L4600DT shuttle question

Bonk

Equipment
L4600, BX2370
Apr 21, 2013
Kentucky
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new L series tractor. I don't want HST and I'm considering the L4600DT over an L3800DT because what I think is a different shuttle system. As I understand it both the L3200/L3800 are pure mechanical shuttles (Stop, clutch, move shuttle lever, change directions).

Would someone please explain how the Synchro Shuttle transmission works on the L4600DT. I understand it's a manual 8 speed gearbox (actually 4 with a high/low range selector). What I can't find an answer to (searched this forum and the internet) is how the shuttle works. Is it a true hydro or is it a mechanical? Do you have to use the clutch to change directions? Do you need to come to a complete stop first?

Thanks.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
With the older gear transmissions and I do believe the news ones as well. { I could be wrong on the new } the gears are straight cut and require the clutch to change speed and direction. With a Synchro Shuttle transmission it has gears but also includes synchronizers to line up the gears when changing speed and direction for a clash free non grinding motion. You can change speed and direction without the use of the clutch. However the clutch is needed to engage the pto.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Unless you have a unique application for some reason my recommendation based on experience (currently one of each type) is go with the HST and never look back. Far far superior to GST shuttle. Also get the quick-connect loader.

If you're inclined to share, you'll find your spouse/kids will find HST so much easier to operate you may have trouble finding time to use the machine yourself.

My spouse hated our line of gear-bashers through the years but fell in love with "her" HST. She'll bushhog all day and can change implements on front in about 30-secs flat.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
The way I understand it, the new L4600DT has a fully synchronized manual trans, not a hydro shuttle. I probably would have picked the 4600DT over the 3800DT, if one was on the lot at the time. But I'm Very Happy with the 3800!

I feel the same way about HST, I wouldn't own one! The synchro shuttle on the 4600 does look very good!

Bonk

Equipment
L4600, BX2370
Apr 21, 2013
Kentucky
Thanks for the info. I've decided to go with the L4600DT. I test drove it today and I liked it a lot. The Synchro Shuttle worked great. You have to use the clutch to change directions but you don't have to come to a complete stop. It was very smooth. I'll concede the HST works and works well. I just don't like it. The noise/whine bugs the heck out of me and, frankly, there's something visceral about selecting the right gear, range and speed manually. If I made a living doing FEL work I might have a different opinion but for what I predict my needs will be I think I'll be just fine on the DT version.

An L3200 would probably work just fine and the L3800 would be just about right but I'm going with conventional wisdom and buying a tractor 1 size larger than I think I need.
I'm getting a 2013 L4600DT, 764 FEL w/quick release, bucket, 6' Land Pride brush hog, and loaded AG tires delivered for $24.8K. I think that's a fair deal.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I believe you have to go to an M Series to get the Hydraulic Shuttle, we have it on our M8540. Before that we used a Sunchro Shutte. I now use primarily an HST and Hydro-Shuttle; both have their place; I'm too old to be pushing a foot clutch all day, but did for many, many years.

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Thanks for the info. I've decided to go with the L4600DT. I test drove it today and I liked it a lot. The Synchro Shuttle worked great. You have to use the clutch to change directions but you don't have to come to a complete stop. It was very smooth. I'll concede the HST works and works well. I just don't like it. The noise/whine bugs the heck out of me and, frankly, there's something visceral about selecting the right gear, range and speed manually. If I made a living doing FEL work I might have a different opinion but for what I predict my needs will be I think I'll be just fine on the DT version.

An L3200 would probably work just fine and the L3800 would be just about right but I'm going with conventional wisdom and buying a tractor 1 size larger than I think I need.
I'm getting a 2013 L4600DT, 764 FEL w/quick release, bucket, 6' Land Pride brush hog, and loaded AG tires delivered for $24.8K. I think that's a fair deal.
Great Choice , Fine Tractor! Congrats!

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Personal preference, kind of like HST, but you might wish to consider the much better much wider R-4 tires. Unless you are doing intensive high-time soil tillage I think the true ag-type tires are an artifact of times gone by. With my R-4's I can take my Kubota backhoe (heavy!) across country literally so wet I can't walk through it without sinking---but that low ground pressure wide tire(s) just keeps on going.

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Stubbyie, I hate to disagree (probably another personal preference). But I have not found R-4 tires to be "much better" than Ag tires. I like Ag (R-1) tires better and don't do much soil tillage. I have also found Ag's to have much better traction in mud. :confused:

Bonk

Equipment
L4600, BX2370
Apr 21, 2013
Kentucky
I bought the tractor today but I have to eat a little crow. Because so many people are so adamant about HST I decided to at least check it out. Ahem......I liked it.......a lot. I bought an L4600HST but I did stick with the AG tires. Pass the ketchup please.

