L3901 engine powers down, stalls after running a short time

Thon

Equipment
L3901
Oct 8, 2021
Florida USA
The tractor was running with a bushbull mower for a couple hours before it powered down and stalled the first time (PTO was engaged). Temperature gauge read normal. Fuel tank had just been refilled. The air intakes on the front were fairly clogged with debris, so that and the radiators were cleaned off. PTO was disengaged. The tractor would then start ok but only run 30 seconds to a minute before powering down again.

Let the tractor sit overnight and came to OrangeTractorTalks to read about similar problems. Next morning checked the undercarriage for loose wires or damage, found none. After sitting overnight it started fine and idled for about 20 minutes. Then it powered down again. After that it started and would only run about a minute before stalling out. Also tried loosening the fuel cap.

Let it sit in the field again overnight. Bled the fuel system as described in the manual. Tractor started and was able to move a short distance, maybe 75 feet, before powering down again. While moving this time the engine started to power down, pushing in the clutch allowed the RPMs to come back up. It moved maybe 10 more feet beyond that before powering down. Let it rest about 1/2 hour 45 minutes, bled the fuel system again. Then it started and moved the last 20 feet to the shed. It was turned off normally this time.

Any ideas of whats going on with it or where to start looking for the problem?
Temperature gauge was reading normal the whole time. The only dash lights that came on were the Electrical charge warning indicator and Engine oil pressure warning indicator. Both of these turned off while it was running, only came on after stalling.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
What does the water seperator look like? Any error codes displayed on dash? Common rails will self bleed easily, sounds like possible restriction in tank or filters if it’s starving for fuel.

Reactions: 1 users

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
Like fordtech86 says check your fuel water separator bowl (see attached) when it dies. If its empty or partially empty you have a fuel restriction from tank. Do you use a fuel additive or algicide?

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Thon

Equipment
L3901
Oct 8, 2021
Florida USA
What does the water seperator look like? Any error codes displayed on dash? Common rails will self bleed easily, sounds like possible restriction in tank or filters if it’s starving for fuel.
No error codes being displayed.
Water separator looks normal... Will go clean it now and look closer at it.

Thon

Equipment
L3901
Oct 8, 2021
Florida USA
Drained and rinsed the water separator.
It was full to the top before but the red float was still on the bottom. After bleeding the fuel again it is now 1/2 full. Rinsing removed a few tiny specks of dirt, otherwise looked clean.

Tractor started on second try and idled for a few minutes before i turned it off.
Thinking to try running it for a while next.

It's using straight diesel, no additives.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
After bleeding the fuel again it is now 1/2 full.
If it’s only half full I would suspect a restriction either in the tank or between tank and seperator (could be the lift pump too, but wouldn’t suspect that yet) common rail will bleed easily just cranking/running engine.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
change the fuel filter. A bad fuel filter looks the same as a new fuel filter. So don’t waste your time inspecting it go and buy a new filter probably need to grab two or three. After you change the filter let us know if there’s any other problems.

wgator

Equipment
Jul 28, 2018
NC
Big G, what? On the 33, 39. 4701. common rail the fuel systen the water separator is not the fuel filter. The fuel filter is a spin on can on the upper right side of engine. (see attached)

Attachments

BigG

Equipment
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Big G, what? On the 33, 39. 4701. common rail the fuel system the water separator is not the fuel filter. The fuel filter is a spin on can on the upper right side of engine. (see attached)
On my tractor the fuel filter is inside the water separator. Often on here the people say they checked the filter. A blocked or damaged filter does not show any problems but it will not allow the fuel to flow correctly. So they often look at the filter and say something like, "It looked good so I put it back in." So the problem will continue to occur.

Thus the statement, Change the fuel filter.

I have been in the trucking business for 12 years. The very first question asked by the shop is how old is the fuel filter.

I was raking hay one day and the tractor ran out of power. My brother's first question to me was, "Did you change the fuel filter?" I changed the filter and it ran better but soon ran out of power. I stopped the tractor and the RPMs would returned. I put on another fuel filter and I was back to full power. In 2000 plus hours on that tractor and I never had a fuel problem again.

Also check the air filter as you stated that you were mowing and the front screen was clogged.

wgator

Equipment
Jul 28, 2018
NC
On my tractor the fuel filter is inside the water separator. Often on here the people say they checked the filter. A blocked or damaged filter does not show any problems but it will not allow the fuel to flow correctly. So they often look at the filter and say something like, "It looked good so I put it back in." So the problem will continue to occur.

Thus the statement, Change the fuel filter.

I have been in the trucking business for 12 years. The very first question asked by the shop is how old is the fuel filter.

I was raking hay one day and the tractor ran out of power. My brother's first question to me was, "Did you change the fuel filter?" I changed the filter and it ran better but soon ran out of power. I stopped the tractor and the RPMs would returned. I put on another fuel filter and I was back to full power. In 2000 plus hours on that tractor and I never had a fuel problem again.

Also check the air filter as you stated that you were mowing and the front screen was clogged.
So whats your point? He, I and fordtech86 only talked about the fuel water separator!. No-one but you talked about fuel filter

BigG

Equipment
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
So whats your point? He, I and fordtech86 only talked about the fuel water separator!. No-one but you talked about fuel filter
My point is change the filter.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
On my tractor the fuel filter is inside the water separator.
this is the case on your tractor and my tractor, but the L3901 is a little different setup due to it being a common rail fuel system. There is still a filter in the separator and it may not hurt to change it, but I don’t believe in this case it’s the OPs issue (but who knows, we aren’t there). There is another filter downstream that gator is referring to that our tractors don’t have.

If the issue is beyond a simple fuel supply issue, it’s probably best left to someone with the diagnostic equipment to hook up to ecu and see what it sees.

Reactions: 1 users

wgator

Equipment
Jul 28, 2018
NC
The fuel water separator is a wire mesh screen that gets cleaned and reinstalled.. It is not a paper filter that gets replaced.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I would pull the fuel like going to the water seperator and see if fuel runs out or just dribbles. If it just dribbles, use some compressed air and blow air back in the fuel tank and see if it does run out then. I had this same problem when I first got my tractor. Make sure you have something that you can clamp off the fuel hose while you are doing this and a good sized can to drain the fuel into.

Thon

Equipment
L3901
Oct 8, 2021
Florida USA
Thanks for all the comments!
Was also going to change the fuel filter too because that part is on hand. Then it started raining and blowing, the pole barn here doesn't have walls so waited until this morning. Going to change it now and will report back.

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
It sounds like the sensor under the seat. Check or replace that. Basically the tractor is detecting the seat for flipped while the tractor is in operation, so it shuts off as a safety feature.