L4060 - Recommendation for rear grass - brush cutter

muttbarker

Equipment
Kubota L4060 HST, Snowblower, FEL, Rear Blade, 60" Grapple, 6' Bush Hog, Forks
Jan 24, 2022
Oakley, Utah
Howdy, I am wondering if anyone could recommend a rear mounted cutter for grass and brush. My land is a combination of grassland, scrub and woodland and while I will leave most of it wild I do want to create some paths through the grass to make it easy to wander. Took a look at the Kubota website and was overwhelmed with the choices for cutters.

My dealer is good for nothing but taking purchase orders so I don’t even bother to ask anymore and I am hoping someone here can give me a recommendation. I figure that I am only looking to occasionally knock about 1 to 2 acres at most of wild grass.

Thanks,
Kevin

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day. I use an RCF2772 behind my MX. it does great with tall heavy wet grass, and desnse saplings / brush in young forest as well as small trees about 3”. Seems to be like Looney Toons Tasmanian devil as far as I am concerned. Takes up 10 lineal feet behind tractor so you can back into stuff pretty easily with out hitting the tractor. I am very pleased with it so far. I use to maintain around my barn as well as established and making new trails / clear cuts. It leaves a better finish than the belly mower on my B.

Attachments

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
If you want to stick with Land Pride I would choose one of the following depending on how much you want to invest in something that you might not use regularly.

RCR1272 - 569lb base weight, shear bolt standard, slip clutch optional, rubber only guard option
RCR1872 - 737lb base weight, slip clutch standard, chain guards available as an option
RCF2072 - 745lb base weight, slip clutch standard, chain guards available as an option

I have an RCR1884 and it's proven to be a very good cutter for me, but with chains front and rear, slip clutch and dual tail wheels it's not a cheap cutter.

If you're wondering what the difference is between the RCR and RCF models, it's the location of the stiffening members for the deck. They're on top of the deck with the RCR.

Last edited:

PortTackFarm

Equipment
L3560 LE (ROP's) w/ LA805 FEL, LP RCF 2072, BB2572 and WoodMaxx WM-8H
Jul 2, 2021
The Ville and The Farm (KY)
I have the RCF2072 with slip clutch and chains front and rear and I'm quite pleased with it so far. I opted for it over the RCR1272 because it was much heavier duty. The 1872 wasn't in stock so not an option.

muttbarker

Equipment
Jan 24, 2022
Oakley, Utah
Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions. Really helped me understand what I should be looking for. Now just need to see what is in stock!

Kevin

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
I run a 4' King Kutter with mine, it is for my B2410, but works really well with the L4060, but you could go to a 5' one lie this.

I have a few KK implements, 6' finish mower, many many hours on it, 5' tiller, and a few others. There is always the Woods stuff too, just depends on how much you want to spend. Doesn't have to be orange to get the job done.

muttbarker

Equipment
Jan 24, 2022
Oakley, Utah
I run a 4' King Kutter with mine, it is for my B2410, but works really well with the L4060, but you could go to a 5' one lie this.

I have a few KK implements, 6' finish mower, many many hours on it, 5' tiller, and a few others. There is always the Woods stuff too, just depends on how much you want to spend. Doesn't have to be orange to get the job done.
Thx! Will take a look at it. Appreciate the suggestion.

Kevin

Roadkill24

Equipment
Kubota L4060hst
Jun 2, 2022
Ellis County TX
Howdy, I am wondering if anyone could recommend a rear mounted cutter for grass and brush. My land is a combination of grassland, scrub and woodland and while I will leave most of it wild I do want to create some paths through the grass to make it easy to wander. Took a look at the Kubota website and was overwhelmed with the choices for cutters.

My dealer is good for nothing but taking purchase orders so I don’t even bother to ask anymore and I am hoping someone here can give me a recommendation. I figure that I am only looking to occasionally knock about 1 to 2 acres at most of wild grass.

Thanks,
Kevin
Im using a land pride 2072, it's a good fit.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
No more than you're cutting find a used 7' flail. I found one the Corp of Engineers quit using. Has dolly wheels, excellent condition, $700. Can set it down and it will mow a pasture and look like a zero turn mowed it. Set it up 8" or so and mow a field for the cattle to graze.

muttbarker

Equipment
Jan 24, 2022
Oakley, Utah
No more than you're cutting find a used 7' flail. I found one the Corp of Engineers quit using. Has dolly wheels, excellent condition, $700. Can set it down and it will mow a pasture and look like a zero turn mowed it. Set it up 8" or so and mow a field for the cattle to graze.
Thx for the suggestion - poking around as availability for anything sucks right now.

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
No kidding. Been trying to find a low priced tedder around here, those that are low need work, anything new that is reasonable it too far away. I may just bite the bullet and get the 2 YO new one that has faded paint and been sitting outside 2 years.

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C

My dealer is good for nothing but taking purchase orders so I don’t even bother to ask anymore and I am hoping someone here can give me a recommendation. I figure that I am only looking to occasionally knock about 1 to 2 acres at most of wild grass. Good luck if you read to end.

