L4630 4X4 output shaft

lourent

Equipment
Kubota L4630
Jul 9, 2019
Pretoria
Good day all, I have a two fold question please.
1) I split my tractor due to oil filled bell housing, both hydrolic and engine. I can see where the oil is coming through. Question, the 4X4 output shaft has about a quarter inch forward and backward movement, is this correct?

2) If there should be no movement, what should prevent this? What concerns me is that if the new busing is on tight and there is movement, will the busing not push out?

Sorry one more thing, I took the flywheel off and like an idiot did not check the timing marks, easy way to put this back?

Regards and thanks
Thys

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
1) I split my tractor due to oil filled bell housing, both hydrolic and engine. I can see where the oil is coming through. Question, the 4X4 output shaft has about a quarter inch forward and backward movement, is this correct?

2) If there should be no movement, what should prevent this? What concerns me is that if the new busing is on tight and there is movement, will the busing not push out?

Sorry one more thing, I took the flywheel off and like an idiot did not check the timing marks, easy way to put this back?

Regards and thanks
Thys
You need this sleeve kit to keep the bushing in place.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Regards and thanks
Thys
The flywheel will only properly go on one way (the bolt holes are spaced slightly different), hand thread all the bolts in past the shoulders of the bolts to know you've got it right, if one or more binds DO NOT tighten them, as you have the alignment wrong. ;)

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
1) ......the 4X4 output shaft has about a quarter inch forward and backward movement, is this correct? ......2) If there should be no movement, what should prevent this? .......
Sealing the L-series front drive shaft has been a recurring issue since Kubota moved it up to be included in the transmission. There have been several seal designs, with variations by tractor model and market. The diagram posted above by eserv shows a circlip retainer that isn't present on US models I've seen.

On one I recently had apart, back-and-forth shaft motion is kept quite small by the assembled clearances of the front shaft, couplings, roll pins, spacer, and o-rings. As it goes together end float should be limited.

Take care, Dick B

Last edited:

lourent

Equipment
Kubota L4630
Jul 9, 2019
Pretoria
Great thanks gents, I see the C-Clip is either not part of mine or not present. Can the Pipe (Spacer be manufactured in my home workshop?) Anyone have the dimensions?

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
When I took apart my L48, there was a spacer pipe with o-rings on each end that keeps the 2 oil seals from migrating forward. Page 3-S17 posted below from the WSM shows the original layout, but not the pipe spacer, because it wasn't added until later. On mine there was no circlip, groove, ball bearing 11, or separate collar 060.

Your shaft shouldn't move back and forth that much. For the L4630 there are 4 versions of the pipe spacer and collar(s) depending on tractor serial number and whether you have HST (see parts 030 & 060 on attached parts pages). When you order new seals and o-rings, see if the dealer can confirm the correct spacer and collar parts for your machine.

The oil seals ride on a small polished sleeve on the shaft. The sleeve is lined with rubber, needing 50lb to push along into place. Good luck - Dick B

Attachments

Last edited: