L3901/3301 Winter operations

Fido Farms

Equipment
L3901, 35 Massey, Summit X 146, Polaris 700 RMK, Yamaha Viking
May 27, 2018
Canada
Does any one put on winter fronts on their tractors for winter use? I’m talking snow blowing at -30 and cooler?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I have a B2650 with front snowblower. First winter I got by with a plastic bag over brush guard, but last winter too much snow was getting sucked into the engine compartment and forming ice on the radiator screen and getting in to the air filter, so I made an experimental prototype (just call me Rube Goldberg) out of the corner of a fitted bed sheet held on with three magnets and a rubber band on the hood mascot. Stop laughing! It worked great! Running temp went from 2 bars to 3. No more ice on the screen or in the airfilter. Kubota makes one for the B3350 but I think it is $300 or so.

They tell the B owners to take the snorkel off the air intake or turn it down as another partial solution.

I think a good idea for the L series with dpf filters too even if not snowblowing.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
The temps in my area are relatively mild, so I have never covered my front grill. I don’t use a front mount blower though, which as SheepFarmer states, can cause air intake problems.
Check your intake tube after use, and if there is no snow buildup I wouldn’t worry about closing off the grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Does any one put on winter fronts on their tractors for winter use? I***8217;m talking snow blowing at -30 and cooler?
A situation often not recognized, is the engine hood freezing shut. This winter, my battery decided it had reached the end of its life and yet I had a severe snow storm to deal with. I could not get the hood open so as to access the battery to charge or boost.

The rubber seals the hood closes against had melted snow freeze the hood solidly closed. I tried starting one last time and with great luck the engine fired up. Now I put silicone grease on the rubber seals.

My blowing snow issue is with a slipping fan belt. It is new and properly tensioned but when snow swirls inside it slips and I notice the many lights dim for a few seconds.

As Sheepfarmer has said, others have reported problems with their air filters getting clogged with snow so each machine has different issues.

Dave

FrozenOrange

Equipment
L3901HST, B7100
May 8, 2017
North Pole Alaska
I will run my tractor down to about-10 f. During winter. I found one nice trick. When you have the hood open just in front of the radiator is a pull out screen. I remove that and slide in a piece of plexiglass (happened to be the right size laying on my workbench) or cardboard would do. It slows the airflow thru the radiator and allows the engine to build a little heat. After shutting down for the day I have an old sleeping bag with a broken zipper i drape over the engine/hood. When I plug in the block heater it stays nice and toasty. Engine is easy. The hydro system is my biggest worry after a good cold soaking. Gotta warm transmission and all hydraulics slowly and carefully. My 3901 did fine it's first winter up here.