L4600 HST Steering wheel

davidnewsome01

Equipment
Kubota L4600 with a LA764 loader and a BH92 backhoe, ,
I think I may have a steering wheel problem, first I want to say
that I have only had the tractor since middle of March and not really used it much. I decided to have some chain hooks welded on the front of my bucket. While I was tramming the tractor to the welding shop I noticed that the steering wheel was going around in a circle. Not fast at all. Very slowly in a clockwise direction. It took me almost one hour to go there and one hour back. That is probably the most I have used the tractor at one time since I got it. Does anyone know if this is normal for this tractor or not? I personally don't think it should do that but not sure at all. Need advice please.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Not sure I understand the issue....

Does the steering wheel not remain "centered" in the same orientation between uses, or does it take constant steering wheel correction/movement to keep the tractor heading in a direction??

Many Kubotas have hydrostatic steering. The orientation of the steering wheel will vary with use. Not like the old days of mechanical steering on my truck, where I expected the steering wheel's center insignia/logo to be straight-up all the time when fronts are pointed straight ahead.

However, the steering rack can get internal seal leaks, and the front tires won't hold their straight-ahead position. Constant correction is necessary to follow a line-of-travel. Some guys will rebuild the steering cylinder; a few seals and/or O-rings. Others simply buy a new cylinder.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I think I may have a steering wheel problem, first I want to say
that I have only had the tractor since middle of March and not really used it much. I decided to have some chain hooks welded on the front of my bucket. While I was tramming the tractor to the welding shop I noticed that the steering wheel was going around in a circle. Not fast at all. Very slowly in a clockwise direction. It took me almost one hour to go there and one hour back. That is probably the most I have used the tractor at one time since I got it. Does anyone know if this is normal for this tractor or not? I personally don't think it should do that but not sure at all. Need advice please.
You have a bad center seal in the steering cylinder.
It's allowing fluid to flow from side to side internally, thus the steering controller is trying to make up for it. ;)