L3901 and L3301

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
Are you one of them? I'd love to hear from someone with actual experience as to why the tier 4 systems are inherently flawed/inferior/crap.

Anyone that I've heard from or talked to that actually are running these systems don't seem to share the opinion that it's something specifically to avoid.
The issue isn't with the regen itself. The issue is a few years from now when the DPF fails, your tractor is worth ~$12k, and suddenly you must spend $2k or more on it that serves ZERO purpose other than to put a smile on the bureaucrats in DC.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
That is when I hope 'Murican or Canuck engineering ingenuity will come up with and aftermarket fix to R&R the regen equip to either restore it or allow it to be removed for good.

Its not like the owners have any recurring emissions testing obligations. As I understand it, the equipment is only required for sale.

(Frank... Here's your opportunity!!!)

Ray

thedevilyoulove

Equipment
L3901 HST with LA525 FEL, Land Pride RCF2572, pallet forks, 3 pt carry all
Jan 27, 2016
Woodbine, Maryland
After around 75 hrs on mine, I've gone through a few regen cycles now. What I'm finding by the whole system is that it's so automated that any fear talk about tier 4 or regen systems is a whole lot about nothing.

I think the folks who would have you believe that the regen system is a massive inconvenience, either are trying to override the system by pressing the regen button or really have no experience with these machines.

I'm loving my 3901, too!
My .02
His has been my experience as well.

Have gone through 2 regen cycles, first at 28 hr and second at 41.4 hr. The only difference I noticed was some added heat and smell from the exhaust. On the 2nd regen the RPM warning light continued to flash even though the tach was reading over 2000 RPM. It did go out after lowering and raising the throttle but then did the same thing again later.
Really love the HST although I notice more heat and now wear hearing protection because of the high pitched whine. My previous tractor was a 40 yr old Russian with gear drive and no power steering. It was my first tractor and it was a beast to drive. What a difference, love the Kubota!
In Russia, the tractor drives you!

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Has anyone tried to delete the DPF? I would like to know for educational benefits only. Im not trying to melt the polar ice caps.
You have a computer system that runs it and is tied to the instrument cluster.

And the fact that the EPA might punish your pocket book.

thedevilyoulove

Equipment
Jan 27, 2016
Woodbine, Maryland
You have a computer system that runs it and is tied to the instrument cluster.

And the fact that the EPA might punish your pocket book.
My understanding is that Kubota has to sell the tractors with DPF but there is no requirement that the owner must keep the DPF.

I'd be interested in a delete kit also, but I have to be honest, the DPF has given me no trouble at all (knock on wood). It's something I would pursue if the DPF started acting up and costing me money.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
My understanding is that Kubota has to sell the tractors with DPF but there is no requirement that the owner must keep the DPF.

I'd be interested in a delete kit also, but I have to be honest, the DPF has given me no trouble at all (knock on wood). It's something I would pursue if the DPF started acting up and costing me money.
So what you are telling us is that a federally mandated emission control device can be removed without recourse?

From the EPA Clean Air act "Tampering the CAA prohibits anyone from tampering with an emission control device on any motor vehicle by removing or making it inoperable prior to or after its delivery to the buyer. etc etc and prosecutes cases of significant or imminent harm is occurring"

Pat

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

I've known someone stranded with a plugged catalytic convertor on a car and couldn't make it up a hill to get home <cough cough> . They popped the clamps that held it on, and hollowed it out with a tire iron, reinstalled it, and headed on up the mountain :rolleyes:

newbota

May 14, 2016
Hattiesburg
I've had a L3901 about 8 days. Today I got an error code (E-20) and found a blown fuse. I changed the fuse and the code went away but it won't crank. Any suggestions?

thedevilyoulove

Equipment
Jan 27, 2016
Woodbine, Maryland
I've had a L3901 about 8 days. Today I got an error code (E-20) and found a blown fuse. I changed the fuse and the code went away but it won't crank. Any suggestions?
Check all safeties (PTO off, clutch all way in or rock HST petal back and forth)

newbota

May 14, 2016
Hattiesburg
No HST. Neutral, F/R neutral, PTO off, disconnected/reconnected battery, range does rabbit or neutral (won't turtle) but range has never kept it from cranking. Gauges & lights normal. Bled air just in case, no water in settlement bulb, drank a beer & smoked a cigarette. Nothing seems to help (except beer and cigarette). Manual says call dealer. Of course it was noon when I tried that. Dang it, I'm going to have to do chores if I can't get it cranked. Oh, thanks for the super quick response.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I'm so glad I bought my L3800 right before that extra EPA emissions crap
went into effect. There was talk of it right before I bought and that pushed me to buy right then. Not wait another year.

Fender5803

Equipment
L3901 LA525 BH77; LP 1860 rotory cutter; LP 1060 grapple; forks & bucket
Aug 9, 2015
Henniker, NH
Hello all,
I am trying to get the correct work shop manual (WSM) for my L3901 we bought last month.

On the Messick's site I find this as a possibility ? My concern is it only says L39.
Like below ...
WSM - L3301, L39
Anybody in this thread find the correct manual anyplace ? I want the hard copy not a .pdf.

Thanks

Fender5803

Equipment
L3901 LA525 BH77; LP 1860 rotory cutter; LP 1060 grapple; forks & bucket
Aug 9, 2015
Henniker, NH
As to my previous post re WSM.
I noticed that if i wanted an owners manual (which I have) it lists L3901 in description as below ...

Kubota: OM L3301, L3901

Hmmm ... maybe a phone call is necessary

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
As to my previous post re WSM.
I noticed that if i wanted an owners manual (which I have) it lists L3901 in description as below ...

Kubota: OM L3301, L3901

Hmmm ... maybe a phone call is necessary
Messick's is very helpful by phone and email, but Kubota often puts a whole series in the same manual, so it is likely the correct one.

frysl

Equipment
L3301 LA525 FEL & FDR1672 6' Finish Mower
Jun 13, 2016
Sumner County, TN
Im having a bit of trouble with a new 3301. When I disconnect or reconnect the LA525 FEL, the pin on the right side is a bit of a problem to get out and put back in.
I have to work it out by rotating back and forth, to get it in the last 1/2 way, I have to put my boot heel to it.
Tractor has 14 hours on it.
Doing this in my drive, so its on nice level concrete, tires are all inflated properly.
Any advice?
Steve

Ryansweatt2004

Equipment
2017 kubota L3901HST
Jul 2, 2015
West gardiner maine, USA
Im having a bit of trouble with a new 3301. When I disconnect or reconnect the LA525 FEL, the pin on the right side is a bit of a problem to get out and put back in.
I have to work it out by rotating back and forth, to get it in the last 1/2 way, I have to put my boot heel to it.
Doing this in my drive, so its on nice level concrete, tires are all inflated properly.
Any advice?
Steve
Do you put a little down pressure on the loader before pulling the pins? That usually helps.

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
Any advice?
Steve
When you take it on or off do not use your arms to lift the loader frame. Use the curl function on your bucket and it goes on and off easier. When you put it back on put the pin in that goes easy and then curl the front of you bucket to line the second one up. Mine does the same thing and this is how I solved that. I am thinking maybe the loader mount on one side settled but am not sure what the cause is