L4610 - Engine Block Heater

ClayRogers

Equipment
L4610
Nov 6, 2023
Midwest, USA
Hi guys. I am waiting to hear back from my dealer as to how much it would be for them to install an engine block heater on my Kubota L4610. I thought in the meantime, I would do some research and figure out how involved it would be to install myself.

I'm not finding much info on it though after doing some searching. Does anyone happen to know of any instructions or youtube video on how to do it? If there is instructions that are similar enough to what I have, that would work also.

Right now, I'm not even sure where on the engine it would be installed.

Thanks!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Garvini

Equipment
Kubota b26 hydraulic thumb pallet forks
Apr 4, 2022
Hingham, Massachusetts
I installed mine this summer…There are a few videos out there on it…it’s pretty easy….
That's an easy one.
Drain the coolant
Pop the freeze plug out of the block in front of the starter
Do not DRILL!, just tap one side of the plug with a punch, the plug will spin, then pull it out with pliers.
Drive in the sleeve in then install heater and refill coolant.

there is good video on the motor that’s in the l4610…I think

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I though about mentioning this but didn't. I remember a nightmare thread here where a guy decided to drill a hole in the plug to facilitate its removal to install a block heater, and ended up drilling through a cylinder...big time issue!

Wish I had a link to that sad thread. He stuck with us for the duration of his sadness...and if I remember right did get his tractor running again, after much expense in time and dollars, doing most of the work himself.

ClayRogers

Equipment
L4610
Nov 6, 2023
Midwest, USA
That's an easy one.
Drain the coolant
Pop the freeze plug out of the block in front of the starter
Do not DRILL!, just tap one side of the plug with a punch, the plug will spin, then pull it out with pliers.
Drive in the sleeve in then install heater and refill coolant.

Thanks! Is there more than one freeze plug to choose from? I'll have to look later and see if I can find the one by the starter you are referring to.

Do you need to wrap the sleeve in anything to help it seal? Or, just drive it in and it's fine being metal on metal?

ClayRogers

Equipment
L4610
Nov 6, 2023
Midwest, USA
I though about mentioning this but didn't. I remember a nightmare thread here where a guy decided to drill a hole in the plug to facilitate its removal to install a block heater, and ended up drilling through a cylinder...big time issue!

Wish I had a link to that sad thread. He stuck with us for the duration of his sadness...and if I remember right did get his tractor running again, after much expense in time and dollars, doing most of the work himself.
Oh boy, that's not the kind of story I wanted to hear! :) I'm a little nervous about doing it myself.....

6869704x4

Equipment
L45TLB, 49 8N, 57 641, RTV-X1120D, Z422
Jun 29, 2011
SE, NM
Warm oil is more slippery than cold oil. I learned that in Thailand.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Oh boy, that's not the kind of story I wanted to hear! :) I'm a little nervous about doing it myself.....
I think you can do it yourself. Just don't use a drill! LOL

Worst that can happen if you don't succeed is you will have to get the dealer to do it anyway.

Chin up and have confidence!

Remember it is not rocket science. You pop a plug out and replace it with a different plug that happens to have a heating element as part of it.

Sort of like putting a cork back in a wine bottle...I assume...I don't drink wine so don't know....beer is consumed before the need to cap anything... :ROFLMAO:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks! Is there more than one freeze plug to choose from? I'll have to look later and see if I can find the one by the starter you are referring to.

Do you need to wrap the sleeve in anything to help it seal? Or, just drive it in and it's fine being metal on metal?
There will only really be one freeze that will stick out as being super accecible.
I never really put anything on my sleeves and I've yet to have one leak.
Use a chunk of soft wood to drive it in, don't drive it in hard (no sledge action).

ClayRogers

Equipment
L4610
Nov 6, 2023
Midwest, USA

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
Attached are the instructions for the factory block heater. I installed one on my L3010 last year and it was pretty straight forward. I did use locktite on the adapter bushing and it has not leaked a drop.....

Attachments

ClayRogers

Equipment
L4610
Nov 6, 2023
Midwest, USA
Attached are the instructions for the factory block heater. I installed one on my L3010 last year and it was pretty straight forward. I did use locktite on the adapter bushing and it has not leaked a drop.....
That is really helpful, thanks! The instructions mention using loctite so it definitely seems like that would be the way to go.

ClayRogers

Equipment
L4610
Nov 6, 2023
Midwest, USA
I think you can do it yourself. Just don't use a drill! LOL

Worst that can happen if you don't succeed is you will have to get the dealer to do it anyway.

Chin up and have confidence!

Remember it is not rocket science. You pop a plug out and replace it with a different plug that happens to have a heating element as part of it.

Sort of like putting a cork back in a wine bottle...I assume...I don't drink wine so don't know....beer is consumed before the need to cap anything... :ROFLMAO:
Or, I could accidentally blow up my new to me tractor that I just spent a bunch of money on! Then, have to have the dealer not only install a engine block heater, but a replacement engine also! :cry:

Thanks to the help from you guys, it definitely seems like a project I can try. I am also getting a price for having a third function installed in the front. So, if they aren't asking for too much, I might have them do the block heater also since it has to go into the shop for the 3rd function anyway.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Or, I could accidentally blow up my new to me tractor that I just spent a bunch of money on! Then, have to have the dealer not only install a engine block heater, but a replacement engine also! :cry:

Thanks to the help from you guys, it definitely seems like a project I can try. I am also getting a price for having a third function installed in the front. So, if they aren't asking for too much, I might have them do the block heater also since it has to go into the shop for the 3rd function anyway.
I doubt you could blow up the engine trying to install a block heater...if you use common sense.

Still...the safest option is to have the dealer do it when the tractor is in there for other reasons...(y)

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I've installed block heaters in my last 2 Kubota tractors... If it were in the shop for other work, I would definitely have them do it !