L3901 Pink Coolant

davedherod609

Equipment
L3901
Nov 27, 2021
Missouri
Hi all. First time post here. I've read through several posts trying to locate an answer to the type of coolant needed for my Kubota L3901. I just need to add coolant to the reservoir as it's below the "Low" line. My manual does not specify what type of coolant (I found pink coolant - Zerex Fully Formulated HD Pink and was wondering if anyone knew if that would work. Thanks!

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
My manual says green coolant.

Disclaimer: Different model tractor but model year 2020.
Never seen a post on here stating anything but green.

dmbjohn

Equipment
Kubota B2650HSDC FEL60"SSQA ,LP 60" BB, HLA 42" forks, Ingersoll 4118 snowblower
Apr 8, 2017
New Era, MI
Double check the manual if you have one.

the jug of kubota antifreeze i have says it meets D-3306 standards.

I can tell you even if it is compatible pink and green mixed will look funky.

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
Green: ethylene glycol
Pink: propylene glycol
GM vehicles use the pink.
I haven't confirmed, but heard it's not good to mix the two.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Green: ethylene glycol
Pink: propylene glycol
GM vehicles use the pink.
I haven't confirmed, but heard it's not good to mix the two.
First color is not a reliable indicator of the chemical makeup of the coolant. If you are lucky the label will specify the particulars but even that can be iffy.

Propylene glycol can be added to ethylene glycol but doing so will raise the freezing point of the mix. Propylene glycol is also less effective in transferring heat. The main advantage of propylene glycol is it is far less toxic to animals.

Kubota specifies the use of ethylene glycol extended life (5yr/150K miles) coolant (HOAT/OAT) in their equipment. It does not matter what color it is. Personally I have been using Prestone Corgard ELC which is yellow. I also have some Peak ELC on the shelf which is blue. Old style IAT coolant (almost always dyed green) should be avoided.

Edit: I forgot to mention the Delo ELC I purchased last year. Chevron bills it as a CAT EC-1 compliant coolant and it is dyed red. It is a silicate free ethylene glycol coolant formulated using Nitrited Organic Acid Technology (NOAT). Claimed service life is 15,000 hours or 8 years.

Dan

Last edited: