L3901 Red flags or not?

Fetz

Jan 22, 2024
Central IL
Hi everyone, brand new to the forum, and to tractors. I have never owned, or operated one. Just bought 16 acres in central IL. It's mostly pasture, with some timber and a creek. The tractor will be used for some mowing, but we really only intend to keep about a half an acre around the house mowed which I can do with a push mower. the rest will either be hay/pasture or replanted as prairie. Other projects will include food plots, an orchard, driveway grading, occasional snow plowing and potentially hay cutting and baling with a mini baler, and the usual dirt/landscaping work. I have kind of settled in to either a B or L series.

This John Deere dealer near me has a used L3901 with 681 hrs for $16,900. This seems like a good bargain, except theres quite a bit of cosmetic damage. I don't mind appearances but both tail lights are busted, the radiator screens on the side are bent or missing, it looks like there's some dents on the hood, and it all adds up to me thinking there may be some problems I wouldn't even recognize and this tractor has probably not been treated well.

Is this a fair deal? Good/bad idea?

I'm also open to suggestions about looking at a different tractor model. Just seems like the 3901 is not all that much more expensive than a B2601.
1705946591412.png
1705947480074.png
1705947517748.png
1705947560363.png
1705947585093.png

Attachments

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Damage looks mainly cosmetic. How do all the fluids look? They should all be topped off and being 181 hrs past the 500hr service, I would expect them to be clean with the exception of engine oil. Look at the fuel filter for sediment/water. How does it run/start in the cold? Is the FEL in good shape? Not bent or twisted? Bucket welds good? Can you attach a 3pt accessory and check that rear hydraulics? She pull good in all ranges? 4wd work? Brakes hold? Any leaks on the engine or any other seals? Can you tell if it has been lubed? Personally I would ask for a few off to replace the damaged/missing/broken parts. If it checks out, I would not be opposed to those few items.
I bought my B3200 used with around 180hrs and she has served me well.

Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hi everyone, brand new to the forum, and to tractors. I have never owned, or operated one. Just bought 16 acres in central IL. It's mostly pasture, with some timber and a creek. The tractor will be used for some mowing, but we really only intend to keep about a half an acre around the house mowed which I can do with a push mower. the rest will either be hay/pasture or replanted as prairie. Other projects will include food plots, an orchard, driveway grading, occasional snow plowing and potentially hay cutting and baling with a mini baler, and the usual dirt/landscaping work. I have kind of settled in to either a B or L series.

This John Deere dealer near me has a used L3901 with 681 hrs for $16,900. This seems like a good bargain, except theres quite a bit of cosmetic damage. I don't mind appearances but both tail lights are busted, the radiator screens on the side are bent or missing, it looks like there's some dents on the hood, and it all adds up to me thinking there may be some problems I wouldn't even recognize and this tractor has probably not been treated well.

I'm also open to suggestions about looking at a different tractor model. Just seems like the 3901 is not all that much more expensive than a B2601.
View attachment 120837 View attachment 120838 View attachment 120839 View attachment 120840 View attachment 120841
I hope that I don't burst your bubble on this, but.......I would consider a machine looking like that to have been neglected!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

A new L3902HST similarly equipped is around $33k. You can get decent financing from Kubota, it'll come with a 2 year warranty, it won't have been abused, you'll know its history etc. This one does look abused so I'd be reluctant to spend that much on a tractor that could be a problem.

It's hard to figure out how or why that tractor is in the shape it's in. What the heck was the original owner doing with it. Perhaps it was a repo and the owner messed with it when they knew it was going back.

Reactions: 1 users

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
just a couple of other things..

fluids and filters: Fluid check has already been mentioned but also check the filters. have they been changed or are they the originals from factory? Originals often painted grey and rubber gaskets painted over when the block was painted at the factory with filters installed. If not I would worry but looks rhs engine has been changed so did the mechanic write date of change on it?

Unhook and remove front bucket. is the ssqa attach easily or are the loader arms "tweaked? if tweaked it will be hard to remove and not align nicely when you try to reconnect. pad timings will be off.

try a forced regen on it as well to give some comfort that the dpf system working as it should.

thinking with the body damage it could have been a rental?