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I bought the tractor today but I have to eat a little crow. Because so many people are so adamant about HST I decided to at least check it out. Ahem......I liked it.......a lot. I bought an L4600HST but I did stick with the AG tires. Pass the ketchup please.
I am so sorry to hear that, but at least you got the right tires. ;) :cool:

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
A lot of us have had to set aside our preconceptions about HST's once we actually tried them. There is something very satisfying about the solid hook up of a geared tractor on a heavy load, but a lot can be said about the ease of use of an HST. We use both and like both for what they are, but given the choice I will get on our HST first if it will handle the job.

Bonk

Equipment
L4600, BX2370
Apr 21, 2013
Kentucky
The salesman I've been talking to was very low key and didn't pressure me at all. When I first went there a few weeks ago he suggested HST but since I thought I wanted/needed geared he never pushed the issue. When I went in yesterday to seal the deal I asked if he had an HST I could test drive just so I could finally put that idea to rest. I test drove it and was surprised at how much I liked it. I was afraid it would be 'soft' and unresponsive but it obviously wasn't.

What really sold me was when he asked me to hop off because he wanted to demonstrate something. He drove over to a very steep grass hill just off the parking lot. The hill was about 100 feet tall and at least 25-30 degrees. It was very steep. He drove straight up the hill and stopped halfway by simply removing his foot from the HST pedal. The tractor held and didn't move an inch. He started moving again effortlessly and drove over the top. On the way back down he did the same thing. Straight down, foot off the pedal, no brakes and the tractor just stopped and held it's position. I asked him if it would back up from there. He easily backed right up the hill. No brakes through any of this. I was amazed. Sold!

satchelh

Equipment
L2550DT
Feb 18, 2013
SW Ohio, USA
That sounds like an impressive demonstration and I believe every word of it. Hydros can be extremely handy at times, especially when dealing with hills. I own an hydrostatic garden tractor, Cub Cadet 986 to be exact, and it is extremely strong. The thing I like about my Cub is that ground speed/direction is controlled by a lever that stays where you put it instead of a pedal that returns to neutral. I hate the idea of having to keep my foot on a pedal to maintain ground speed. During FEL work or stopping/starting on hills the HST shines, but during periods of constant ground speed, I want to let the clutch out and go until I need to stop.

Another thing I consider is the maintenance aspect of an HST. It isn't major, I know, but it is much more sensitive to fluid and filter specs than a gear model and repair costs can be significantly higher. That matters to me since I like to keep stuff forever or as long as parts are readily available. I think planned obsolescence should be illegal. Believe it or not, I like crank windows and manual 4WD on pickups. Less stuff to fail and to replace.

Either way, owning a brand new Kubota is awesome and is something everyone should be proud of.

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
That sounds like an impressive demonstration and I believe every word of it. Hydros can be extremely handy at times, especially when dealing with hills. I own an hydrostatic garden tractor, Cub Cadet 986 to be exact, and it is extremely strong. The thing I like about my Cub is that ground speed/direction is controlled by a lever that stays where you put it instead of a pedal that returns to neutral. I hate the idea of having to keep my foot on a pedal to maintain ground speed. During FEL work or stopping/starting on hills the HST shines, but during periods of constant ground speed, I want to let the clutch out and go until I need to stop.

Another thing I consider is the maintenance aspect of an HST. It isn't major, I know, but it is much more sensitive to fluid and filter specs than a gear model and repair costs can be significantly higher. That matters to me since I like to keep stuff forever or as long as parts are readily available. I think planned obsolescence should be illegal. Believe it or not, I like crank windows and manual 4WD on pickups. Less stuff to fail and to replace.

Either way, owning a brand new Kubota is awesome and is something everyone should be proud of.
All of our HST tractors have cruise control, so it is no different than a gear model. I can't speak to the repair aspect as I've never had either go out yet.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
All of our HST tractors have cruise control, so it is no different than a gear model. I can't speak to the repair aspect as I've never had either go out yet.
If you ever get to replace any gears in a Kubota transmission you'll change your mind about them being cheap to fix! Two gears for a pto in a B7100 over $1200 dollars today! Plus labor to put them in

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
If you ever get to replace any gears in a Kubota transmission you'll change your mind about them being cheap to fix! Two gears for a pto in a B7100 over $1200 dollars today! Plus labor to put them in
I re read my post and didn't see anywhere I said anything about them being cheap to repair. I instead said I didn't know as I had not had one repaired. I have operated different tractors for well over 50 years and so far haven't found anything "cheap" to replace or repair, it is usually expensive or more expensive.

Bonk

Equipment
L4600, BX2370
Apr 21, 2013
Kentucky
My new tractor was delivered yesterday. I've already put 4 hours on it cutting down some fields. After using it for a few hours I'm very, very glad I got the HST. Thanks for steering me in that direction.

Here's a pic:

Attachments

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
That's a good looking tractor, good choice on HST.

I don't regret choosing the HST over the manual.