L4240 True Third Function Installation

Paulwestski

Equipment
Kubota L4240HS R-4's
Mar 14, 2011
Amherst County, VA
Thought I'd start a new post for the update on the 3rd function install on my L4240.

Well I finally got it all installed and it is a much cleaner installation than the factory setup.

I found some space underneath the seat for the solenoid valve.
Just needed to fabricate a mounting plate for the valve.
Used a D05 open center 12v solenoid valve from Ebay.
I did locate a space saver sub-plate that is only 1.25" thick D05 pattern SAE 8 connections.

I tapped into the backhoe loop after the backhoe.

I sourced the control handle from John Deere.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/files/kubota-owning-operating/328911d1374711837-need-measurement-l4240-loader-control-joystick-parts-1-png

I cut the existing loader control handle shaft down to a more comfortable height below the offset. This also allows additional room to exit the right side of the open station.

I ran a high amperage circuit back to the left hand side of the seat. There is plenty of room to install relays there underneath the range shift console. This will also provide power for my ROPs mounted work lights.

Picked up an ignition on hot from the right hand behind the seat area. There are three connectors there for that use.

NOTE: I did install diodes on the relays to protect the low amperage switch in the control handle. There also is a lighted arming switch at the base of the loader control handle shaft mounted on the right side console.

Hose routing is along the backhoe sub frame to the front loader quick disconnect plate.
I fabricated a four hole quick disconnect plate that bolts to the factory front loader quick disconnect plate.
The hoses then run along the front loader arms using hydraulic hose clamps bolted to the provided factory loader arm mounting locations.
The slick part is where the hoses terminate at the front loader crossover tube. I borrowed one of ETAs ideas and mounted the same hose tending spring they use on their grapples.
All hoses have hose protection installed wherever possible.

The system works very well and the John Deere control handle is very comfortable.
I priced everything up and the cost would be about $600.00. I did have quite a few hydraulic fittings and quick disconnects left over from previous projects so my actual out of pocket cost was less.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I don't know how you did it, but both your links go to dead land. :(