Reactions: 3 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
If money was no object I would undoubtedly be looking at new tractors. Unfortunately that's well out of our budget. We'd really like to stay in the $20k range.
I get that. Not sure if your local Kubota dealer could run the serial number on the tractor and give you some idea of its history.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Damage looks mainly cosmetic. How do all the fluids look? They should all be topped off and being 181 hrs past the 500hr service, I would expect them to be clean with the exception of engine oil. Look at the fuel filter for sediment/water. How does it run/start in the cold? Is the FEL in good shape? Not bent or twisted? Bucket welds good? Can you attach a 3pt accessory and check that rear hydraulics? She pull good in all ranges? 4wd work? Brakes hold? Any leaks on the engine or any other seals? Can you tell if it has been lubed? Personally I would ask for a few off to replace the damaged/missing/broken parts. If it checks out, I would not be opposed to those few items.
I bought my B3200 used with around 180hrs and she has served me well.
I think @johnjk and @MapleLeafFarmer have the approach I’d go with, given your $20k budget and proposed usage.

Indeed the operator was a bit sloppy with all the cosmetic damage. If the rest of the tractor matches that treatment, I’d pass. But if it passes the inspections mention above, I’d seriously consider it. Sometimes folk have the poor operators use their equipment, sometimes that shows up as cosmetic damage, but it can also show up overall in the machine’s mechanical condition, as well which is probably fairly termed “abuse”.

I purchase most of my cars and trucks used. I do like to start with the newest and nicest condition units I can locate, but I’m not afraid of buying knowing I’ll need to address cosmetic issues (if that’s important to me for that rig). I’ll spend more time inspecting the rig including crawling under it (I bring cardboard), than test driving it. I won’t even test drive it if it doesn’t pass my inspection. Once I buy, I usually start with personally changing all fluids on a used vehicle so I have a 100% known baseline. It’s a good chance to spend quality time under the rig making sure I haven’t missed anything obvious, and if I have, adding it to the to do list.

Good luck in your search.

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio

View attachment 120837 View attachment 120838 View attachment 120839 View attachment 120840 View attachment 120841
Welcome to the forum. Happy shopping!

I agree with the others above…I think they are shooting you straight…a couple more thoughts:

1. Do you want a tractor with warranty and or KTAC? Get what you want.

2. Are you able to do without for first year of your new place? If so it might be helpful until you know the place better to imagine future jobs you would want to do.

3. If shopping / pricing I’d recommend also consider an MX…price may surprise you how much you can get between different models…MX may give you more capability and future opportunity to grow and just buy once. Yes I am biased, but MX is good value for the size and capability. I am also recommending that as with 16 acres you can easily grow out of a B depending on what you plan to do.

4. Regarding the machine in the pics, honestly without understanding if there is anything functionally wrong it’s hard to say much about it other than it’s missing some paint a rear light and cover the engine room…none of that suggests it’s is not function correct. Personally I’d be worried about what’s going on in the engine room with the battery and radiator if missing a cover…that could be a surprise in there or maybe not.

Would the JD dealer that has it let you take it to a Kubota dealer to check get an estimate to fix it before you make an offer? If they would allow that, I’d ask the Kubota dealer to quote like you have KTAC and want everything fixed and see what that may cost and then consider it’s a good price or great price. Personally this is where I would really consider item number 1. I think the trouble is really you may not know what needs repaired, if anything beyond the cosmetic stuff…and that could quickly become a money pit. But from the pictures it’s hard to say. If you want a warranty walk away IMO.

5. For any of those haying tasks you might be thinking about I’d think about what those implements would need to run them.

Those are my thoughts. Good luck and keep us posted. 🥃

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
OP, by the way, my experience with small acreage haying is it will cost you much much more to do yourself than to hire it out. If you can find anyone will to mess with such a little bit of hay. Buying hay is an economical option to putting it up yourself, especially if you need to buy or rent the equipment to do it. If all your doing is maintaining the pasture and not feeding animals, a brush hog (rotary cutter) 5 or 6 ft for an L3901, depending how dense, wet the grass is and how fast you want to cut, is going to be a good choice if you have a tractor to run it.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Would the JD dealer that has it let you take it to a Kubota dealer to check get an estimate to fix it before you make an offer? If they would allow that, I’d ask the Kubota dealer to quote like you have KTAC and want everything fixed and see what that may cost and then consider it’s a good price or great price. Personally this is where I would really consider item number 1. I think the trouble is really you may not know what needs repaired, if anything beyond the cosmetic stuff…and that could quickly become a money pit. But from the pictures it’s hard to say. If you want a warranty walk away IMO.
Good thoughts there! Does anyone else think the rear tires look very worn? Might have seen snow removal duty (exposed to salt) with the corrosion on the back end.

