L4701 Engine model and series

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
Decided to jot down my engine S# on my L4701 just in case I ever needed it. Couldn't find it. Finally found something that might be it but went to the Kubota web site to make sure I was looking at the right spot and now have a headache. The number I found is 5 characters and their site says it should be 7.
I guess I have a model V2403-CR-E4 engine. I don't know what any of the numbers or letters mean.
1. Do I have a Series 05 engine?
2. Am I really getting stupider as I get older or does it just seem that way?

Justasquid

Equipment
L4240HSTC
Nov 2, 2020
Michigan
you aren’t by chance looking at the EPA label are you?

depending on your series. the Tag could be located below the exhaust manifold, below the intake manifold or on the injection pump

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Decided to jot down my engine S# on my L4701 just in case I ever needed it. Couldn't find it. Finally found something that might be it but went to the Kubota web site to make sure I was looking at the right spot and now have a headache. The number I found is 5 characters and their site says it should be 7.
I guess I have a model V2403-CR-E4 engine. I don't know what any of the numbers or letters mean.
1. Do I have a Series 05 engine?
2. Am I really getting stupider as I get older or does it just seem that way?
Here is the serial number location for an L4701.

Attachments

Bark

Equipment
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
Any thoughts on what "series" number my engine is?

Here is the serial number location for an L4701.
Thanks. The wiring harness totally blocks it. Without that illustration I would not have found it.

you aren’t by chance looking at the EPA label are you?

depending on your series. the Tag could be located below the exhaust manifold, below the intake manifold or on the injection pump
Thanks. This is what I was looking at. The Kubota web page insinuated that this was it. Left side of engine stamped on engine block under exhaust manifold.

Attachments

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
V2403-CR-E4

V=4 cylinders (first letter of the german number spelled out)
24=approximate displacement, in this case 2.4L (approx)
03=series. 03 series.
CR=common rail injection.
E4 has to do with emissions. IIRC Tier 4 in this case-but I'd have to look back in documentation and I'm too lazy to do it right now.

Reactions: 1 user

Bark

Equipment
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
V2403-CR-E4

V=4 cylinders (first letter of the german number spelled out)
LoL. Wonder why they used the German word Vier for 4. Left over from their alliance during WWII?

Thanks for the info guys.

Last edited:

Bark

Equipment
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
Main reason I wanted the engine serial number is in case it ever gets stolen. Other reason is so I can date the engine incase parts are slightly different from year to year (or sometimes month to month).

So much paint on the numbers I cant read a few of them. Spoke with the parts guy at the dealer I bought it from. Figured I would get the number from him so I could verify my best guesses. He has the serial numbers for just about everything on my tractor except for the engine serial number.
Guess if it ever becomes important I will have to try and scrape the paint off but it has become a challenge. Somebody somewhere must have information on what engine number was paired with my vin number.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
possibly original designer was german? Dunno. Or maybe they wanted to be funny. Or maybe it's just ironic. E=1 cyl. Z=two cylinder. D=three cylinder. V=4 cylinder. F=five and S=six. The S engines are the only ones I can't recall working on, only an M4000 that I put an air filter in--only one I can think of.

Gas engines are WG's. Who knows what that means. Some of the ZT mowers use KZG770 engines which Kubota didn't originally design (Subaru/Fuji/Robin did)

if ya'll look at kubota engine's website, you'll see a lot of gas burners. There's no reason that some of those can't be put in a tractor, makes the same power and in some cases MORE torque than the current diesel does. Fuel usage is a little higher though, not a big concern for hobby farmers with small properties.

Reactions: 1 user

Bark

Equipment
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
Good info, Thanks.
I scraped some of the paint off and got my engine serial number. I already had a free can of grey paint from scraping the paint off the HST to get the S# for the dealer during that recall. He was so happy for not having to come out and do it and even happier that mine wasn't part of the recall that he also threw in a couple of quarts of hyd oil.