Aidan.ostrowski

Nov 18, 2023
Carpinteria, California
My L4701 HST with only 700 hours started leaking hydraulic fluid from the starter. The starter has a gasket that mounts it to the bell housing which makes me think that there is supposed to be hydraulic fluid in with the flywheel. But I am not sure. I split the tractor and replaced all gaskets and seals between the bell housing and the transmission hoping this would stop any fluid from getting into the bellhouse but when I fired it up same problem… any suggestions would be appreciated, primarily if I’m crazy for thinking there’s supposed to be hydraulic fluid in there.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My L4701 HST with only 700 hours started leaking hydraulic fluid from the starter. The starter has a gasket that mounts it to the bell housing which makes me think that there is supposed to be hydraulic fluid in with the flywheel. But I am not sure. I split the tractor and replaced all gaskets and seals between the bell housing and the transmission hoping this would stop any fluid from getting into the bellhouse but when I fired it up same problem… any suggestions would be appreciated, primarily if I’m crazy for thinking there’s supposed to be hydraulic fluid in there.
Hate to say it but.......I think you are "crazy" :cry:.... for thinking that.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
My huess is its not leaking from the starter. I would be looking further up on the engine.

Dan

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
On the older models, front axle propeller shaft seals, are the most common.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
If the hydrostatic filter is clogged could that build excess pressure in the system forcing it to leak out?
No!
The only thing that could create pressure to leak hydraulic oil into the bell housing is the breather for the trans-axle assembly being plugged. It is located next to the dipstick, below and to the Left of the seat.