Last edited:

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I think you can do better in the under $20,000 range. Check Facebook marketplace. Look for the L3901 specifically. I think that model will be perfect for your stated tasks. If the previous owner of that tractor abused the outside goodness knows how the innards may have been abused.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Is there a decal on the tractor showing who sold it originally? If not I'd ask the selling dealer to allow you to contact the one who traded it in. If that information is unknown or not allowed I'd pass. Get the facts from the one who traded it in, what service was done, who did it, what he disliked about it, etc.

You mention 16 acres which includes half acre around the home, food plots, orchard and driveway. You're quickly cutting back on some chores, but the consideration of haying with a mini baler must be a task to feed the wife's horses! As someone else mentioned I'd use the funds for the mini baler for the tractor and buy hay. When one considers the equipment, time and labor to get hay off the field in a timely fashion you better make sure you love doing it, or buy older bigger equipment just for haying!

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
As long as she runs good, "Low ball" at $14500, don't be afraid what the people who want a pretty tractor say, cause it looks very cosmetic, if your working a tractor it is not going to be pretty for long.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
so... look online and price up the 'cosmetic' stuff, double it, offer dealer asking minus that amount, all in.
Wonder how old the tractor is. 680 hrs it could be 3 years old ??
BTW decals come off when you power wash ,fact of life.I'm missing about 1/2 of them off the BX23S.
Overall to me looks fine, $15K allin is what I'd offer, providing mechanicals were good.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I bought a BX that was cosmetically awful. Every panel damaged, both headlights broken, both taillights broken etc.

It had been owned by a company, they'd clearly let the apprentice drive it. But all the servicing had been done so far as I can tell, and it ran perfectly fine.

Cosmetic damage like that can be a consequence of letting the kids drive it, backing into something, or using a grapple on the front end. The bigger question is whether it's been serviced well, or whether it's been abused. The cosmetic damage tells you a bit, but not everything. My B has quite a lot of scratches on the hood - doesn't mean I abuse it, means I gave up trying to stop those scratches when I fuel it and when I mow.

Outnumbered

Equipment
Kubota L3901, FEL, BB1260, RCF2060, FDR2572, Titan Forks, Caryall, 5' Tiller
Oct 26, 2019
Moseley, VA
I purchased my 3901 used with about 300 hrs on it and could not be happier. In late 2018 I paid close to what they are asking for this one the only exception was mine had a box blade and a few other goodies to go with it. Mine had only minor scratches and the previous owner explained that the hood had been replaced under the KTAC insurance as he had picked up a medium side log that rolled back onto the hood. Other than that I would consider normal wear for the 300 hours. I have over 750 hours on it now and could not be happier. Great machine for cutting and general maintenance around the old farm place I have been cleaning up.

Pictures can be misleading but it looks like the hood may have already been replaced as it seems much brighter than the cover over the instrument cluster. I would open the hood and give it a good look underneath to make sure there is no damage to the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) etc. as that is very expensive to replace down the road. If the hood was replaced and is that beat up that bad again it would be a bit of a flag to me that it was handled very roughly at best. Like others said, if you can run it, check the fluids and filters to see if they have even been changed it may serve you well. It is a bit of a gamble that only you can determine if it is worth the risk. Best of luck whither way you go!

Last edited:

DVR

Premium Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5400, L3560LE, L3301. KX033-4
May 8, 2020
Columbia, SC
OP where are you located?
I have a very nice JD 3032E, hydro, R4's, 340hrs, JD quick attach FEL, in good condition with a frontier bush hog with slip clutch pto. New battery and oil/filter done today.
Located in SC.
Search Columbia, SC CL farm and garden if you 'd like to see pics.
I'm negotiable and under your budget to begin with.

Above has been sold

Regardless, I'd pass on that tractor.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
OP where are you located?
I have a very nice JD 3032E, hydro, R4's, 340hrs, JD quick attach FEL, in good condition with a frontier bush hog with slip clutch pto. New battery and oil/filter done today.
Located in SC.
Search Columbia, SC CL farm and garden if you 'd like to see pics.
I'm negotiable and under your budget to begin with.

Regardless, I'd pass on that tractor.
From his Avatar, the OP is in: Central Illinois.