Thanks,
Kevin
Ask a mower ❓ & no two answers are the same. I dislike the rotary cut look, so I mow 6+ acres of paddock w/ a finish mower. A pre qualification is the brush greater than 3/4 " stem needs a glyphosate treatment, police up the rocks, level gophers/woodchuck holes. Equipment: M K Martin (canada) 90" finish mower, convenient to use on the lawn as well w/o changing implement. Also have, BEFCO 9'-2" C-70 finish mower for faster production. The Befco has swinging finish blades, similar to a rotary cutter that will handle brush/tall growth grasses, leave a finish cut. If you are still reading, MK Martin offers a 3 blade rotary. A hybrid if you will that offers a cleaner cut than a conventional rotary cutter. The common complaint w/ a rotary cutter is the tendency to windrow the cuttings. Dislike that look as noted. The 3 blade rotary (<7 ft) offers better cuttings distribution. Larger versions are duel or triple spindle. I cut 2 ft tall paddock grass in the spring w/ the MK Martin but only down to a 6" height. (Single pass) Follow up, few weeks later, cut reduced 4" for the balance of season. BTW, a flail mower, consumes mega hp. especially in tall forage. The flail has no mulching function, just cuts the stem @ base & leaves tall piles of grass. Just my experience, had one, sold it fast. YMMV. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users

Hatman

Equipment
2020 L4060HSTC
Jan 23, 2022
Guntersville Alabama
Thx for the suggestion - poking around as availability for anything sucks right now.
Check out Agri Supply. I bought the Coroni TM 1900 73" flail mower and it does a great job on about 5 acres! and the first time I cut it it was 3 1/2 - 4' tall and it did not leave tall piles of grass. The better flails are made in Italy. Do some research. Good luck!

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Ask a mower ❓ & no two answers are the same. I dislike the rotary cut look, so I mow 6+ acres of paddock w/ a finish mower. A pre qualification is the brush greater than 3/4 " stem needs a glyphosate treatment, police up the rocks, level gophers/woodchuck holes. Equipment: M K Martin (canada) 90" finish mower, convenient to use on the lawn as well w/o changing implement. Also have, BEFCO 9'-2" C-70 finish mower for faster production. The Befco has swinging finish blades, similar to a rotary cutter that will handle brush/tall growth grasses, leave a finish cut. If you are still reading, MK Martin offers a 3 blade rotary. A hybrid if you will that offers a cleaner cut than a conventional rotary cutter. The common complaint w/ a rotary cutter is the tendency to windrow the cuttings. Dislike that look as noted. The 3 blade rotary (<7 ft) offers better cuttings distribution. Larger versions are duel or triple spindle. I cut 2 ft tall paddock grass in the spring w/ the MK Martin but only down to a 6" height. (Single pass) Follow up, few weeks later, cut reduced 4" for the balance of season. BTW, a flail mower, consumes mega hp. especially in tall forage. The flail has no mulching function, just cuts the stem @ base & leaves tall piles of grass. Just my experience, had one, sold it fast. YMMV. Good luck.
You would hate to see me mow my yard.... looks like I'm making hay this year..lol

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
Something to look at while you are shopping for 3pt mowers. Check the minimum cut height. I have a heavy duty 72" rotary cutter that set at the minimum height will leave 7" of grass. A 60" will cut to about 4" based on my Land Pride RCR 2060. For foot paths I like shorter grass.

Last edited:

dgtvrpepair

Equipment
L4760HSTC RTV-X1100c ZD1211L-72
Feb 10, 2020
Morrilton AR United States
A flail mower will do wonders if you can find a used one in your area. They lay all the cut material down spread out directly behind cutter. I have a flail mower and a rotary cutter. I never use the rotary cutter anymore.

ScottHam

Equipment
Kubota L3560HST-LE 4WD; R4 tires; Armstrong Ag BRG-mini grapple; 1272 box blade
Jul 9, 2022
Texas Hill Country
Thinking about a rotary cutter for my L3560 -- which do you think is the better option between a 5' and a 6'? Seems like most 6' models I have seen recommend 40+hp. I will likely only cut a couple times per year, and there is no need to cut wet grass....here in the Texas hill country things do not stay wet for long. My ground is rocky and uneven, and only ~10 acres of my property is flat enough to mow. Thanks.

ScottHam

Equipment
Kubota L3560HST-LE 4WD; R4 tires; Armstrong Ag BRG-mini grapple; 1272 box blade
Jul 9, 2022
Texas Hill Country
Thank you. I had not heard of Frontier -- I will look into it. I did a little research this morning comparing 5' cutters -- Landpride RCF2060, Rhino TW 15 and TW 25, Bad Boy 5', and Bush Hog BH215. Just based on specs, I am surprisingly impressed with the Bad Boy given its blade speed, 10 guage steel and slip clutch coming in at 718 lbs. (And apparently I can order one to pick up at my local TSC store). Do you guys have any thoughts regarding Bad Boy rotary cutters? Thanks.