L4310 - Engine Will Not Shut Off

Archer

Equipment
Kubota L4310
Jan 11, 2022
Pennsylvania
About a year ago, I purchased a L4310 with a bucket/cab with 900 hrs. from a private individual for mainly brushhogging and some light field work. I will admit I am not a tractor expert and learned most of what I know about tractors from an old Ford 8N that I owned. When I purchased the L4310, the engine would not shut off by just turning the key to the off position so I had to use the engine stop knob to shut off the engine. Recently I noticed it is getting harder and harder to shut off. I think maybe the cable or some other part of the manual shut off is now worn. I did some research on what is the cause of the key not shutting off the tractor and everything seems to lead to a relay or electrical issue.

I want to fix the original problem of the key shutoff not working and was hoping someone of this forum may had a similar issue and guide me to what I should be looking for and possible repair solutions. Thank you.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Your tractor applies power to the stop solenoid for a short period to stop the engine. That is where the timer relay is working.

Other tractors need constant power to the solenoid so the engine can run.

Start by looking for a blown fuse..... 5 amps from memory.

Here are the relevant pages from the WSM

forum L4310 stop 1.jpg

forum L4310 stop 2.jpg

Dave

Reactions: 1 user

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Get a schematic for your tractor. You problem is probably somewhere in the fuel shut off solenoid. With older tractors you could completely shut the fuel off with the throttle. Somewhere along the line designers decided to no longer do this. The fuel now passes through a shut off solenoid which interrupts the flow of fuel when you turn off the ignition. If it doesn't turn off the fuel the tractor keeps running.

woodsy

Equipment
95 Kubota L3300DT W/FEL, 60" AgroTrend 3pt snow blower89 Arctic Cat 440 Panther
Apr 20, 2021
Maine
Which model is it ?

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
If your diagnosis confirms a defective timer relay as per Dave’s instructions, this will save you some cash. L4310 is on the list.

Archer

Equipment
Kubota L4310
Jan 11, 2022
Pennsylvania
Thank you to everyone who responded. Your comments and attachments gave me a good starting point. Thanks again!