L4701 How to drain reserve coolant tank.

Tom46

Equipment
Kubota L4701
Jan 4, 2024
Iowa
Hello. I have drained my radiator. I would like to drain my reserve reservoir. Not sure how to do this. Any advice or point me in right direction appreciated. Didnt see any youtube videos. Thanks

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
They have coolant system flush tools available. Flushes the entire system. Vacuum style.

Some can be had for less than $40 US.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Take it off and turn it upside down? ;)

Reactions: 4 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
On some machines, you can take the puke tank tube off of the filler neck and pull it out. Drop the end in a bucket below the tank level and it will drain out.
Or, if you have a pressure test kit, use one of the rubber plugs in the reservoir cap and pressurize it. That'll force the coolant into the radiator. Put the cap on the radiator or you'll have a mess. The same could likely be accomplished with a rag and your hand to seal the reservoir opening.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
How to get the tank off?
From the parts drawing it looks as if it lifts straight up, but possibly after releasing the two “locking” tabs . Be advised , I have no direct experience doing this, but what makes sense to me by looking at the drawing.
IMG_9108.jpeg

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Here is a cooling system "unsolicited tip"

Way back in the day I was working on a Mercury Sable? ( cant remember exact model, but it was a Ford).

Well anyway they were famous for getting an "air pocket" in the block somewhere when you serviced the cooling system, causing an overheating condition.

Supposedly you had to lift the front of the car like 20 degrees, spin around on your head 3 times, then shake a "magic chickens foot" at it, while chanting magic incantations, in order to get the air pocket out.

Or you could buy a "vacuum filler".

This tool turned out to be awesome when servicing just about any cooling system.

No spills, no waiting forever for the thermostat to open and antifreeze spilling out......

Just hook it up, draw a vacuum using shop air, then stick the tube into your antifreeze bottle and it sucks up the perfect amount of juice every time.

Never over-fills/spills and eliminates any possible air pockets that could develop, and has worked on every cooling system I have worked on to date.

(although I avoid working on cooling systems like the plague, due to the fact that getting ride of antifreeze is harder than trying to get rid of used Plutonium around here....Why is that????)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SRH5G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: 2 users

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
How to get the tank off?
You just use a dull-tipped prybar, slip it under the tank, and pry up on the back side of the bottom. It will pop right off. Do not pry up in the center of the tank, make sure you are prying under the back edge, where the mounting spade is.
The tank needs to be washed out a couple of times as there usually is sediment in it and stuck to the bottom. This is why you do not just siphon it out.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
260,000 miles on my old Ford. Nothing in the bottom of the puke tank. Never been out. If there is sediment in it, you need to flush the cooling system. A lot.
Don't over think things folks. It's just an overflow tank.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Here is a cooling system "unsolicited tip"

Way back in the day I was working on a Mercury Sable? ( cant remember exact model, but it was a Ford).

Well anyway they were famous for getting an "air pocket" in the block somewhere when you serviced the cooling system, causing an overheating condition.

Supposedly you had to lift the front of the car like 20 degrees, spin around on your head 3 times, then shake a "magic chickens foot" at it, while chanting magic incantations, in order to get the air pocket out.

Or you could buy a "vacuum filler".

This tool turned out to be awesome when servicing just about any cooling system.

No spills, no waiting forever for the thermostat to open and antifreeze spilling out......

Just hook it up, draw a vacuum using shop air, then stick the tube into your antifreeze bottle and it sucks up the perfect amount of juice every time.

Never over-fills/spills and eliminates any possible air pockets that could develop, and has worked on every cooling system I have worked on to date.

(although I avoid working on cooling systems like the plague, due to the fact that getting ride of antifreeze is harder than trying to get rid of used Plutonium around here....Why is that????)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SRH5G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$142.80 + tax, for that kit on Amazon ??
I don't think so !

Reactions: 1 user

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I don't think so !
I have this one, but it's not as industrial as the one RWS has. They can be had pretty cheaply. I think I paid about $40 for it. Inflation.....

I bought mine to install an automotive style heater on my Polaris Rzr. Similar situation as RWS. One has to lift the front end or literally hang the Polaris straight up from a tree to get all the air out.... or get one of these. On my Polaris, engine is in the rear. Radiator in the front.

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Hahahahah........And worth every penny my friend.....trust me. (y)

(BTW that link was just for demonstration purposes....it might be cheaper somewhere else);)

Edit: I just checked my Amazon account and I actually paid $8 more for it in 2017.......Still worth every penny.......:D

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have this one, but it's not as industrial as the one RWS has. They can be had pretty cheaply. I think I paid about $40 for it. Inflation.....

I bought mine to install an automotive style heater on my Polaris Rzr. Similar situation as RWS. One has to lift the front end or literally hang the Polaris straight up from a tree to get all the air out.... or get one of these. On my Polaris, engine is in the rear. Radiator in the front.
If it works, that would certainly seem to make a bit more sense, rather than the one for twice the price, as suggested in post #13.
Certainly not an item for every day use.