L4060 pulling disc harrows

bsd

Equipment
L4060HST-LE, IH S300 ('55)
Jan 18, 2022
I realize my tires and traction will account for a large portion of the answer

I have a 12 acre field that I've been leasing out to be farmed. This year I want to convert to pasture.

The farmer presently has field corn, not an ideal crop to convert from, but I'm 65yo, so I can't wait another year of rotation to have beans, then wheat before conversion, I have to do it now. We want critters than need pasture.

So, I've been advised to get out asap and run disc harrows to cut up the corn and then plow to turn the corn into the soil.

Since this is theoretically a one-off operation, I'm inclined to rent or hire help with a larger tractor, harrows, plow and just write a check.

But, I was wondering could my L4060 do the work? Granted the DH will not be 26' wide, but maybe 8'

Any references?

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I believe you would be looking more at a 6ft disc harrow vs 8ft or larger. A 6ft harrow, you should be able to pull it at 4 to 5 mph. I think a larger harrow with 40hp tractor and R4s will struggle.

Is it better to hire out the job? It depends, how much time do you have, how much is the cost to have it hired out? Almost any problem can be solved with money, the question is how much money.

PS-if you look at LandPride, I believe the have an implement matched chart, actually here is a link to it

Reactions: 1 users

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
My 40hp Massey on R1's had all it wanted with a 7ft disk, so a 6ft would be good. It also depends on the ground. wet clay vs dry sand.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You may want to get it leveled with a land plane to knock down the furrows before you get grass growing on it.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If it is a one time thing,, get someone to level it out and disk it, and then you know it is done and you dont have to worry. Wish I was 65 again !

Reactions: 1 user

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
If me I would do it myself.

Your tractor is capable of making the work with the right equipment. Would need to know soil type but 5'harrow (+/-) depending on soil conditions is realistic followed by a 18" plow. If me multiple passes with a 5' disc is what I would do and forget about the harrow/plow recommendation.

Other questions are :
- do you have the time(I'm retired so for me I can make tractor work all day and almost all night, rinse and repeat all week long).
- do you have the equipment already. If you have to buy or rent for a single use it can get expensive fast.
- do you have a local (like a guy like me) who makes work in the area for next to nothing. Often feed me and I am happy to put in a full day. What would their cost be versus your time + equipment cost.

Cheers and sounds like a very doable project.

bsd

Equipment
Jan 18, 2022
If it is a one time thing,, get someone to level it out and disk it, and then you know it is done and you dont have to worry. Wish I was 65 again !
I have a land plane, that I just bought to level my driveway. I was told disc then plow. And you're saying follow that up with planing?

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I have a land plane, that I just bought to level my driveway. I was told disc then plow. And you're saying follow that up with planing?
If you plow it you’ll have furrows probably. Drive across your field and you will have to go slow even on a tractor. A land plane will make it flat.

Can you drive across the field today and see what you think about doing that to deliver feed or hay or to mow the fields?

It is your call on what you want to do really, we just give thoughts for you to evaluate.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
bsd , Im sorry my mind goes faster than my fingers can mash the keys,,, Yes have someone come and disk it, in both directions if you can, and then if it is not to your liking then run your land plane over it. And if I may ask what kind of critters are you planning to put there?

bsd

Equipment
Jan 18, 2022
It is your call on what you want to do really, we just give thoughts for you to evaluate.
That applies to nearly everything one reads online
Life's an on the job learning experience, and now I'm learning very basic farming.

Right now the land is close to flat, not perfect though. It looks like a field looks after field corn has been harvested. It's very messy with stalks, cobs, detritus. I'm in SE Michigan, flat.

I can afford to buy a used, larger tractor, but if this truly a one-off and then going forward I'll be doing general haywork, then I think the L4060 will be good enough.

The farmer who has been leasing was given exceptionally low lease rates, and he has the equipment, so I expect he'll either loan me the equipment, or just do it for me, likely the former.

He says my field is too wet for Alfalfa so I'm trying to find someone who can install some tile for me.
Any suggestions for tile installers willing to travel, I've got 10 acres adjacent to ag drain ditch, quick one-two day job.

bsd

Equipment
Jan 18, 2022
bsd , Im sorry my mind goes faster than my fingers can mash the keys,,, Yes have someone come and disk it, in both directions if you can, and then if it is not to your liking then run your land plane over it. And if I may ask what kind of critters are you planning to put there?
Donkeys, horses, goats, with maybe after each..
Changing my name to Traps

• Haha

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day. Have you reached out to your extension service / farm sercice / usda / etc. (if you have wooded acreage don’t forget the state forester). Typically they are a wealth of knowledge and very helpful. I’d try the extension service first assuming you have those in your area. I’d start there and I bet they can give you some ideas, put you in contact with correct office or some service providers and maybe even share some idea on funds / grants that might be available to you. I am not sure what resources are available in your area, but at least in Ohio, you can simply give em a call and they will come to your property walk it over with you and make some assessment /share some thought…it’s been very helpful in my experience. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users

bsd

Equipment
Jan 18, 2022
Good day. Have you reached out to your extension service / farm sercice / usda / etc. (if you have wooded acreage don’t forget the state forester). Typically they are a wealth of knowledge and very helpful. I’d try the extension service first assuming you have those in your area. I’d start there and I bet they can give you some ideas, put you in contact with correct office or some service providers and maybe even share some idea on funds / grants that might be available to you. I am not sure what resources are available in your area, but at least in Ohio, you can simply give em a call and they will come to your property walk it over with you and make some assessment /share some thought…it’s been very helpful in my experience. Good luck.
Thank you, I'll have to take a look and see what we have in Michigan.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Donkeys, horses, goats, with maybe after each..
Changing my name to Traps
If you're doing it for entertainment, get a couple of miniature donkeys. They're the most fun.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

jimr63

Equipment
M5-091HDC, L47TLB, L4701F, ZD1211-72, GR2120-54, RTV-X1140
Jun 24, 2015
SOMD
I wouldn’t disc before plowing. I run a bush hog over stalks to chop them up in the fall then chisel plow it all under. Then I don’t disc until spring and it usually takes me 3 passes with a disc and using a drag harrow behind disc on last pass to create a good seed bed for whatever I’m planting in spring. I also run a cultipacker behind any planters or drills that don't have firming wheels built into them. If I wanted to plant winter wheat or grass I’d skip doing any kind of plowing. Mostly because running over plowed ground that hasn’t settled down from a good winter is rough on your body (if you can manage to tolerate it at all) while going 4-5 mph, which is the speed you’ll need to be for the disc to do it’s job.

p.s. You can skip the bush hog if they used a chopping head on the combine. My JD6620 doesn’t have the HP to run one so I have to bush hog.

p.p.s. It was all my M5-091 wanted to do pulling a 14' tandem heavy disc in sandy loam before I fixed the Tier 4 issues. ;)

Last edited:

bsd

Equipment
Jan 18, 2022
If you're doing it for entertainment, get a couple of miniature donkeys. They're the most fun.
That's current work in progress, just picked nice, used, run-in for mini donkeys.
Presently searching for clean, healthy, affordable mini donkeys.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
That's current work in progress, just picked nice, used, run-in for mini donkeys.
Presently searching for clean, healthy, affordable mini donkeys.
There may be some sort of “donkey rescue” that may have animals that need a home.

Here in Texas there is usually some rescue organization that is willing to evaluate your situation and help you get the animals into a safe place.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That applies to nearly everything one reads online
Life's an on the job learning experience, and now I'm learning very basic farming.

Right now the land is close to flat, not perfect though. It looks like a field looks after field corn has been harvested. It's very messy with stalks, cobs, detritus. I'm in SE Michigan, flat.

I can afford to buy a used, larger tractor, but if this truly a one-off and then going forward I'll be doing general haywork, then I think the L4060 will be good enough.

The farmer who has been leasing was given exceptionally low lease rates, and he has the equipment, so I expect he'll either loan me the equipment, or just do it for me, likely the former.

He says my field is too wet for Alfalfa so I'm trying to find someone who can install some tile for me.
Any suggestions for tile installers willing to travel, I've got 10 acres adjacent to ag drain ditch, quick one-two day job.
You don't want alfalfa for a pasture, it won't last 1/2 a year.
You want grass for a pasture, it will recover quicker.
You also don't want them on it for a couple years to let it get established.
And when you do rotate the time they are on a section.
And pull them off of it before it starts to get blighted or muddy!

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
There may be some sort of “donkey rescue” that may have animals that need a home.

Here in Texas there is usually some rescue organization that is willing to evaluate your situation and help you get the animals into a safe place.
I was introduced to the mini donkeys, along with a bunch of other animals, while volunteering at a horse rescue near my home in west Tenn. They had the friendliest 'personalities' and I had to laugh when they brayed about two octaves high.

I would just advise bsd to make sure they have adequate shelter. These small animals may be more sensitive to cold than the full size equivalent, I'm not sure.