L3800 Synthetic Oil Change

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
L3800 with 15 hours on it. How many hours before I can safely change it over to synthetic oil. No doubt 50 hours would be a good time but it's liable to be next year before I get there. If the 50 hour is needed for break in I'll just change out the factory oil at 25 hours. Thanks, Ed B

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I don't know that it maters, but I stayed with Reg Kubota oil until around 100 hours then switched to Rotella 5-40 synthetic. Just make sure you do change it at 50 hrs...

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
I don't know that it maters, but I stayed with Reg Kubota oil until around 100 hours then switched to Rotella 5-40 synthetic. Just make sure you do change it at 50 hrs...
Thanks. It will definately get changed at 50 hours. My work truck, car, and other tractor get oil changes for time more often than hours. Ed B

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
L3800 with 15 hours on it. How many hours before I can safely change it over to synthetic oil. No doubt 50 hours would be a good time but it's liable to be next year before I get there. If the 50 hour is needed for break in I'll just change out the factory oil at 25 hours. Thanks, Ed B
Ed,

I dont want to start a long post about the proper properties of SYNTHETIC oils vs conventional oils.......but

It is never too soon nor too late to switch!!!

Here are a few myths, once you go to syn you can never go back, bullshyte............look it up

You need to break in with conv oil ............bullshyte again..........

High tech race cars all have synthetic in them from the factory, they will break in just fine!!!!!!!!!

Synthetics are NOT more slippery that conv oil.....not true...........

the only real problem with synth oil, it costs more and will run by OLD seals faster than an old conv oil.

Synthetic oil just don't break down as fast, they have a little different make up, the inside stuff is mo better in the protection area.

Back it the 50's you used straight 30 weight oil.......only thing they had then,
now you would not place straight 30 in your car now would you ?????????

Diesels are a little different animals, they need a oil that can take all that high compression and stuff getting by the rings and be able to handle it better than a gas engine, diesel engine oils have stuff in them to capture the bad stuff. Diesel engine oils will get dirtier faster than a gas engine - and this goes to another point - dirty oil isnt bad oil, it is an oil that is doing it's job!!!!

personally - i use synthetic in everything i own that DOES NOT BURN IT, then I go to wally world and by the cheapest oil i can find for the burners....

When i changed by oil at 50 - i went to the kubota dealership - bought my stuff and used it .............i will always use the kubota hydraulic oil and filters, and may stick with their oil for engines.......but i will be changing to all synthetic oil for the hydro units here soon, just works and sound better.

look up a great book - the "oil bible" - lots of stuff here to read , some way over most peoples heads, but the truth is there......

hey - not really my opinion, the truth is out there, read it for yourself.

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
85 Hokie, thanks for the reply. You are absolutley right about the myths concerning synthetics. I run Shell Rotella T in my truck and the diesel Mercedes came from the factory with synthetic oil. My concern about switching the Kubota to syn is if there is a recommended break in period before switching. I will most definately swap the hydraulics over at 50 hours. Hopefully the HST will get a little quieter at that point. And I will take the time to check the oil bible. Thanks, Ed B

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yepper I changed over to M1 15w50 in the Harley after the first dealer oil change and never looked back, I figured that if syn oil is good enough for a Viper motor it should be good enough for the bike and the Bouta,, oh yeah and i got 60% better gas milage and 72% more horse powed too:rolleyes:

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
Yepper I changed over to M1 15w50 in the Harley after the first dealer oil change and never looked back, I figured that if syn oil is good enough for a Viper motor it should be good enough for the bike and the Bouta,, oh yeah and i got 60% better gas milage and 72% more horse powed too:rolleyes:
I was hoping for twice the HP and no fuel consumption!