L3901, top and tilt, and QH-15: trying to configure the hoses, still.. argh!

icehorse

Equipment
L3901, FEL, box blade, tedder rake, mini round baler, rotary cutter
Aug 10, 2022
I'm really struggling to configure / align the TnT hoses in such a way that the QH-15 doesn't run into them as I raise and lower the 3-point, and as I use the TnT. (I've tried several different approaches using 90 degree and 135 degree fittings and various length hoses.)

A few assumptions I'm making that might be incorrect:

- As I move the Qh-15 thru space in 3 dimensions, I don't want it to ever contact the hoses directly?
- It seems like as the Qh-15 moves around, the hoses should be aligned so that as they bend, they put minimum lateral stress on the fittings?

The plate that holds the two sets of hydraulic fittings is currently facing straight back. I'm kind of thinking that maybe this plate might be better if it was facing sideways towards the opposite back tire? That way the hoses could also be aligned sideways, and always be in front of the qh-15?

Has anyone got a good solution, maybe attach a picture?

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You can safely have the hoses hit the QH as long as they don't get pinched or put them in a bind.
If the are rubbing just add a protector sleeve.

icehorse

Equipment
Aug 10, 2022
You can safely have the hoses hit the QH as long as they don't get pinched or put them in a bind.
If the are rubbing just add a protector sleeve.
When I raise the 3-pt to the top, the QH shifts the hoses up quite a bit, and it feels like it's torquing the fittings.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You would want to use the least amount of fittings at the cylinder, perfect would be the hoses right to the cylinders.
If you need to use fittings, you need to secure the hoses so they do not work the fittings.
A loop in a hose is a much better option than a couple of 90` fittings.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
I'm really struggling to configure / align the TnT hoses in such a way that the QH-15 doesn't run into them as I raise and lower the 3-point, and as I use the TnT. (I've tried several different approaches using 90 degree and 135 degree fittings and various length hoses.)

A few assumptions I'm making that might be incorrect:

- As I move the Qh-15 thru space in 3 dimensions, I don't want it to ever contact the hoses directly?
- It seems like as the Qh-15 moves around, the hoses should be aligned so that as they bend, they put minimum lateral stress on the fittings?

The plate that holds the two sets of hydraulic fittings is currently facing straight back. I'm kind of thinking that maybe this plate might be better if it was facing sideways towards the opposite back tire? That way the hoses could also be aligned sideways, and always be in front of the qh-15?

Has anyone got a good solution, maybe attach a picture?

Thanks!
A picture or pictures will most definitely help. ;)

icehorse

Equipment
Aug 10, 2022
A picture or pictures will most definitely help. ;)
I found a video online and took a picture:

Tnt-video1.jpeg

This solution looks better than the one I have. Does it look good to you guys?

One thing I notice is that, on the right side, the hoses for the toplink are tucked between the other hoses. This seems like an important detail. the toplink hoses will travel the most up and down, and in this picture it seems like their interaction with the other two hoses should be minimal / okay.

The other thing I notice is that none of the hoses go too far to the rear, so they shouldn't touch the QH at all.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
The thing is, isn't your l3901 different? That picture is of a Grand L model Aren't your couplers on-in a mount connected to the roll bar?

I have seen this exact coupler mount, mounted 6 different ways from being on the outside of the ROPS to being horizontal instead of vertical.

A picture of "your" set would be the best to give you the best description of what to do for "your" situation.

Attachments

icehorse

Equipment
Aug 10, 2022
A picture of "your" set would be the best to give you the best description of what to do for "your" situation.
Here's a picture of my latest attempt (I'm not happy with this one):

new-hoses.jpg

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
To start with, it looks like your hoses are to long, but not really a problem, these can be worked with.

Put 90s at all four of the coupler ends.

If your top link has different length hoses, use the longer hose to go to the port at the base end of the cylinder. (tractor end)

Play with the 90s on the top link ports. I would point both of the 90s to the left side and towards each other. How far towards each other (45*, 60* ?) will depend on how the hoses react while in up-down motion.
This really needs to be checked several times to get the hoses in the best possible location.

You may find that zip tying the hoses together at 2-3 different locations from the coupler ends down may help. This applies to both the top & side links.

Good luck, please report back with pictures. :)(y)

icehorse

Equipment
Aug 10, 2022
Hey Dan and MVR,

I was thinking that the hoses for the top link should be on the long side because they can move over a wide vertical range. But I do agree that the hoses for the tilt could be shorter.

MVR said "Put 90s at all four of the coupler ends." Sorry to be slow here, but where exactly, in other words, what do you mean by "coupler ends"? Do you mean where the hoses click into the plate?

thanks!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hey Dan and MVR,

I was thinking that the hoses for the top link should be on the long side because they can move over a wide vertical range. But I do agree that the hoses for the tilt could be shorter.

MVR said "Put 90s at all four of the coupler ends." Sorry to be slow here, but where exactly, in other words, what do you mean by "coupler ends"? Do you mean where the hoses click into the plate?

thanks!
This is the coupler end:
1675572444013.png

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
What they mean is at the end of the hose that attaches to the tractor you have a straight adapter from hose to coupler half.
Remove the straight adapter and replace it with a 90 degree adapter.

then the hose will run across the tractor from right to left instead of going out towards the rear.

icehorse

Equipment
Aug 10, 2022
What they mean is at the end of the hose that attaches to the tractor you have a straight adapter from hose to coupler half.
Remove the straight adapter and replace it with a 90 degree adapter.

then the hose will run across the tractor from right to left instead of going out towards the rear.
Thanks for confirming. In the picture above, you can see that 1 of the 4 hoses already has a 90 adapter, so the advice is to get 3 more of those.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Thanks for confirming. In the picture above, you can see that 1 of the 4 hoses already has a 90 adapter, so the advice is to get 3 more of those.
Correct, then spend 15-30 minutes figuring what 90* angle works best at the cylinder ends.

And there are times, not always, but sometimes when zip tying the hoses together helps out keeping the hoses how you want them.

The photo is an example, not of your tractor, just an example how zip ties can help.

Attachments

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
l also think they sell short and long 90 degree elbows that can help you space the hose also. The ends of the hoses can also have the 90 degree instead of the fitting.

examples below

good luck

icehorse

Equipment
Aug 10, 2022
Ok, I think I've got it. I'm going to use this setup for a while, and if it looks good, I'll post a picture of my so-called "solution".

many thanks for all the suggestions!