L4600 vs MX 4700

T.Curtis

Nov 10, 2013
Jesup, Ga
Hi, new here and so glad I found the forum! We are looking to purchase a new tractor. We have horses and will be moving 900-1100lb round bales of hay, as well as discing up and dragging an arena, root raking, clearing, etc.

Our farrier says he has a MX4700 2WD and that it's not heavy enough to move a bale of hay without putting an implement on the rear or it will want to tip slightly. Talked to the Kubota dealer and he's wanting to sell us a L4600 and says that it's a bit heavier as it's 4WD.

We will be using root rake, bucket, mower, disc, hole auger that I know of with the tractor. We do have a decent slope to our property.

Looking for some input on which tractor would better suit our purposes. I know the MX has a bit more PTO power, but not a whole lot and not sure we need it, but we can't afford to make a mistake and want the better tractor for the money.

Dealer will give us the L4600 with bucket for 23k.

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
Hi, new here and so glad I found the forum! We are looking to purchase a new tractor. We have horses and will be moving 900-1100lb round bales of hay, as well as discing up and dragging an arena, root raking, clearing, etc.

Our farrier says he has a MX4700 2WD and that it's not heavy enough to move a bale of hay without putting an implement on the rear or it will want to tip slightly. Talked to the Kubota dealer and he's wanting to sell us a L4600 and says that it's a bit heavier as it's 4WD.

We will be using root rake, bucket, mower, disc, hole auger that I know of with the tractor. We do have a decent slope to our property.

Looking for some input on which tractor would better suit our purposes. I know the MX has a bit more PTO power, but not a whole lot and not sure we need it, but we can't afford to make a mistake and want the better tractor for the money.

Check out their specs on the Kubota website, or the in-store brochure. The MX should have a slight advantage over the 4600. I wouldn't use any tractor FEL without 500lbs+ on the rear end. Doing so moves the CG of the machine to just behind the front wheels. Since it's the rear wheels that keep the machine upright, you want to keep your CG as far aft as possible.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Tough call, but I would prefer the heavier MX4700 and really prefer the MX5100. I agree with Botadriver, I use my L5740HSTC FEL quite a bit and always have weight on the 3PH, for mine, I prefer 1000 pounds.

Attachments

T.Curtis

Nov 10, 2013
Jesup, Ga
Thanks much. I did find an old thread that suggested the MX5100 and I will call the dealer in the am and see what he says as far as price difference, etc. I have to get my GATE card anyway so didn't plan on having whichever tractor we get delivered Friday.

Thanks for the advice BotaDriver. I suppose we can just leave the box blade on the back.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would also recommend that since your working with a sloped property get the tires loaded with ballast too!
We have really sloped property and it really helps keep the center of gravity low to the ground, and it will help with the loader too!;)
From what I've read the MX5100 is hands down a better tractor for dealing with round bales!

Last edited:

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri

Your farrier needs to be taught how to use a FEL. Counter weight Needs to be on the 3pt hitch for any loader work! Especially with these smallish tractors.

Your dealer is wrong, the MX4700 is heavier than the L4600. Both tractors will handle 1000 lbs bales with absolutely no problem.

T.Curtis

Nov 10, 2013
Jesup, Ga
I would also recommend that since your working with a sloped property get the tires loaded with ballast too!
We have really sloped property and it really helps keep the center of gravity low to the ground, and it will help with the loader too!;)
From what I've read the MX5100 is hands down a better tractor for dealing with round bales!
We had already planned on having the tires filled. Good to hear about the 5100. Not sure what the price difference is between the MX4700 and the 5100 is and that will be a factor to consider. Need to stick around 25k, give or take a bit.

Thanks!

T.Curtis

Nov 10, 2013
Jesup, Ga
Your farrier needs to be taught how to use a FEL. Counter weight Needs to be on the 3pt hitch for any loader work! Especially with these smallish tractors.

Your dealer is wrong, the MX4700 is heavier than the L4600. Both tractors will handle 1000 lbs bales with absolutely no problem.
The dealer is a guy we run barrels with...and his price beats the other Kubota dealer I called by 2k. Buttttt, I think he's just trying to clean out his lot before January. Should also qualify that farrier's MX4700 is only 2WD and the L4600 is 4WD. Not sure how much difference that makes.

Farrier bales hay with his tractor so likely has an implement on there anyway...but if it's common knowledge, I'm surprised he isn't aware of that.

Last edited:

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
The dealer is a guy we run barrels with...and his price beats the other Kubota dealer I called by 2k. Buttttt, I think he's just trying to clean out his lot before January.

Farrier bales hay with his tractor so likely has an implement on there anyway...but if it's common knowledge, I'm surprised he isn't aware of that.
Sounds like a good dealer. I see now he was comparing 2wd MX vs 4wd L... The MX will be heavier in the rear than the L4600. But either will need 3 pt counter weight.

I to am surprised your farrier made that comment. It is not common enough knowledge it seems...

T.Curtis

Nov 10, 2013
Jesup, Ga
We decided on a MX5100 with grapple, front end loader, box blade and hay spear for 27.5k. Does that sound like a decent deal? Is 4k more than the L4600 price, but we'll be getting the grapple also, so I think that pretty much makes up for the price difference.

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
We decided on a MX5100 with grapple, front end loader, box blade and hay spear for 27.5k. Does that sound like a decent deal? Is 4k more than the L4600 price, but we'll be getting the grapple also, so I think that pretty much makes up for the price difference.
That sounds like a Very Good deal!

Nice tractor also!

T.Curtis

Nov 10, 2013
Jesup, Ga
If it's 4x4 gear that is a great price! :D
Thanks! We went with the 4x4, gear driven. We will probably use the bucket a fair amount, but not enough that it will be a huge deal to not have the HTS.

We spent more money than we planned (of course!) because we got the grapple, and also the larger tractor so ended up spending about $4500 more than planned, but I figure this will be our one and only tractor purchase, so may as well get as much as we can. We have a lot of wooded area with small saplings, etc that the grapple will be very beneficial.

We wouldn't have had to buy a box blade as we have a 4' one, but that won't cover the tracks from the tractor, which I need when we drag the arena.

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Congratulations on the MX5100, it is a really nice tractor a good price.

T.Curtis

Nov 10, 2013
Jesup, Ga
Congratulations on the MX5100, it is a really nice tractor a good price.
Thanks!! WE have 2 much smaller, much older tractors now and it was just really getting old to have to roll the bale of hay off the trailer...roll it onto the forks, have to strap the bale on and hope it didn't twist, spin or fall anyhow LOL. With 14 horses, we are putting hay out fairly frequently.

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Thanks!! WE have 2 much smaller, much older tractors now and it was just really getting old to have to roll the bale of hay off the trailer...roll it onto the forks, have to strap the bale on and hope it didn't twist, spin or fall anyhow LOL. With 14 horses, we are putting hay out fairly frequently.
I can sure identify with that.

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Thanks! We went with the 4x4, gear driven. We will probably use the bucket a fair amount, but not enough that it will be a huge deal to not have the HTS.

We spent more money than we planned (of course!) because we got the grapple, and also the larger tractor so ended up spending about $4500 more than planned, but I figure this will be our one and only tractor purchase, so may as well get as much as we can. We have a lot of wooded area with small saplings, etc that the grapple will be very beneficial.

We wouldn't have had to buy a box blade as we have a 4' one, but that won't cover the tracks from the tractor, which I need when we drag the arena.
Ya did good! I wouldn't worry much about HST, I like gear drive better.:cool: